Thoughts on Garmin Overlander?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I joined the Overlander club with a Black Friday special instead of upgrading my stereo. I decided this was better since it can switch between the JL and the JT.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I found the RAM Mounts "C" class ball mounts (1.5") to be more sturdy for the Garmin Overlander.

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts on Garmin Overlander? 1611719313256

Jeep Gladiator Thoughts on Garmin Overlander? 1611719313256
Not bad at all. You managed to fit a ton of stuff in there. It's impressive.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I picked up the overlander this winter. I got it because we frequent areas with no cell and remembering to download maps on a phone or tablet ahead of time just got too much for me. I used my rugged tablet on JJ2020 and it worked ok, but i didn't like the mount. I really like the magnetic part of the overlander. Best part is I bought ram mounts for both jeeps and the motorhome so now I just grab it and put in what we are driving. Im sure a tablet gives you more but as far as simple and jump in and go the GPS is better.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I picked up the overlander this winter. I got it because we frequent areas with no cell and remembering to download maps on a phone or tablet ahead of time just got too much for me. I used my rugged tablet on JJ2020 and it worked ok, but i didn't like the mount. I really like the magnetic part of the overlander. Best part is I bought ram mounts for both jeeps and the motorhome so now I just grab it and put in what we are driving. Im sure a tablet gives you more but as far as simple and jump in and go the GPS is better.
Still learning how to use all the features of the Overlander, but really liking it. It is one reason I did not spring $1800 extra for the 8.4" radio.

Now I have a Garmin BC-35 backup camera configured as a forward-looking trailcam. I wired the camera to one of my Aux. switches. A neat thing about the Overlander, is that once set up, I do not have to actually select the camera from the Overlander touch screen. All I have to do is hit the Aux. switch, and the Overlander switches from whatever screen it is on to the camera. Simplifies things.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Still learning how to use all the features of the Overlander, but really liking it. It is one reason I did not spring $1800 extra for the 8.4" radio.

Now I have a Garmin BC-35 backup camera configured as a forward-looking trailcam. I wired the camera to one of my Aux. switches. A neat thing about the Overlander, is that once set up, I do not have to actually select the camera from the Overlander touch screen. All I have to do is hit the Aux. switch, and the Overlander switches from whatever screen it is on to the camera. Simplifies things.
That's a GREAT idea!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
That's a GREAT idea!
Well, I got the basic idea from you (running the BC-35 forward).

I was very surprised when the camera screen could be activated by just turning on the power, but when I thought about it, it is configured to work that way if you use it as back-up and wire it to the back-up lights, which of course come on when you engage reverse gear..

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Well, I got the basic idea from you (running the BC-35 forward).

I was very surprised when the camera screen could be activated by just turning on the power, but when I thought about it, it is configured to work that way if you use it as back-up and wire it to the back-up lights, which of course come on when you engage reverse gear..
Am really enjoying this thread: Heard at one time there was a possibility of Gaia being loaded onto the Jeep 8.4 nav. From your knowledge...is that possible...or, just a rumor.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Am really enjoying this thread: Heard at one time there was a possibility of Gaia being loaded onto the Jeep 8.4 nav. From your knowledge...is that possible...or, just a rumor.
Sorry, but I am new to GPS and I don't even use a smart phone. I did do some research before buying the Overlander. A lot of people on various forums said get Gaia on a tablet = a lot cheaper. But from what I understand the tablet has to have a satellite chip or it will just depend on cell towers. No good in the boonies you need satellites. Ultimately I got the Overlander because even though it is expensive, there is no charge ever to download map updates. And besides the street maps, it has topo maps for both north and south America (not that will ever drive down there, but who knows?)

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
But to get the traffic info you have to get the optional powercord that receives the traffic for another $60.

I took this out with me last offroad trop. You do have to play with this before doing to overlanding apps (figuring it out on the trail did not work for me). Tt' was not that intuitive on the fly. Gaia was a bit more user friendly but Ramblr was even better, to me.

I was comparing Gaia, Overland, and Ramblr at the same time. Also, the routes are hit or miss so compare to another source. And finally, established businesses that have been there for years are sometimes not found. It seems the search engine changes on the fly, so it's also hit or miss for places and points of interests that it should find and may on another day. None of this should happen with a unit of the price. I honestly was disappointed.

I mentioned before I got this for this my Class A which tows my Gladiator and that I can remove it to use in the Gladiator. I plan on trying again on the trails tomorrow, but will sit down ahead of time tonight to play with it more. Normally, these things come naturally.

Sponsored

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These were my shenanigans from a few weeks ago comparing stuff...

0CB0DCD1-248B-4825-84F9-9E656BFAEB6B.jpeg

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
But to get the traffic info you have to get the optional powercord that receives the traffic for another $60.
Yes, Garmin is a lot like Jeep - makes you pay extra for a lot of option$. But even so, still a lot cheaper than getting the 8.4" radio.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's cheaper and you get less as a result, unfortunately.

There are much cheaper options out there than this Garmin and more intuitive than the Overlander. Sit the cost of $700 aside (or $600 if you caught the sale+ $60 for the traffic cord because a GPS without traffic info is old tech). If I told you a $200 GPS is more accurate, provides better routes, will consistently find locations.... things expected of a GPS, or you can pay $700 for the overland, no traffic info, sketchy routes, will find a location one day and not the next... I think this is the information people reading this thread would want to know....

I have to hold onto my rand mcnally gps in the RV just in case the garmin decides it can't find something. Side by side comparisons shed light on these things.

So if someone asked me if they should get this (and I own one), I would say not at this point based on how it performs and what it offers. On top of that, most will not use multiple vehicle profiles like I do for different vehicles and trailer combinations, so... I struggle to says it's great product.

There are a few radios out there for the jeep, aftermarket, that will offer the functionality of the phone and all the apps, and a number of other functions for the jeep specifically including controls on the steering wheel and keep the stock look.. If not, buy an old IPAD with GPS and install any or all of those apps mentioned, much better deal.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!

There are much cheaper options out there than this Garmin and more intuitive than the Overlander. Sit the cost of $700 aside (or $600 if you caught the sale+ $60 for the traffic cord because a GPS without traffic info is old tech). If I told you a $200 GPS is more accurate, provides better routes, will consistently find locations.... things expected of a GPS, or you can pay $700 for the overland, no traffic info, sketchy routes, will find a location one day and not the next... I think this is the information people reading this thread would want to know....

I have to hold onto my rand mcnally gps in the RV just in case the garmin decides it can't find something. Side by side comparisons shed light on these things.

So if someone asked me if they should get this (and I own one), I would say not at this point based on how it performs and what it offers. On top of that, most will not use multiple vehicle profiles like I do for different vehicles and trailer combinations, so... I struggle to says it's great product.

There are a few radios out there for the jeep, aftermarket, that will offer the functionality of the phone and all the apps, and a number of other functions for the jeep specifically including controls on the steering wheel and keep the stock look.. If not, buy an old IPAD with GPS and install any or all of those apps mentioned, much better deal.
Thanks for your honesty and paving the way for those of us that are still prepping.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer

<snip>

I did a very limited search and did not find any new tablets for sale that has a satellite chip. However, I have admitted I am new to GPS so not very knowledgeable. To me the Overlander represented a convenient package.

I plan to keep the JT for a very long time, and did not know how much it will cost to keep the 8.4 navigation going after the first five years that are included. And the 8.4 does not include topo maps with off-road trails, does it? That was one of the big selling points of the Overlander for me.

So far the only complaint I have with the Overlander is the voice recognition is a bit sketchy.
Sponsored