Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
OK, but do you remove that cable and device each dealer visit?
I understand software-wise - but the other stuff in there...........
You remove it right after you do whatever programming your doing. You don't leave it plugged up. It's only required so the app can connect to your jeep by way of Bluetooth.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You remove it right after you do whatever programming your doing. You don't leave it plugged up. It's only required so the app can connect to your jeep by way of Bluetooth.
Right - because the device writes the changes to the vehicle based on what the app tells the device to do, but you remove and reconnect it each time you want to tweak something - or leave it until you are done, for example, adjusting for tire size changes (then checking against GPS, tweak again, etc.)
OK, gotcha. (and lock the cable and device away somewhere so no one else can mess with you)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Right - because the device writes the changes to the vehicle based on what the app tells the device to do, but you remove and reconnect it each time you want to tweak something - or leave it until you are done, for example, adjusting for tire size changes (then checking against GPS, tweak again, etc.)
OK, gotcha. (and lock the cable and device away somewhere so no one else can mess with you)
You got it.

Orillian

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Dev.
You forgot the "by jove" part........
By Jove the man has got it!!!

Did I do that right? ;)

But you are 100% correct From what I can tell JScan doesn't do anything that requires it to stay in, just the Tazer and maybe some of the other fancier modules that do Power Management stuff.

O.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
By Jove the man has got it!!!

Did I do that right? ;)

But you are 100% correct From what I can tell JScan doesn't do anything that requires it to stay in, just the Tazer and maybe some of the other fancier modules that do Power Management stuff.

O.
Well, Canada - I guess you could be British LOL

Sometimes I don't take the time to think it through - security-wise, best to remove all devices that ride the bus and can make changes, especially with the security bypass cable in place.
(and me, a former government network security admin - geesh)

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1999 Cherokee XJ, 1977 L82 Corvette
OK, but do you remove that cable and device each dealer visit?
I understand software-wise - but the other stuff in there...........
You remove the cable and device once you are done with the programming. That's the best part of the JSCAN--no need to leave in.

srunyon13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J20 JT LE
I bought the Jscan - about $90 all in.
I adjusted the tire size and my speedometer is in synch. I also adjusted the TPMS since I am at 32-33 psi for normal driving.
Other settings can be changed too with it.
I found the Vgate Bluetooth device for $30 on Amazon and the app is free on ios? What am I missing? How was yours $90?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You remove the cable and device once you are done with the programming. That's the best part of the JSCAN--no need to leave in.
And for my meager needs the price is right. Further, it is easy to update the app if they make changes.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but because of this, you don't get all the "live functions" of the Tazer, either...

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but because of this, you don't get all the "live functions" of the Tazer, either...
Leaving cable in place.....good way to get messed with.
Why would i care about "live functions"? I dont drive a mid 60s chevy with the hydraulics to make it bounce and jump around at some midnight gathering....... Its a truck, a jeep.

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

srunyon13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J20 JT LE
You need a cable as well which is $36 on Amazon, and then $18.99 for the VIN Licence within the app itself. My total was just under $90...
411oEu%2BIpyL._SY90_.jpg

spartshome Cable Adaptor for Chrysler for Chrysler Programming Cable 12+8 Connector Replacement for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 906 908 PRO Elite Autel
Sold by: iRomehony

$35.98
Gotcha, thanks! So the Vgate doesn't connect directly into the OBD port? I was under the impression it communicates via Bluetooth...I've used the AEV tuner, Superchips and the el Diablo in the past. Never used this high tech stuff :)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Leaving cable in place.....good way to get messed with.
Why would i care about "live functions"? I dont drive a mid 60s chevy with the hydraulics to make it bounce and jump around at some midnight gathering....... Its a truck, a jeep.
Well, the "live functions" aren't for hydraulics, but they are quite nice... Like "Winch Mode" where it raises the RPMs at the push of a button to keep alternator charging the battery at full juice... Turn-cam (turns your backup cam on when you use your turn signals), and lots of other features that are nice.

The Tazer doesn't have a cable. It mounts way up under the dash, completely out of the way, and doesn't connect to your OBDII port. It connects to your BUS system module under the dash, that it's up and out of the way, and you never know it's there after a proper install.

OP
OP
ckoyola

ckoyola

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha, thanks! So the Vgate doesn't connect directly into the OBD port? I was under the impression it communicates via Bluetooth...I've used the AEV tuner, Superchips and the el Diablo in the past. Never used this high tech stuff :)
It does not due to some security feature with Chrysler so maybe it is not as high tech but does the job well. The other programmers that do work directly in the OBD port must have a way to override without the added cable. There is a video on YouTube that has some info--search Jeep JT JL OBD programmer for under $100.
Sponsored