Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
What's the big surprise? We all knew the truck wouldn't be cheap, and that it wouldn't come in a 'base' model. Like some others on here, I'm guessing $3-5K over a comparable Rubicon or Sahara, for a similarly equipped JT. And they'll probably sell every single one they make, without trouble. And like ZMB KLR said, I'm assuming it's "intentionally expensive" because it's intentionally well-equipped; ie: only something like Sahara/Rubicon models.

Will it be more expensive than a comparable Tacoma TRD O-R/Pro, ZR2, or Ranger Raptor? Probably. But I would expect them to be with a couple grand price-wise. But those other trucks are based on mass-market platforms that cover everything from stripper models to high-end versions, while the JT isn't (the JL isn't a mass market platform in the way those other vehicles are). Jeep won't be building "fleet special" JTs to help bolster sales of higher end models - you won't see your local NAPA guy running around town in a parts-runner JT.

The ZR2 starts at basically $43K for a V6 crew-cab short box. That's going to be the closest vehicle to a JT "Rubicon". The Tacoma Limited and TRD Pro both start just over $40K. JLU Sahara starts at $37K, and the JLU Rubicon starts at $40K, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the JT started around $40K. Which is all kinda crazy considering the Power Wagon starts around $51K, and it's a 3/4-ton, with Rubicon equipment (lockers front/rear, push-button swaybar disconnect), a 6.4L HEMI, and a 12K Warn winch...

And speaking of RAM, I'd be extremely surprised if they built a RAM-branded mid-sized truck off the JL/JT platform. If RAM re-introduced a mid-sized truck, it'd likely be built off of one of FIAT's "world" platforms and wouldn't primarily be aimed at the NA market.
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I agree if Ram builds a Dakota it will not be based of the JT but the Fiat Toro:

176.png

I also think that with the Gladiator only having two trim levels its going to be Sahara / Rubicon based and no Sport base. If you look at the JL you can already tell Jeep dosen't want to offer Sport trims in how the new Sport is equipped and how a lot of the desirable options are not available on the Sport forcing people up to higher trim levels. Jeep knows that while this might anger people they don't really have any other options. Even when it comes to mid size trucks if you want solid axels, and removable top you will not have any other option. It basically comes down to are those two items worth it over going to a IFS/Solid top set up for less money.

For me the new 1500 is really appealing as I want a Overlander. So the larger payload and larger towing, plus way more comfort and tech (check out this interior below)

rm019_147fncv6chgqdjbq7utgtlu5fiiad1f.jpg

for similar money makes it a lot harder to pass up. Although I know the Jeep will still have better resale value, a removable top, and more compact size (which I like).

Last edited by a moderator:

ne4now

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD, Harley Custom Softail
Makes sense. Am extremely surprised none of the big3 have come up with a compact pickup seeings how the new ones have all grown so much, and crossovers are so popular. There has to be a market for a smaller-bodied truck that sacrifices towing & load capacity but makes up for it with improved economy and other things that come along with a smaller vehicle. I personally loved the original Ridglines (brother has one with over 200K on it) and thought the utility of it was great but the new one looks like a minivan w/ a bed on it and I couldnt bring myself to even test drive one. If RAM decides to go that route, they could capitalize on being the only ones in that category and maybe even offer a JEEP branded vehicle on that platform as well.
hqdefault.jpg

Hyundais Concept Truck was interesting:
Jeep Gladiator Jeep pickup available mid 2019, will be "intentionally" expensive {filename}

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense. Am extremely surprised none of the big3 have come up with a compact pickup seeings how the new ones have all grown so much. There has to be a market for a smaller-bodied truck that sacrifices towing & load capacity but makes up for it with improved economy and other things that come along with a smaller vehicle. I personally loved the original Ridglines (brother has one with over 200K on it) and thought the utility of it was great but the new one looks like a minivan w/ a bed on it and I couldnt bring myself to even test drive one. If RAM decides to go that route, they could capitalize on being the only ones in that category and maybe even offer a JEEP branded vehicle on that platform as well.
Jeep Gladiator Jeep pickup available mid 2019, will be "intentionally" expensive {filename}
I think there IS a market for that small life style pick up Under $35K price point. There are a ton of Subaru Owners that I could see wanting a compact pick up instead for similar money that is focused on similar capabilities but with the utility of a bed. Also great for people that live in larger cities where a mid and full size truck are problematic from a daily driving standpoint.

cbasil

First Name
connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JK
What's the big surprise? We all knew the truck wouldn't be cheap, and that it wouldn't come in a 'base' model. Like some others on here, I'm guessing $3-5K over a comparable Rubicon or Sahara, for a similarly equipped JT. And they'll probably sell every single one they make, without trouble. And like ZMB KLR said, I'm assuming it's "intentionally expensive" because it's intentionally well-equipped; ie: only something like Sahara/Rubicon models.

Will it be more expensive than a comparable Tacoma TRD O-R/Pro, ZR2, or Ranger Raptor? Probably. But I would expect them to be with a couple grand price-wise. But those other trucks are based on mass-market platforms that cover everything from stripper models to high-end versions, while the JT isn't (the JL isn't a mass market platform in the way those other vehicles are). Jeep won't be building "fleet special" JTs to help bolster sales of higher end models - you won't see your local NAPA guy running around town in a parts-runner JT.

The ZR2 starts at basically $43K for a V6 crew-cab short box. That's going to be the closest vehicle to a JT "Rubicon". The Tacoma Limited and TRD Pro both start just over $40K. JLU Sahara starts at $37K, and the JLU Rubicon starts at $40K, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the JT started around $40K. Which is all kinda crazy considering the Power Wagon starts around $51K, and it's a 3/4-ton, with Rubicon equipment (lockers front/rear, push-button swaybar disconnect), a 6.4L HEMI, and a 12K Warn winch...

And speaking of RAM, I'd be extremely surprised if they built a RAM-branded mid-sized truck off the JL/JT platform. If RAM re-introduced a mid-sized truck, it'd likely be built off of one of FIAT's "world" platforms and wouldn't primarily be aimed at the NA market.
If the Jeep truck starts at 40k that's actually fine. But if It starts at 50k+ that's a complete deal breaker. I would never pay 57k plus tax and added fees, just to get into a lifestyle truck. A well equipped 40k truck is reasonable.

1/2 and 3/4 ton American trucks always have huge discounts though, typically of around 10k off msrp. If I could get into a Power Wagon for around 40k, I would obviously choose that over a JT. If Jeep made a JT equivalent to the Sport S model, and priced it starting at 37k, that would be a real winner.

Sponsored

cbasil

First Name
connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JK
I agree if Ram builds a Dakota it will not be based of the JT but the Fiat Toro:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ram does wind up building a midsize, true body on frame pickup. With the Ranger coming back, Ram might feel like it wants a piece of the midsize pie, and a unibody Fiat based offering won't cut it. No one is really cross-shopping a Tacoma or a Colorado with a Honda Ridgeline. A fiat based unibody pickup won't sell well in the US.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
I wouldn't be surprised if Ram does wind up building a midsize, true body on frame pickup. With the Ranger coming back, Ram might feel like it wants a piece of the midsize pie, and a unibody Fiat based offering won't cut it. No one is really cross-shopping a Tacoma or a Colorado with a Honda Ridgeline. A fiat based unibody pickup won't sell well in the US.

ive just been reading an article by wheels magazine & it said that marcioni or how ever you spell his name said they were looking at doing just that it would mostly be branded as a ram but as a fiat for some markets

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
I'd be surprised if RAM did that. Unlike the Ford and the "new" Ranger, FCA doesn't have an existing BOF platform to bring to the US market for a resurrected Dakota. Their only option would be to co-opt the JT platform or come up with an all-new platform just for a US Dakota. The JT platform is SFA, and while they might could do an IFS version like they've done with the RAM platform, I don't really see them going to those lengths. And a new Dakota would have to be IFS. Plus to compete across the board with the Tacoma, Colorado, and Ranger they'd need to have multiple cab and bed offerings, and the JT is [currently] a one-size-fits-all platform. (you can get any cab and bed you want, as long as it's crew cab, short bed). A Fiat-based unibody "truck" would be a better fit for a "world" market truck that would skew heavily to the commercial sector (think: parts-runners, delivery trucks, etc - think more along their current ProMaster line).

That said... historically the Dakota had a V8 available, and it'd be kickass if they did bring back a mid-sized BOF Dakota with a HEMI... not that I think that'd actually happen at this point, but it'd certainly be cool and give them a selling point over Ford/GM/Toyota... just imagine a HellDak! lol.

propkillr

First Name
Howell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jk
My 93 YJ got to the point that i was replacing frame on it. I gave it to my son. I bought a 2018 JK Willys because I didn't think my 93 would last until the JT came out. Now the talk is this truck, which I have waited for for over thirty years, will be priced out of my range. If I can't afford the JT, then I"ll put a little money into my Willys for bumper and winch and retire with this jeep.
I agree that if Jeep prices the JT high they wont sale that many. then again we will go years without a real 4x4 to roam where ever we want to!

Link Pin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara, 1999 Sport 6.0 4L Manual
Occupation
Retired
HMMMM I thought ALL wranglers were “Lifestyle” vehicles.
Wrangler Sport = no nonsense adventure $
Wrangler Sahara = no nonsense adventure with a few amenities $$
Wrangler Rubicon = no nonsense adventure, amenities and towing capacity $$$
Wrangler Gladiator = pickup truck camping adventure, amenities, light hauling, and towing capacity $$$$

The Wranglers support a wide range of interests with a wide price point when you consider that quite a few are models available in 2 and 4 door versions.

My happy spot would have been a 2 or 4 door Wrangler Sport pickup.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Right, but although it was to be Wrangler based, there was some hope/evidence that the JT was going to fill a gap in the lineup and be a legitimate truck.

For example, the Ram based rear suspension and higher towing capacity.

Jeep hasn't had a legitimate truck for a long time. Sounds like the JT will be a tweener.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Wrangler Sport = no nonsense adventure $
Wrangler Sahara = no nonsense adventure with a few amenities $$
Wrangler Rubicon = no nonsense adventure, amenities and towing capacity $$$
Wrangler Gladiator = pickup truck camping adventure, amenities, light hauling, and towing capacity $$$$

The Wranglers support a wide range of interests with a wide price point when you consider that quite a few are models available in 2 and 4 door versions.

My happy spot would have been a 2 or 4 door Wrangler Sport pickup.
The Rubicon has better towing capacity ? Didn’t know that.