Jeep pickup available mid 2019, will be "intentionally" expensive

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Seems like “lifestyle” vehicles are what manufactures are going after.

If the JT is anything like what the new Ranger is going after; beaches and snowboarding lifestyles, and not more like the rubicon JL specs, it may not be worth it either way.
Hopefully Jeep knowing how the masses view the brand and its rugged capability they will adhere to what has made the Wrangler successful in the past with the added benefits of a properly engineered truck. If they were to take away what makes the Wrangler so capable intentionally and go after a different market it would probably tarnish their reputation as a rugged go anywhere, do anything brand ever so slightly and even hurt Wrangler sales. Hopefully they aren't willing to take a hit like that and give us a legit off-road truck that's a perfect blend of Wrangler capability and truck functionality. If they hit that and incorporate the tasty tidbits from the Rubicon we have a winner. Only issue at that point is so many of us being priced out of the vehicle we have wanted forever. Great points camodog and if they don't offer those specs I will be getting a Rubicon myself.
Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
The only purpose for intentionally setting a high price on the Gladiator is the Ram division (which shared engineering designs) intend on returning the Dakota in 2020. I have seen some folks comment on the Bronco and from what I have read the Bronco is going to be very similar to the Ford Everest, a body on frame grocery getter being sold overseas. It is not going to be the Everest. Rather it will be a new SUV built on the new Ford Ranger platform (another lifestyle truck, snowboarder and beach goers). It will have lIght towing, probably around 5k, powered by a 2.3 Ecoboost. It is not something most folks looking at the Gladiator (off road capable with decent payload/towing) would be interested in. If Ram puts out a Dakota with the underpinnings of the Gladiator, I think us regular Joe folks will be satisfied, and those that want to go topless will have the Gladiator option.

A NEW DAKOTA? REPORT CITES POTENTIAL FOR MIDSIZE RAM PICKUP
Jeep Wrangler pickup could get a Ram companion, courtesy of Fiat
MARCH 30, 2016

Midsize trucks are making a comeback with the return of the GMC Canyon, Chevrolet Colorado and Toyota Tacoma. Even a midsizer based on the Jeep Wrangler is in the works.

But one brand conspicuously sitting out the midsize truck party is Ram, which is supposed to be all about trucks.

That could soon change, according to a report from The Detroit News, which talked to the head of Ram and Jeep brands Mike Manley on the sidelines of the New York auto show.

"I think there's opportunity there in the U.S. if you look at what's happened in the mid-size segment here –- significant growth last year," Manley told The Detroit News. "I think that space is big enough, certainly, to have two offerings there," Manley added, referring to the confirmed Wrangler pickup and one unnamed model.

Manley stopped short of confirming that a midsize entry was in the works for North America, though his comments came just a couple of weeks after FCA announced a focus on growing the Ram truck brand overseas. In the near term, Ram is also expected to take opportunities of existing hardware within the greater FCA family.

Manley told The Detroit News that Ram could use an existing Fiat platform for a midsize truck in North America. Bob Hegbloom, who was made head of Ram International weeks ago, reportedly traveled to Brazil this month to discuss such opportunities with Fiat executives.

The Fiat Toro, produced for the local Brazilian market, could potentially serve as the basis for a midsize Ram pickup if it could be produced in North America. Ram has already taken advantage of Fiat's offerings by bringing the Fiat Ducato to the States badged as the Ram Promaster and Promaster City, setting up production in Mexico.

The main barrier to Fiat Toro being offered in the States under the Ram badge is local production. The Jeep Wrangler pickup will be assembled in Toledo, Ohio, alongside the other Wrangler variants, so an assembly facility for an unrelated model with its own engines would not be immediately obvious or easy.

Just a year ago Hegbloom himself was skeptical of the idea of a small Ram truck joining the lineup, though that was before new arrivals to the segment and the latest sales figures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I could certainly see that becoming a reality with the Ram version offering the stripped down work/fleet layout to satisfy that portion of the market with even higher trimmed versions for those looking for a plush offering while the Jeep truck focuses on the lifestyle and off-road segment. Would make sense from a company wide perspective and would allow them to target Toyota and Chevrolet/GMC's mid-size offerings and be competitive there. That would allow the Jeep truck to maybe focus on out competing the ZR2 and TRD Pro even though they said they aren't trying to compete, and whether that means the lower tier trucks or all together I am not sure. Good information thanks for sharing!

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I think it's likely with the being Ram softer than the Gladiator to compete with the GM twins, Ridgeline, new Frontier (Navara) and Ranger. Easy to beat those with right Ram/Jeep underpinnings. Probably powered with the Jeep 2.0 Turbo 4cy Hurricane engine mated to the ZF 8 speed . That would get 300 HP with non diesel segment leading fuel economy.

dboz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Buick Skylark 2012 Mustang GT 2016 Kia Optima SXL 2016 Acura RDX
I figured I was going to be OUT after pricing out a Sahara JL that was bare bones and 50k. Just a question. What lifestyle ALLOWS one to pay 50-60k for a truck to take off road and F+$k it all up? And how many hard core off roaders are really out there that would do that enough to justify spending that much? This is going to have to cater to serious enthusiasts only with deep pockets. As I have mentioned this will hurt JL sales. They aren't going to bring in new buyers, they will just poach JL sales for those who like the look better or whatever. It's basically a BRUTE without AEV getting the money. Under 100000 a year, have to laugh at that. Ain't no way in hell they are going to find 100k buyers a year to drop 50-60k on a Jeep truck. As others have mentioned, that is Raptor territory. Horrendous business decision. I am guessing they don't sell 20000 a year. And if they do, the JL sales will be an equal amount lower. Spending all this money in development and more than likely failing to increase your market share is typical Chrysler. I do like the new RAM but it's just too big for a daily for my needs. Maybe a Dakota is in the works at a cheaper price but no mention of that yet in public so I have to assume many years out. The Ranger is getting my looks now. Still open to a Ridgeline but just so damned soft looking.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SKT

First Name
SKT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

FCA is a business; therefore, they exist to make as much money as possible.

Here is a loaded JLUR for $52k. Notice the $5k dealership markup:

29AA224B-79F8-4B8D-BA8F-9D4455F4770F.jpeg
EF04DA92-64DE-4307-A8CF-02E8DCA855E9.jpeg

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I say it every day. THANK GOD I DON'T LIVE IN CALIFORNIA!!!

FCA are not the ones marking JL's up over MSRP. That blame falls souly on the dealership.

dboz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bare bones Sahara is $38,540 That is hardly $50,000.
Cloth seats and a V6. Must have added a few options. Surely not loaded. Surely not cheap. It's an off road vehicle, not a Cadillac.

dboz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

FCA is a business; therefore, they exist to make as much money as possible.

Here is a loaded JLUR for $52k. Notice the $5k dealership markup:

29AA224B-79F8-4B8D-BA8F-9D4455F4770F.jpeg
EF04DA92-64DE-4307-A8CF-02E8DCA855E9.jpeg

I also noticed you need to take 2200 worth of stupid dealer money makers on top of the markup.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Wow. $7k in BS add-ins and mark ups. Not sure who is gullible enough to simply burn 7 grand. Not me. What an absolute screw job.

spdster m38

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys M38
Sergio should pay attention to GMC. They did the same thing with their SSR (Super Sport Roadster)and their dealers added their markup too. It lasted 3 years because a niche market eventually dried up. Your company of all companies should be aware of this or should I mention the Prowler, the Viper, the PT Cruizer and the Crossfire. Price it so the working stiff can afford it, have to wonder about a guy who wants a Jeep that can pick any car from his company lineup - FIAT, Ferrari, Chrysler and Dodge trucks just to name a few. Maybe he needs one to complete his car collection.

Scrambler84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 1984 Scrambler
Occupation
Network Engineer
$3-5K sounds about right to me... there is more material, and the axles have more beef, likely the brakes and some other stuff too. If the adder for a JT is only this amount more than a similarly equipped JLU then I'm okay. Sadly, it sounds like the "adder" may be twice that.

In other news... if it ends up not being named a "Gladiator" this site becomes awkwardly named...
Nah then we just all pretend we're CJ-8 owners. ;)
I am

IMG_4331.jpg

-----2012 JKUR 3.5" AEV Lift and 35s, full skids, ------------1984 Gladiator 4" lift and 33s

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I am

IMG_4331.jpg

-----2012 JKUR 3.5" AEV Lift and 35s, full skids, ------------1984 Gladiator 4" lift and 33s

Nice! :like:

My 7 is just a frame currently..lol.

cbasil

First Name
connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JK
:crying::crying::crying: Wow this just ended my long standing interest..

I guess that's what happens when the overpriced JKs have sold like hotcakes for the last 11 years, and people willingly spend 100k+ for AEV conversions. My barebones Jeep stickered at $32k, probably cost 10k to build.. "Lifestyle truck" I bet Toyota is grinning ear to ear.
Sponsored