First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Forestry
This might be the case. I think mine is making a ticking sound it should not be making. I’ve mentioned it to the Service Manager with no real response. The loaner Gladiators I’ve had have not made the same noise. There have been others on this thread who have had heads, cam shafts, cam shaft phasers, cam sensors etc. rebuilt/replaced and still had the issue return. Either way it should not be happening.
That's why i said 90%, I've seen none that only have had the software update that have been resolved. I know of two personally that have been fixed with the mechanical repairs mentioned above. Either way Chrysler has a problem on their hands...
Sponsored

Jay17

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Green Overland
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Question for all (like me) who are having recurring CEL 0300 issues: What is your average MPG? Mine is less than 14, but I have 35-inch tires, with aggressive tread, 2-inch lift and aftermarket wheels. I’ve read that these types of mods can also affect MPG.
I'm averaging 21.5 to 23 mpg. Overland with stock wheels/tires and no lift. 95% of my driving is highway

moosegirl75

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Self employed massage therapist
If you have had the CEL light come on with misfire codes, please respond to this thread.
Build date: not sure
Mileage when it first occurred: around 200-300
How many times has it occurred: 4
What exact codes did it throw:P0300
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Husband has cleared code twice, but took to dealership to let them look at it. CEL went off before I got there though.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? N

The CEL and the Auto Start/Stop has came on the past few mornings. Both lights have gone off, but it usually takes a couple days.

NJbevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘98 Durango 5.9 SLT; ‘06 Hemi Durango; ‘20 Gladiator Sport Max Tow - Smittybuilt 9600 XRC
For all you folks who think or are being told that the software update is the fix you are not being given good information. The fix for 90% of these is mechanical. It's a head, cam shaft/cam censor issue. Mine is fixed and HAS NOT had the software update..
For all you folks who think or are being told that the software update is the fix you are not being given good information. The fix for 90% of these is mechanical. It's a head, cam shaft/cam censor issue. Mine is fixed and HAS NOT had the software update..
You may well be correct. It is interesting that most owners don’t seem to be having this issue and/or needing the PCM update. However, since that is now the presribed remedy from the manufacturer only time will tell. Not sure how I would force them to take the truck back and tear it apart until we see if the problem recurs now with the update. How would I check them on that if I don’t get a CEL or codes now?
I will be trailering my 18 ft boat about 600 miles and back up some elevation changes over the next week or so. Be interested to see what happens... stay tuned.

Sponsored

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow
So I have a couple of questions. Do people get the ESS or CEL when they are driving or just when they first start up and move? Mine will only set the ESS if I don't wait for the RPM to go down or the AC is on when I start it and then start moving. It's currently back in the shop a second time for a water leak for the roof. Interestingly enough the service writer called and said Jeep saw it was back in for the leak and called them to get more information, also telling them they have been having problems. If whatever they are doing doesn't fix it someone is coming from Toledo. While he was on the call with Jeep he asked about the software update, their response of course was "that will fix it", I guess we'll see if it resolves the issue on my truck. When I get the code I never have loss of power or bad mileage, just the light.

ForestTech

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Forestry
So I have a couple of questions. Do people get the ESS or CEL when they are driving or just when they first start up and move? Mine will only set the ESS if I don't wait for the RPM to go down or the AC is on when I start it and then start moving. It's currently back in the shop a second time for a water leak for the roof. Interestingly enough the service writer called and said Jeep saw it was back in for the leak and called them to get more information, also telling them they have been having problems. If whatever they are doing doesn't fix it someone is coming from Toledo. While he was on the call with Jeep he asked about the software update, their response of course was "that will fix it", I guess we'll see if it resolves the issue on my truck. When I get the code I never have loss of power or bad mileage, just the light.
Mine is now fixed but when I was having the problem the ESS and CEL lights would come on nearly every morning within 2-3 minutes of start up, and ran like crap the entire time... It's been fixed for about two weeks and about 800 miles with no more issues. I have NOT had the software update.

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I got my 5th (I think) ESS light this morning since the software update. I have NOT had the CEL return since the software update. I take mine in on Monday for a battery replacement which is supposed to fix the ESS light coming on. The ESS light can come on at anytime for me. It resets when I shut the engine down and start back up.

NJbevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘98 Durango 5.9 SLT; ‘06 Hemi Durango; ‘20 Gladiator Sport Max Tow - Smittybuilt 9600 XRC
Bad news comrades... after what I believe is about 46 miles since the new PCM flash, I got the dreaded check engine light again this evening.
I have not pulled codes. When i was leaving my driveway, i got a tone( like when your fuel is low...dont recall that from before) and i looked down and the Service ESS light was on. I drove about 3 miles to a friend's house and turned the jeep off for maybe 5 min. When I git back in and going ESS light was off but as I backed down the drive, the darn CEL light came on.
Called dealer, it was late and service was closed,. They are to call me tomorrow.

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Bad news comrades... after what I believe is about 46 miles since the new PCM flash, I got the dreaded check engine light again this evening.
I have not pulled codes. When i was leaving my driveway, i got a tone( like when your fuel is low...dont recall that from before) and i looked down and the Service ESS light was on. I drove about 3 miles to a friend's house and turned the jeep off for maybe 5 min. When I git back in and going ESS light was off but as I backed down the drive, the darn CEL light came on.
Called dealer, it was late and service was closed,. They are to call me tomorrow.
That just sucks man. So sorry to hear this. I for one will not take them tearing my engine down. If this happens to me then they are buying it back. We’re well over 4 times in and 20 days without the vehicle. So-hope it doesn’t happen on my end but maybe it’s just a matter of time.

Sponsored

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow
Picked up the Gladiator with the roof leak and P0300 code issue supposedly fixed with the software update. They told me if the roof leaked again I would have to schedule a time for someone from Toledo to come and look at it. I told them that's good they can fix the CEL light also if it comes back. Didn't even make it out of the parking lot and it was back on. Pulled in the service bay and they were in disbelief. Its now being elevated to a STAR? case.

JayHop

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Creative Director
Well that sucks. I’ve had three CELs, two of which were accompanied by the ESS! light. My last trip to the shop they took fuel samples off the rail and discovered fuel contaminates. I’m hoping that my case was one of true misfiring, and after replacing filters, cleaning the fuel lines and injectors, maybe the CEL lights are gone for good. So far, I’ve driven close to 60 miles, without incident. I’ll post if that changes. Good luck with your situation. Have them check for contaminates.

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
Do we know whether builds from March onwards are having this issue?

ForestTech

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Forestry
I've said this several times, the fix for 90% of these is mechanical. It's a head and upper end issue. Mines been fixed for a few weeks without the software update! They replaced the 2/4/6 side head and entire upper end on that side. No problems for nearly two weeks and 1000 miles... I have not heard of one individual that had the software update and that it actually fix their vehicle.. Anyone?

Vickie Sae

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired photographer
I've said this several times, the fix for 90% of these is mechanical. It's a head and upper end issue. Mines been fixed for a few weeks without the software update! They replaced the 2/4/6 side head and entire upper end on that side. No problems for nearly two weeks and 1000 miles... I have not heard of one individual that had the software update and that it actually fix their vehicle.. Anyone?
Did they give you any kind of an extra warrantee after tearing into your engine?
Sponsored