Additional costs for more fun in a Jeep

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar Steel Bumper and Skid plate - $1400
Winch and Winch Plate (using Rugged Ridge $200 plate and SB X20 Comp as examples) - $800
35" tires (using stock wheels to save money, average $300/tire plus $100 install) - $1600
Add $2500 for 37" tires (usually a $300/5 difference between 35s and about $2200 for re-gear parts + labor)
Lift (Metalcloak 3.5", they were the only ones to put to writing that the lift wouldn't affect the JT's payload of 1600lbs) - $2600
Lockers - $2000
Or get the Rubicon with the steel bumper and reduce this list by $7600.
Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Or get the Rubicon with the steel bumper and reduce this list by $7600.
Rubicon is already way more than that compared to a Sport, even with the Max Tow package. The cheapest Sport within 500 miles of me is under $32k. The cheapest Rubicon is over $43k. That isnt comparing sticker sheets either, that is listed/advertised price. Though that difference of about $10k is accurate for the msrp prices too

when building a rubicon adding a steel bumper auto adds the led lights group for an extra $1200. So buying a Rubicon is the most expensive route

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Some other things need to be added to the list... communication devices ie; cb/ham/grms/frs. Also trail books or apps. And don’t forget all these things ie; molle panels, bags, storage cubbies, mounts, trail rails (if you didn’t get oem ), Rock rails/steps, underside skids including control arm and shock skids, differential skids and heavy duty covers, grab handles, heavy duty floor mats... the list goes on & on.
Does anyone have a suggestion for source for basic trauma kit? I found it kind of overwhelming trying to figure out what to get. I just want something better than a typical first aid kit; something to slow bleeding until help arrives kind of kit.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have a suggestion for source for basic trauma kit? I found it kind of overwhelming trying to figure out what to get. I just want something better than a typical first aid kit; something to slow bleeding until help arrives kind of kit.
A few tourniquets and a bunch of packing gauze should be enough for that.

Sponsored

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Thanks. Do you have any specific vendor suggestions?
I'm a doc and I have a pretty decent kit in my jeep (including sutures that I used on my own knee when I busted it open on the spare tire heat shield while under the jeep).

Here are a few basic things I got off amazon to add to my survival kit...

Recon Medical BLK-1PAK-FBA Tourniquet - (Black) Gen 3 Mil-Spec Kevlar Metal Windlass Aluminum First Aid Tactical Swat Medic Pre-Hospital Life Saving Hemorrhage Control Registration Card 1 Pack

Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing First Aid Compression Bandage, 6 Inch

QuikClot Advanced Clotting Gauze - 3 x 24 in, 2 Pieces

Also any basic first aid kit for bandages/dressings etc would work...

200-Piece Professional First Aid Kit for Home, Car or Work : Plus Emergency Medical Supplies for Camping, Hunting, Outdoor Hiking Survival

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Thank you!! This is exactly the kind of info I needed, instead of buying a kit for $200 that I don't know if it has what's needed.

Reactions: DrJ
OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Do you have any specific vendor suggestions?
go through a local gun shop. They generally are better at ensuring legit products as opposed to amazon.

other places/websites include North American Rescue and Skinny Medic’s (Youtube channel, great info) Medical Gear Outfitters
https://www.narescue.com/combat-application-tourniquet-c-a-t.html

Both torniquets and gauze you can learn at a gunshot trauma class at gun ranges, usually $25-50 a class.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the link. Aside from the tourniquet I second those recommendations. Though for wheeling that can get a little much.

Doc, no sutures, scalples, or trach or pneuotjorax kits? Oddly enough I kept all those with me in a small backpack but it was too much room being taken after the car seat and diaper bag were put in, and so I went smaller to save space

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Doc, no sutures, scalples, or trach or pneuotjorax kits?
I do have full suture kit, lidocaine etc...

Didn’t bother with trach or pneumo kits. I honestly don’t know the kind of liability involved, even in emergency situations, plus I’m not surgery or ER/trauma trained.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
For the newbies buying Jeeps, here are some additional costs you may not realize when seeing others with modded Jeeps.

The following were on the low end of costs of the most common mods/accessories and prices I have come across or have been reported

Mopar Steel Bumper and Skid plate - $1400
Winch and Winch Plate (using Rugged Ridge $200 plate and SB X20 Comp as examples) - $800
35" tires (using stock wheels to save money, average $300/tire plus $100 install) - $1600
Add $2500 for 37" tires (usually a $300/5 difference between 35s and about $2200 for re-gear parts + labor)
Lift (Metalcloak 3.5", they were the only ones to put to writing that the lift wouldn't affect the JT's payload of 1600lbs) - $2600
Lockers - $2000

So you have over $10k to get your Jeep "like everyone else" has, $8k if you got the Rubicon (which when I was shopping around was $10k more than the Sport Max Tow models, but that was back in October). I've gone down that list and just did the 35s (add $500 for rubicon take off fender flares and necessary parts/install costs to make them work - did not need them, they just help enough to have justified the cost, $800 new fender flares would not be worth it). The prices above are not what I paid as I bought used, at sales, promotions, etc. But there will be no getting around the lift. I don't foresee ever needing lockers (thankfully)

This is why I went with the rubicon. All the extras really added up in terms of value, I did a custom order to prevent all the crap the ones on the lot come with.

Got a $400ish dollar bumper that came with the winch plate built in. looks good.
Jeep Already came with the skid plate, above bumper works with it.
Spent $40 on LED lightbulbs instead of 1100 on LED light package
Mopar bumper wasn't an option due to the cost of LED lights and the plate. Would have been a $2400 bumper for me.
The 33in tires it came with are pretty decent. Wheels look nice
Lockers are already built in.
4.10 gears are already built in so now Max Tow or re-gear isn't needed

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
And you will never be done- and never willingly stop buying things to mod it.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do have full suture kit, lidocaine etc...

Didn’t bother with trach or pneumo kits. I honestly don’t know the kind of liability involved, even in emergency situations, plus I’m not surgery or ER/trauma trained.
I just figured if you have quickclot and tourniquets that means you plan for bad wrecks, where blood loss is a concern. In those a collapsed lung is in the realm of possibility. The trach kit would be for some weird allergic reaction out on the trails. Of course you can never plan for everything.

understandable on the liability question. PM me if you want to discuss that more so the thread doesnt get side tracked

OL1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE Black, 2018 JLRU White, 1967 Corvette Converible, 2011 997.2 TTS
Just this weekend I got to check out the brand new $100k + Cadillac Escalade, and damn it is really nice. The first thing I thought though, is I would take my Gladiator "Freyja" any day of the week unless I was driving 50,000 miles a year.

My list of upgrades to a loaded black LE include: (in my order of awesomeness)
  • Mopar lift
  • 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers
  • Mopar Tube Doors
  • Bestop Sunrider
  • Zeon 10s winch
  • All the recovery gear (bubba rope, D-Rings, tow straps, shovels, gloves, etc.)
  • Rock Rails - Heavy duty from Mopar)
  • 7" LED's on bull bar (MOPAR)
  • 5" LED's hood mounted (MOPAR)
  • Mopar Floor Mats
  • Factor 55 Ultrahook
  • Tinted window all around to match the back
  • Jeep grocery divider for storage in the bed ($40 item)
  • Mopar jack stand for lifted trucks
I think I have about $63K total all in, thankfully got the employee discount on most everything at the time of order. I get more compliments from people on this truck than any vehicle I've ever owned (and there have been some good ones). I cannot recommend this vehicle more highly from a dollars per smile standpoint!

Last edited:

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon is already way more than that compared to a Sport, even with the Max Tow package. The cheapest Sport within 500 miles of me is under $32k. The cheapest Rubicon is over $43k. That isnt comparing sticker sheets either, that is listed/advertised price. Though that difference of about $10k is accurate for the msrp prices too

when building a rubicon adding a steel bumper auto adds the led lights group for an extra $1200. So buying a Rubicon is the most expensive route
The thread title was "additional costs for more fun in a Jeep." If (Rubicon) then "additional costs = OP proposed additional cost-7600"

IOW, if you buy a Rubicon, you don't have to spend $7600 of that cost you outline after buying the Rubicon. Adding in Rubicon price differences from a Sport doesn't apply. If one wants a Rubicon, and they are willing to pay that cost, then that is the base cost.
Sponsored