Sponsored

Jeep pickup available mid 2019, will be "intentionally" expensive

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
FWIW, I sent an email to Jeep to let them know how disappointing this news is.

Maybe enough of us can let them know, maybe not.
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I wonder when he says its going to expensive if he means 30K+ or 35K+ or 40K + .... I'm still curious to see what the entry point is since there will be two trims. I wonder if I'm correct when I said in the other thread that I think they may only offer a Sahara / Rubicon trim vs a Sport/ Rubicon trim. If thats the case then we would be at $35K+ entry point.
I'm now thinking the $50,000+ talk may be closer to the bullseye. I can't flipping believe it but I don't think he would chase off customers by saying expensive at $35K-$40K.

He was in Detroit at the time maybe he was on some crack or something? Lets hope!!

The Wild One

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scrambler
Occupation
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
FWIW, I sent an email to Jeep to let them know how disappointing this news is.
Me, too. I was thinking after 30 years of owning run-of-the-mill Toyotas, Chevys, and Nissans, I might be able to get something interesting, like a Jeep truck, but not if it's "intentionally" expensive. Booooo!

Maybe if it was unintentionally expensive? Naaaah.

I've stayed away from FCA vehicles, because frankly, the "dodgy" engineering. Pun intended! But, with this, the price is keeping me away, too.

ZMB KLR

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 VW R32
If it's "intentionally" expensive, it must be "intentionally" well equipped. Maybe not expensive in the sense of a base model, but on the Sahara/Rubicon end.

Otherwise, see you later.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
If it's "intentionally" expensive, it must be "intentionally" well equipped. Maybe not expensive in the sense of a base model, but on the Sahara/Rubicon end.

Otherwise, see you later.
That is kind of where my thinking is as well. From the spy shots it looks like they are rolling around on 285's with a few spy shots of the front resembling the sway bar disconnect motor so that would lend credit to the Rubicon inspired version.

I'm kind of expecting to pay upwards of 50K at this point given the crazy prices of optioned out JLU's. The final cost will ultimately determine which powertrain combination I end up getting. I am disappointed that they are saying second or third quarter 2019 for a release. I've been saving my pennies since 2015 already. Hurry up!

Sponsored

SS_Syndicate

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sevenslotsyndicate.com
Vehicle(s)
'13-JKUR, '16 KL Cherokee, '17 4-Runner, '67 Kaiser M715
Occupation
Engineer, Blogger, Vlogger
I wonder if this is a plot to get those of us that are waiting on the JT to go ahead and jump on the JL.... only later to be sad and switch to the JT?

I agree with others, this is VERY sad news. I can see the JT being more than a Colorado or Ranger a bit as they don't have removable doors or a soft top (things I put value in). But if this goes right into the Raptor pricing... I'm likely to just get the larger Raptor (although I think the mark is the Ranger Raptor which I haven't seen pricing for.)

The later '19 release also puts this dangerously close to the new Bronco... There sure are a LOT of cool enthusiast type vehicles launching over the next few years. I just hope the price doesn't drift to the point many enthusiast choose other directions. If I can't get into a mid-equipped Rubicon-ish trimmed JT for under $50k I will (sadly) be on another one.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Not happy.

I've wanted a Wrangler since I was a kid, and the prospect of a truck with the same features/styling, which would be more useful for my needs, was exciting.

I might consider a 1500 class pickup but really want to finally get my Wrangler.

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
So disappointing on every level. I did not believe the $50,000 rumors. I said to myself how do they expect to compete. I guess they don't. I may go order my Jl sport s soon.
Ditto here. Having driven my uncle's Gladiator in the '70's and '80's I was really looking forward to this. Very discouraging for some of us working class Joes. Sounds like it's to be the 2019 version of the Hummer many drove as "Status symbols?" We used to joke to each other that we never saw a Hummer that had a speck of dirt on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler
This guy is such an elitist prick. I'm glad he is on his way out. I've been predicting that the JT is going to be $3-5k more than the JL and this seems to prove my point. Maybe the next FCA boss will have some sense.

SS_Syndicate

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sevenslotsyndicate.com
Vehicle(s)
'13-JKUR, '16 KL Cherokee, '17 4-Runner, '67 Kaiser M715
Occupation
Engineer, Blogger, Vlogger
This guy is such an elitist prick. I'm glad he is on his way out. I've been predicting that the JT is going to be $3-5k more than the JL and this seems to prove my point. Maybe the next FCA boss will have some sense.
$3-5K sounds about right to me... there is more material, and the axles have more beef, likely the brakes and some other stuff too. If the adder for a JT is only this amount more than a similarly equipped JLU then I'm okay. Sadly, it sounds like the "adder" may be twice that.

In other news... if it ends up not being named a "Gladiator" this site becomes awkwardly named...

Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
$3-5K sounds about right to me... there is more material, and the axles have more beef, likely the brakes and some other stuff too. If the adder for a JT is only this amount more than a similarly equipped JLU then I'm okay. Sadly, it sounds like the "adder" may be twice that.

In other news... if it ends up not being named a "Gladiator" this site becomes awkwardly named...
Nah then we just all pretend we're CJ-8 owners. ;)

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
Great..... just great...... I think i will go get a raptor.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Think I may be out of this as well.......

ne4now

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD, Harley Custom Softail
This SUCKS! I am likely out as too. I have always wanted a Wrangler but have a camaro & harley that already sit garaged too much and I need a truck as a daily driver. The idea of a jeep pickup was perfect and I fell in love with the renders. I prefer a smaller pickup and am currently driving a '15 Tacoma TRD quad cab w/ a short bed that suits my needs perfectly. I have done nothing to the Taco for upgrades because I basically bought it as a holdover until this jeep pickup would come out. Looks like I am ordering some accessories.
I wouldn't spend significantly more or "intentionally expensive" prices for the jeep over the Taco. Maybe I can find one off lease or used after they have been out for a couple years but it looks like my intentions to pre-order one are gone.
Still holding out hope that prices arent completely ridiculous new but when the boss uses the words he did, It sounds bad.

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Seems like “lifestyle” vehicles are what manufactures are going after.

If the JT is anything like what the new Ranger is going after; beaches and snowboarding lifestyles, and not more like the rubicon JL specs, it may not be worth it either way.

This is really sad and pathetic news from both Jeep and Ford.

One tries to price out because they can (no competition makes that a lot easier for them) Jeep

And the other, too afraid to go after the Wrangler. Ford

That’s not quite where Ford is headed. “We’re going to play differently,” Farley says. “Our recreational position is not like off-road crawling. It’s go to the beach, go to the mountains, be safe and confident you can get there.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-taking-jeep-174545887.html
Sponsored