First timer looking into on onbard air

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I did the same as mdyucca. Out of the way and not overly expensive. Plus my VoSwitch occupies the same area. So far has worked with no issues.

Firewall, fenderwell.jpg

V8 VoSwith mount.jpg
Sponsored

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Mentioned this in the mega thread "What did you do to your Gladiator today" but did get it installed. Only issue (you can see from pic #2) is that there's no place to mount the switch. Still works but I feel like I'm missing a part.
Jeep Gladiator First timer looking into on onbard air V8 VoSwith mount

Jeep Gladiator First timer looking into on onbard air V8 VoSwith mount
Hey, I have a switch plate that works with the compressor mount. It bolts on to the side bracket. I sell it separately since some use their AUX switches to control the compressor vs using a switch on the compressor. I personally prefer it beside the compressor for a quick on/off setup. Let me know if you need one.

under-hood-single-compressor-pressure-switch2.jpg

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I had the same question and found about 20 different answers as to the best location for the compressor. I ended up going with the ACM under hood (under master cylinder) compressor mount for $58. Also, I used a 813 air connector/switch mount. Under my hood I installed an auxiliary switch panel box so space is at a premium. The installation was easy and I am pleased with the operation and looks of the install.

Jeep Gladiator First timer looking into on onbard air under-hood-single-compressor-pressure-switch2
Quick question for you. I have voswitch and I’ve put off wiring up my twin compressor due to being way to lazy to figure out the wiring situation. Which block on the voswitch are you running yours on and how did you go about routing the main wiring harness from compressor to battery to voswitch?

If it was answered somewhere else, just let me know.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Quick question for you. I have voswitch and I’ve put off wiring up my twin compressor due to being way to lazy to figure out the wiring situation. Which block on the voswitch are you running yours on and how did you go about routing the main wiring harness from compressor to battery to voswitch?

If it was answered somewhere else, just let me know.
The ARB harness has a lot more going on than what you need if your not running air lockers. The first thing I did was to get rid of all the wires that would not be used for my compressor install. The trigger wire from the Voswitch to ARB switch is connected to the first position on my Voswitch panel. For the trigger wire you can use any of the six positions on the Voswitch. The power wire is run from the battery along the top of the fire wall to just past the master cylinder then down to the compressor. I found the schematic below over at the Wrangler Forum posted by truenorthx. I have the single compressor and this helped to simplify the harness. If you need more info let me know.

Compressor wiring.jpg

Sponsored

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
That 813 kit is legit. I'd also offer Grimm Offroad has a OBA great kit for the ARB compressors I'm running on my JT. Very clean, same driver side underhood mounting location with the compressor on the firewall under the master cylinder.

I've run OBA on 3 of my previous rigs as well...always come in handy. This is the first time I've mounted the switch near the chuck under the hood and it makes so much more sense than having to hook everything up, then go back in the cab to hit an aux button to turn it all back on. It's all right there.

Tits McGee

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT Mojave
Occupation
slave
I’ve ran air in most all of my Jeeps and trucks over the years. Personally I don’t care for mounting air in or under the bed (loses space and gets extremely dirty if you don’t wash your vehicles often). Never tried the ones for the hood, don’t like the idea personally. But I found this new system that I am ordering as soon as it restocks. It’s in the cab under the passenger seat. https://epic-4wd.com/en-us/products/epic-kraken-tire-inflation-system-for-jeep-jl-jt
Installed one today. I like it

MarkO

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT
Congrats. Two questions, if you don't mind. One, any interference with the back floor mats (rubber ones)? Two, did you run power thru the front passenger drain hole? Or did you come up with a better way? Thanks a lot.

Tits McGee

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT Mojave
Occupation
slave
Congrats. Two questions, if you don't mind. One, any interference with the back floor mats (rubber ones)? Two, did you run power thru the front passenger drain hole? Or did you come up with a better way? Thanks a lot.
No issues with the floor mat. Yes I did come up through the drain hole. I was thinking my kids might be stepping on it but it was underneath the seat anyways so no stepping on it. It worked out very well. I was cautious coming down the passenger fender along the frame cuz the exhaust is close. but a bunch of zip ties and I'm pretty comfortable it's out of the way

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
After decades of using the best portable Viair, I also went with the Epic Outfitters Kraken kit. I absolutely love it. I now spend my time talking about the run to the other group while airing up, and the 4 wheel equalization is fantastic. In addition, you can turn on the air conditioner and set it to your feet, and the cold air will go directly into the fan of the ARB compressor while airing up. This is key, since the only thing that kills the ARB compressor is excess heat (no oil in these compressors to keep them cool). All the Kraken components are top quality connectors and hoses. It is also super easy to put away 4 short hoses which are connected in pairs than one long hose.

One negative is the expensive shipping from Canada. It is like double or triple the shipping costs inside the USA.

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@hjdca @Tits McGee I'm currently debating between 813 behind the rear seat system, but with a single, and this Epic Outfitters kit (which would require a double).

Are you guys running 37+? Or 35? I will likely replace my 33s with 35s next year. Is this thing overkill for me?
In my opinion, no matter what kit you get, you should get the ARB double compressor. The single is mostly used for ARB lockers. Note: I am running 37s with the Double ARB compressor.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
In my opinion, no matter what kit you get, you should get the ARB double compressor. The single is mostly used for ARB lockers. Note: I am running 37s with the Double ARB compressor.
I am inexperienced with on-board air, so I'll keep this in mind. However, ARB says they have three, a small single for lockers, a large single for 33 or maybe 35" tires, and a double for anything larger.

But for those of you who have had the large single with 35s, do you wish you had the double?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am inexperienced with on-board air, so I'll keep this in mind. However, ARB says they have three, a small single for lockers, a large single for 33 or maybe 35" tires, and a double for anything larger.

But for those of you who have had the large single with 35s, do you wish you had the double?
Note: In the end, since they have no oil, it is heat that kills these compressors. So, the longer you run one in the summer, the hotter it gets. The double will run half as long as the single to fill up your tires, so, it will not get as hot. In addition, the heat already in your mounting location makes a difference in longevity.
As an example, on the Kraken kit, the floor air conditioning vent feeds the air directly into the compressor fan. When I run mine to fill my 37s, I turn the air conditioning on full blast with only the floor vents on. This feeds cold air directly into the ARB fan.
On other mounting locations, when using the compressor, you may want to open your hood, or fold down your seat, to make sure there is plenty of air flow to help keep the compressor cool.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Note: In the end, since they have no oil, it is heat that kills these compressors. So, the longer you run one in the summer, the hotter it gets. The double will run half as long as the single to fill up your tires, so, it will not get as hot. In addition, the heat already in your mounting location makes a difference in longevity.
As an example, on the Kraken kit, the floor air conditioning vent feeds the air directly into the compressor fan. When I run mine to fill my 37s, I turn the air conditioning on full blast with only the floor vents on. This feeds cold air directly into the ARB fan.
On other mounting locations, when using the compressor, you may want to open your hood, or fold down your seat, to make sure there is plenty of air flow to help keep the compressor cool.
Showed my wife all the options, talked pros and cons, and SHE picked the Kraken with a twin. So, good to go, and you guys convinced me. (Plus the videos of the Kraken look awesome.)

Now I just have to wait for them to make another batch... Got on the preorder list.
Sponsored