Passed up $8700 off a Launch Edition

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 1986 CJ Laredo, 2018 ROXOR street legal
I thought I would share my story as it has cosumed me for a week and drove me crazy. I just passed up a Launch Edition Rubicon for $8700 off of the sticker price and 2.9% for 60 months. Searching around the average seemed to be $4-6k off on Overland or Sport, but the Rubicons are coming down now.. A dealer by me is shaving mass amounts off so I went today to look at the launch edition they had on the lot. They had a TON of Wranglers and Gladiators, an unbelievable amount. That kind of changed my mind. Literally not one space was empty. They had a ton of inventory and after 30 days they start paying the bank the interest on these vehicles.

So here is why I passed on this deal. The economy is in a place it has never been and to be honest the Gladiator is overpriced compared to the competition. You can get a top trim full size truck for the price of a Gladiator. Right now I can even get a loaded Raptor for the same price. I know they are different vehicles. But Gladiator sales began to slow before covid which is alarming. It is Jeeps least selling vehicle and the lowest in sales compared to the competition. I really think a price correction from FCA is coming for the Gladiator and the existing inventory pricing is going to get slashed more with rebates and zero percent financing to make it move. If I bought this Gladiator I would be roughly 58k out the door. I saw a few Gladiator LE's used for upper 40's, so right away I lose 10k walking out the door. Which in a good economy is fine and expected. But in this economy I think that number needs to be lower to move these vehicles. They obviously are not selling and they will have to start taking loses to prevent more loses.

So I think I made the right move in waiting to see what happens. I really think towards the end of the year you will be able to get 15k discount on these things, especially in the high level trim. Local Ford dealers are already offering $12-15k discounts and the feds might also add some incentive to buy. If I was wrong ill pay more but then hopefully a diesel Gladiator would be available by then. I am in no rush as my 2018 F150 limited lease is up in September and I have a JL for my summer vehicle. Ford is calling me with crazy offers to get into a new vehicle so I think Jeep is gonna face the music and start the fire sale soon also.

Here is the dealer:

https://www.dupagechryslerdodgejeep...ator&_dFR[type][0]=New&_paymentType=our_price

What do you guys think?

And thank you for this forum I was reading a lot of your guys posts and helped me make this decision.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
The discount is about 12% off list. I was able to get about 10% off MSRP on an ordered Rubicon when the color I wanted first came out so I would agree with you that if you are willing to play hardball you could do better.

If you can get all your finances in line and not play the trade in game (i.e. Sell it yourself ) you could negotiate it down to about 50K. Just don’t be afraid to walk as you said they have a lot of inventory..

OP
OP

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is exactly where I want to be. $50k, I have no trade so that simplifies things. I'm about $3500 away. I just don't think buyers are gonna buy up all this inventory anytime soon. Thanks for the reply :}. makes me feel better that I didn't pass up the deal of the century lol

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
first decide what truck/Jeep you really want. No use settling for something you don't really want. Next, what options do you want. X% off on a vehicle that has $30k in options you don't want is not a deal. I'd find just what I want with everything I "must" have, and not much I don't care about. Then find a dealer who will give a decent deal on it.

Raiden2727

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SantaFe Sport
Am in the exact same position - and did exactly the same thing. Also added my list (included in whiteglad’s note) of must haves and sent ot dealer. List doesn’t have everything on it that’s on the LE. Letting them work up off the lot prices. Will then determine if LE premium really worth it.

Only wrinkle is there has been talk in DC about some sort of federal incentives to get metal moving. In addition to FCA incentives/price declines, would be torqued if after a “good deal” some national tax or rebate program comes out.

Bottomline - letting it play out a while longer.....

Sponsored

phranican

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 YJ4.0l, '20 Telluride SX, '21JTR
Similar boat, after two months of trying, with no trade-in and $50k cash, I can't find a "dealer" willing to make a mid-spec'd Rubicon sale, yet. So the wait continues. I'm hoping by end of summer they still have the same lot they have had since last Nov and finally cave to make room for '21. Stick to your price point, the must-have crowd bought already, sales were slumping since Nov and the pandemic shut down has only made people warier, rightfully so, to separate from their hard-earned money.

rezar1

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If there is some sort of federal incentive, would that just motivate dealership to increase their prices? Even for little to account for the new incentive?

OP
OP

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the dash on the LE. The red rubi dash seems so cheap to me. I know it can be swapped but still a pain. Federal incentives for sure! Pretty sure that is coming and that will seal the deal for me. :}

OP
OP

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So true and they have to pay the bank interest for every car that is over 30 days.. Im sure some dealers will be willing to even lose a few dollars to prevent the interest. Also FCA might have incentive for the dealer to move trucks and they move it to hit that goal.

Rainman519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I hate to question a fellow jeeper Phranican, but are you trying to tell us that with $50k cash you can’t find a deal? a mid-spec’d rubicon for cash will be an easy find in today’s environment.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't expect them to come down much more. When the economy tanked in 2008 they still had outrageous prices on the wranglers. Their thinking is they will move them eventually. These dealerships are getting tons of government kickbacks to take care of their inventory. I just had my oil changed at Hendricks Saturday and was talking with the finance manager about all the inventory they had on the lot and they had a truck unloading more in the field across the street from them. He told me they wasn't worried, that the government had stepped in and was making it worth their while to grab this inventory. He didn't go into any details though.

OP
OP

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hate to question a fellow jeeper Phranican, but are you trying to tell us that with $50k cash you can’t find a deal? a mid-spec’d rubicon for cash will be an easy find in today’s environment.
I want it all! A loaded one. That is why the LE is so appealing. I got a JL Sahara last year and still everyday wishing I got more options. I am coming from a 2018 F150 limited as my daily driver so I want to take as many options with me as possible :}

OP
OP

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't expect them to come down much more. When the economy tanked in 2008 they still had outrageous prices on the wranglers. Their thinking is they will move them eventually. These dealerships are getting tons of government kickbacks to take care of their inventory. I just had my oil changed at Hendricks Saturday and was talking with the finance manager about all the inventory they had on the lot and they had a truck unloading more in the field across the street from them. He told me they wasn't worried, that the government had stepped in and was making it worth their while to grab this inventory. He didn't go into any details though.
Man that sucks! The gov needs to help out the average tax payer before wealthy dealer owners! This economy makes 2008 look like a normal economy. So many unknowns people are not going to spend like they used to.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Some will deal, others won't, regardless of how many they have and how long they have sat on the lot. Try a different dealer, and be willing to travel. A couple years ago, I found the right Recon and the right deal over the phone, including trade-in, 265 miles away. It was worth the trip.

OL1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE Black, 2018 JLRU White, 1967 Corvette Converible, 2011 997.2 TTS
Purchasing a new vehicle is the single greatest destructor of wealth there is. Definitely buy a lightly used vehicle if the dollars are a concern. I agree the Gladiator is over priced, I actually think the base models look a little silly and would get a Tacoma or Colorado if that was what I was in the market for. Lifted on 37’s these trucks look like a completely different vehicle.

Part of me hopes sales suck and they cancel the vehicle after a 3 year run. Instant collector car! Lol I remember in 2006 brand new Ford GT’s not being sold because they were overpriced. I kick myself because In 2008 I passed on a black stripe delete Ford GT with 10k miles that the guy wanted $125k for, now that car is worth $300k. It’s all relative, I don’t regret 1 second paying $55k for my LE, and fully understand it’s depreciated like a stone the first year of ownership.
Sponsored