Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Damn that's a really great review
The GANG (of 2&1/2 jokingly) at 'LIFESTYLE OVERLAND' YouTube have a Video with Initial Opinions on that very question . . . promising an updated review later (waiting on that one) - basically they are not pleased with the content vs. cost, as it is presently manufactured ! Based on their intel . . . I tend to agree. However I never intended to go this route anyway based on My Own initial research via their Website .

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
The GANG (of 2&1/2 jokingly) at 'LIFESTYLE OVERLAND' YouTube have a Video with Initial Opinions on that very question . . . promising an updated review later (waiting on that one) - basically they are not pleased with the content vs. cost, as it is presently manufactured ! Based on their intel . . . I tend to agree. However I never intended to go this route anyway based on My Own initial research via their Website .
I just read their review. It's really great. I think I'll go the cheaper route for now. Im going to need a few different apps to get everything but it should be fine. Off road map, trailer back up camera, satellite communicator, campground maps, etc. Hopefully I can get everything on an android tablet.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I just read their review. It's really great. I think I'll go the cheaper route for now. Im going to need a few different apps to get everything but it should be fine. Off road map, trailer back up camera, satellite communicator, campground maps, etc. Hopefully I can get everything on an android tablet.
Don't know where you "read" the Lifestyle Overland review - it's on one of their recent VIDEOS ! I'm an Apple guy, but Android should be good too !? Motion X or Gaia are 2 good Apps for off roading .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know where you "read" the Lifestyle Overland review - it's on one of their recent VIDEOS ! I'm an Apple guy, but Android should be good too !? Motion X or Gaia are 2 good Apps for off roading .
Thanks! Those do look like great apps! I'll get em!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The Garwin might be seen as expensive at $700, but a lot cheaper than $1800 for the 8.4" radio upgrade. Navigation is the only reason I might have chosen the 8.4.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Garwin might be seen as expensive at $700, but a lot cheaper than $1800 for the 8.4" radio upgrade. Navigation is the only reason I might have chosen the 8.4.
Yeah it's pretty nice with Android auto running Waze.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Yeah it's pretty nice with Android auto running Waze.
Thanks for responding to this old thread.

So did you get the Overlander after all? Or did you mean running Waze on the 8.4?

As you can guess, I am considering the Overlander. I consider myself a paper map guy, but since Rand McNally street atlas doesn't show dirt roads, I started looking at Delorme Gazeteers, and realized the cost would add up fast if I got one for every state I want to go off-road in.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for responding to this old thread.

So did you get the Overlander after all? Or did you mean running Waze on the 8.4?

As you can guess, I am considering the Overlander. I consider myself a paper map guy, but since Rand McNally street atlas doesn't show dirt roads, I started looking at Delorme Gazeteers, and realized the cost would add up fast if I got one for every state I want to go off-road in.
Yeah I just went with the 8.4 and just run Waze on the big screen. Also with our camper we got a year free of thousand trails so for a year we'll just use these campgrounds. When we start boondocking then I'll start checking the offroad options again. Also something to consider. Out west where I'm from there's tons of BLM land to camp at. Here on the east coast, there's very few options for boondocking and off-road camping.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Out west where I'm from there's tons of BLM land to camp at. Here on the east coast, there's very few options for boondocking and off-road camping.
We do have national forests here over east, and you can download geo-enabled PDFs and geotiffs for free. Am I reading Garwin's webpage correctly that I can upload these into the Overlander? Or are they already in it?

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We do have national forests here over east, and you can download geo-enabled PDFs and geotiffs for free. Am I reading Garwin's webpage correctly that I can upload these into the Overlander? Or are they already in it?
i think they're built in.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Just to add a bit....There are a couple features on the Overlander that I think are outstanding. First, the 3D terrain view is simply amazing when you get into mountains or hill country. You can really see where the route is going to take you across peaks, along ridges, and through valleys. It is a MUCH beter view than with isobars on a regular topo view. Secondly, you can add wireless cameras and put them anywhere. I think you can do at least 4, maybe more. I put one underneath my Jeep to see the front tires and differential pumpkin for tire placement and rock avoidance. It also helped me to think twice about a mud hole by giving me an idea of how deep it was getting.

When I installed the camera, I put it in a place I'd never rubbed or bumped underneath, even after Moab and other big trips. On a mild sightseenign hop down to southern Indiana, Something, maybe a stick, came up and nailed the camera, so that position is on the outs now. So, I'm getting ready to install another front camera on the bumper. I believe I can insert tire lines and adjust them to the actual width on my JL so that I can do tire placement that way instead of having the camera in a more vulnerable position underneath.

Garmin's customer support is great, too. They did a firmware update upon my request to flip the image for front use of the camera. It didn't do that before. I was able to speak to the product engineer who manages the Overlander, directly. That's just cool. He said they only envisioned it as a rear camera when they designed it. This upgrade whas done within a month of asking.

Anyway, you could put the camera in a position to see your cargo bed, or you could put one on your trailer. Because the range of the wireless setup is so long, the possibilities are limitless. You could even set one on a bed rack or roof rack facing your tent and at night take the Garmin in the tent with you. Then when you hear something go bump in the night, turn on the Garmin and you'll see the bear, racoon, or whatever two legged intruder might be around.

Two last things...The campground database is something I thought I'd never use. Wrong. We used it on an Byway trip a couple weeks ago and it found us a campground I would have missed otherwise. I also travel with a Garmin Inreach satellite communicator/locator/emergency device. It interfaces with the Overlander by Bluetooth and makes sending/receving messages easier, as well as adjusting settings.

If the price is too much to stomach, then look around for used ones or discounted new ones (Black Friday). I found mine new on Ebay for $400 bucks from someone who thought it was just a plain navigator in a fancy case with a high price.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to add a bit....There are a couple features on the Overlander that I think are outstanding. First, the 3D terrain view is simply amazing when you get into mountains or hill country. You can really see where the route is going to take you across peaks, along ridges, and through valleys. It is a MUCH beter view than with isobars on a regular topo view. Secondly, you can add wireless cameras and put them anywhere. I think you can do at least 4, maybe more. I put one underneath my Jeep to see the front tires and differential pumpkin for tire placement and rock avoidance. It also helped me to think twice about a mud hole by giving me an idea of how deep it was getting.

When I installed the camera, I put it in a place I'd never rubbed or bumped underneath, even after Moab and other big trips. On a mild sightseenign hop down to southern Indiana, Something, maybe a stick, came up and nailed the camera, so that position is on the outs now. So, I'm getting ready to install another front camera on the bumper. I believe I can insert tire lines and adjust them to the actual width on my JL so that I can do tire placement that way instead of having the camera in a more vulnerable position underneath.

Garmin's customer support is great, too. They did a firmware update upon my request to flip the image for front use of the camera. It didn't do that before. I was able to speak to the product engineer who manages the Overlander, directly. That's just cool. He said they only envisioned it as a rear camera when they designed it. This upgrade whas done within a month of asking.

Anyway, you could put the camera in a position to see your cargo bed, or you could put one on your trailer. Because the range of the wireless setup is so long, the possibilities are limitless. You could even set one on a bed rack or roof rack facing your tent and at night take the Garmin in the tent with you. Then when you hear something go bump in the night, turn on the Garmin and you'll see the bear, racoon, or whatever two legged intruder might be around.

Two last things...The campground database is something I thought I'd never use. Wrong. We used it on an Byway trip a couple weeks ago and it found us a campground I would have missed otherwise. I also travel with a Garmin Inreach satellite communicator/locator/emergency device. It interfaces with the Overlander by Bluetooth and makes sending/receving messages easier, as well as adjusting settings.

If the price is too much to stomach, then look around for used ones or discounted new ones (Black Friday). I found mine new on Ebay for $400 bucks from someone who thought it was just a plain navigator in a fancy case with a high price.

Hope this helps!
Holy crap that's a great review. I didn't even think of putting the cameras that way. Yeah I'm going to look for a deal in the next month or two! Thanks

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Holy crap that's a great review. I didn't even think of putting the cameras that way. Yeah I'm going to look for a deal in the next month or two! Thanks
The magnetic mount on this thing is really nice, too. Here is a pic of my setup with Ram mounts. I can't remember where I got the mount rig for the dash tray, but I'll try and find it. My brother is asking me to find it for his Gladiator, too.

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts on Garmin Overlander? IMG_20200725_131134
Jeep Gladiator Thoughts on Garmin Overlander? IMG_20200725_131149
Sponsored