Sponsored

Dealer Scams

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
When ever i see this it gets me riled up, so this may be a part vent but also a PSA for those who may not know.

I hate when dealership use this scam of "market adjustment" just to inflate the MSRP and make the customer think theyre getting a deal. Take for example this online pricing at Southern Jeep. They inflated the MSRP and show a "$5000" discount after instant saving which only translates to like $500 off from the MSRP. (See below)

Makes me stay away from these dealers that play the dealership game just to get you "in the door". Hopefully people are smarter than this to always be sure to verify against the window sticker online.

Virginia dealers are know for this scammy practice.

Vent over.

jeep.PNG
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Where in their online listings do they have market adjustments? MSRP is MSRP, dealer can't say it's $55k if the sticker sheet says its $50k

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where in their online listings do they have market adjustments? MSRP is MSRP, dealer can't say it's $55k if the sticker sheet says its $50k
Well they do that and call it a "Market Adjustment" and inflate the MSRP. Look at all the Gladiators on their site, they do it all their trucks even the Sports.

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
Westgate Jeep in Raleigh, Hendrick Jeep in Concord both had misleading Prices and lies in their advertised pricing here in NC. Gerry wood Jeep in Salisbury was the only one that had honest pricing, sold for advertised price or lower with haggling.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Well they do that and call it a "Market Adjustment" and inflate the MSRP. Look at all the Gladiators on their site, they do it all their trucks even the Sports.
I see the inflated price, because they give a link for the window sticker right at bottom of each listing, but I don't see where they add it on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see the inflated price, because they give a link for the window sticker right at bottom of each listing, but I don't see where they add it on.
You have to go into the dealer to see their add-on sticker. But this is a common practice here. I mean its just slimmy. Below is just an example of what it looks like.

jeep.PNG

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
You have to go into the dealer to see their add-on sticker. But this is a common practice here. I mean its just slimmy. Below is just an example of what it looks like.

Jeep Gladiator Dealer Scams jeep.PNG
Now that's a scam. :facepalm:

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
You have to go into the dealer to see their add-on sticker. But this is a common practice here. I mean its just slimey. Below is just an example of what it looks like.

Jeep Gladiator Dealer Scams jeep.PNG
I can't image anyone falling for this. What a fast-talking salesman convinces people this is legit?

OP
OP

akneppers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah and it makes it even worse when they inflate the MSRP online to trick the customers.

I could understand on the Civic Type-R, Corvette C8, and those which sell way higher (idk about the Civic Type-Rs anymore but they used to). Although the Gladiators werent exactly flying off the showroom floor.

Then the dealers here try to tell you how they already took off like $5k only to bring it back to MSRP. Ruins the dealership for me and would never recommend them to anyone even someone i dont care much for.

Sponsored

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Dealers around here (SF Bay Area) did this when the Challenger was released - they showed a "Dealer Markup" that was as much as $15K over MSRP!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Dealers around here (SF Bay Area) did this when the Challenger was released - they showed a "Dealer Markup" that was as much as $15K over MSRP!
Did anyone buy at that price?

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
Little shady, but doesn't bother me that much. ADM's are on a lot of vehicles. I remember when the GT350 first came out...YIKES! I don't think it's a big deal (I don't work at a dealership or anything). It's a free market. If they can get it, good for them. If the consumer is too stupid to realize they're paying an ADM, welp, oh well. You should either have knowledge of your +$50k purchase or have so much FU money you don't care. I think adding on all the rebates that no one qualifies is much more deceiving.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
A lot of customers get so wrapped up in fighting that "adjustment" that they are satisfied to haggle the price down to MSRP! Goal reached by the stealership. They did not have to cut $6-8k off MSRP.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
Did anyone buy at that price?
If you wanted a Challenger you paid that price - unless you knew somebody. my daughter-in-law has a cousin who owns some dealerships so when our son got back from deployment in 2008 with a pocketful of cash he was able to get one without the dealer markup.
Sponsored