JKABBQ

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
That is a great idea. I also love the diamond back covers because of how stout they are. I just didn't want a hard cover for me personally on my JT. To the OP, If you can just pop your cover open and roll it up so easy, maybe you should opt for some of these other choices out there like the diamond back.
The mod to lock it down is a great idea. The other choices out there are also something I need to look into if I intend to stick with a tonneau cover. Definitely though, I was able to just lift (without difficultly) the cover and roll it back. Smoked over 120 beef dogs with the oak pellets I had in the bed.

844FB2B0-3646-41D1-8836-62694E17AF1B.jpeg
Sponsored

JT-S-Maxi-IND

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 1998 Pontiac Sunfire convertible
Occupation
Retired (Sales)
The mod to lock it down is a great idea. The other choices out there are also something I need to look into if I intend to stick with a tonneau cover. Definitely though, I was able to just lift (without difficultly) the cover and roll it back. Smoked over 120 beef dogs with the oak pellets I had in the bed.

844FB2B0-3646-41D1-8836-62694E17AF1B.jpeg
If you close the tail gate first then latch the soft tonneau, the tonneau is easy to lift at the corner. If you latch/lock the tonneau first, then close the tailgate it’s much harder (at least on my Sport S). This latch hook is a great idea and There are several other “latching” ideas on the forum. If I can find the thread, I link it in.

here’s the thread with multiple ideas for securing the soft tonneau

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...diator-soft-tonneau-cover-for-under-15.21500/

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry gang, you must have a different oem cover. When my tail gate is up, but not locked you can open the cover. However, when the tailgate is up and locked, the tonneau cover is locked.
I have the factory, ordered when I made the order for my built Gladiator, cover that is cloth and rolls up.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Sorry gang, you must have a different oem cover. When my tail gate is up, but not locked you can open the cover. However, when the tailgate is up and locked, the tonneau cover is locked.
Im interested in what cover you may have, because this is the first I’ve heard. I have the OEM roll up and it is in no way a part of the tailgate nor any electrical system. It’s an independent item.

Sounds cool!

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
Im interested in what cover you may have, because this is the first I’ve heard. I have the OEM roll up and it is in no way a part of the tailgate nor any electrical system. It’s an independent item.

Sounds cool!
I know I spent too much for my diamondback but I feel pretty comfortable going to a seedy shopping area with my truck now.

:rock:

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I return to my forum friends hat in hand.

I confidently went into the garage video recording device in hand, determined to prove my point. I opened the tailgate and searched for any mechanism that would deploy and lock the tonneau when I lock the truck. Discovering no obvious device, I lifted the end of the cover easily, then closed the tailgate. I closed the end of the cover and pressed the lock button on the fob. I could still lift the end of the cover, but I noticed it wasn’t fully seated or sealed as the rear weather stripping was sitting on top of the tailgate. Aha! That must be it! I unlocked the truck and lowered the tailgate, observing the end of the cover drop slightly into place. I closed the tailgate and confidently locked the truck noticing the weatherstripping on the end of the cover was now inside the tailgate and the sides were properly sealing the bed. I smiled wryly to myself and boldly pulled up on the end of the cover.

And...it opened! To William’s point above, it took a bit more effort as the end weatherstripping was pressed up against the tailgate.

I stand humbled by my audacity, red faced in my defiance, and contrite in my acceptance of the inaccuracy of my assertions.

I offer only my recollection of an earlier thread on this forum stating that locking the tailgate would also lock the tonneau. Of course this was prior to delivery of any Gladiator and was pure conjecture.

Anyway my brothers and sisters, surely you may find it in your kind hearts to forgive my foolishness.

I’ll buy beers!

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link

I confidently went into the garage video recording device in hand, determined to prove my point. I opened the tailgate and searched for any mechanism that would deploy and lock the tonneau when I lock the truck. Discovering no obvious device, I lifted the end of the cover easily, then closed the tailgate. I closed the end of the cover and pressed the lock button on the fob. I could still lift the end of the cover, but I noticed it wasn’t fully seated or sealed as the rear weather stripping was sitting on top of the tailgate. Aha! That must be it! I unlocked the truck and lowered the tailgate, observing the end of the cover drop slightly into place. I closed the tailgate and confidently locked the truck noticing the weatherstripping on the end of the cover was now inside the tailgate and the sides were properly sealing the bed. I smiled wryly to myself and boldly pulled up on the end of the cover.

And...it opened! To William’s point above, it took a bit more effort as the end weatherstripping was pressed up against the tailgate.

I stand humbled by my audacity, red faced in my defiance, and contrite in my acceptance of the inaccuracy of my assertions.

I offer only my recollection of an earlier thread on this forum stating that locking the tailgate would also lock the tonneau. Of course this was prior to delivery of any Gladiator and was pure conjecture.

Anyway my brothers and sisters, surely you may find it in your kind hearts to forgive my foolishness.

I’ll buy beers!
lol ! I enjoyed reading your post ! No worries, we all hoped it locked when we first bought our Gladiators... It kinda feels, and looks like it, but, unfortunately, it is a fake out.... lol.

OP
OP
JKABBQ

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40

I’ll buy beers!
All good! I’ll supply the BBQ!

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

I’ll buy beers!
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing right after getting mine. It felt locked down if you closed the tailgate after you closed the cover, but after claiming that mine locked, I did like you and went out and noticed there was no mechanism, and that if I tried real hard, I could open the cover. But it wasn't easy.

JT-S-Maxi-IND

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 1998 Pontiac Sunfire convertible
Occupation
Retired (Sales)

I’ll buy beers!
no harm. I too enjoyed reading your post and appreciate you coming back to let us know.

RenoRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I know I spent too much for my diamondback but I feel pretty comfortable going to a seedy shopping area with my truck now.

:rock:
This is exactly why i ordered a diamondback for our JT, figured I would splurge instead of the trifold ones since we don't often haul large items that require folding the tonneau back.
Sponsored