Sponsored

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-jeep-gladiator-ecodiesel-fuel-economy-mpg/

2021 Jeep Gladiator EPA-Estimated Fuel Economy
  • Gladiator EcoDiesel: 22/28/24 mpg (city/highway/combined)
  • Gladiator EcoDiesel Rubicon: 21/27/24 mpg (city/ highway/combined)
  • Gladiator Gas V-6 A/T: 17/22/19 mpg (city/ highway/combined)
  • Gladiator Gas V-6 M/T: 16/23/19 mpg (city/ highway/combined)

CNET also released an article today claiming 6,000lb towing capacity with ecodiesel due to 3.73 gears....They made it seem like if you put in 4.10 gears, you'd get an extra 500lbs....didn't mention payload.....It still seems like speculation....I'd rather see a sticker on a built ecodiesel

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-jeep-gladiator-diesel-ecodiesel-anniversary-willys-specs/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
Im not buying an ecodiesel for fuel savings. Come on Jeep, release the dang payload specs on the various trims with the ecodiesel.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
So if it is consistent with my experience with my Grand Cherokee 30+mpg highway is more than achievable even before a GDE tune.

OP
OP

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im not buying an ecodiesel for fuel savings. Come on Jeep, release the dang payload specs on the various trims with the ecodiesel.
CNET also released an article today claiming 6,000lb towing capacity with ecodiesel due to 3.73 gears....They made it seem like if you put in 4.10 gears, you'd get an extra 500lbs....didn't mention payload.....It still seems like speculation....I'd rather see a sticker on a built ecodiesel

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-jeep-gladiator-diesel-ecodiesel-anniversary-willys-specs/

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

And their mpg numbers are completely different from this motortrend article lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered an ecodiesel....not because of fuel savings, but having extended range for road trips is very nice.....I mostly bought it because I'm hoping that in general the ecodiesel can outlast the gas engine....I probably won't tow or haul a ton of stuff, but when I do I want the power to be there.....I probably won't go camping too aweful much, but when I do go camping or I'm on a fire scene and I have the truck sitting there at idle for potentially an hour or so, I don't want to lose 1/2 tank of gas or the engine to overheat.....I know there's all this regen crap on the diesel...and maybe I'm just biased because I'm used to diesel fire trucks....but in general, I feel like the diesel should outlast a gas V6 (although I would take a Hemi over the ecodiesel)

OP
OP

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And their mpg numbers are completely different from this motortrend article lol.
re-read it.....it's the same 22mpg city, 28mpg highway, 24 combined with 1mpg loss on rubicon due to larger tires....

the first epa ratings mentioned were the gas engine comparison

OP
OP

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
someone linked this in a different thread:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/chryslerme...Gladiator_Specsp1uietttqku5kc9c67rh0ruumm.pdf

they have tables for payload/towing for each trim and engine option......I notice there's a little star that says the Gross Cargo rating included 150lbs for the driver.....who the hell are driving these trucks?? looks like I need to lose a little weight

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
someone linked this in a different thread:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/chryslerme...Gladiator_Specsp1uietttqku5kc9c67rh0ruumm.pdf

they have tables for payload/towing for each trim and engine option......I notice there's a little star that says the Gross Cargo rating included 150lbs for the driver.....who the hell are driving these trucks?? looks like I need to lose a little weight
Yep Im going through it now and already finding issues not by choice. stating 4.10 standard in rubicon, 3.73 not an option or even a star saying diesel only. Doesnt state you cant have the full-time rock-trac with the diesel but based on info provided thus far, you can only get the part-time with the diesel and theyre GCWR calculation doesn't make sense either at least for the JTR diesel.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They also list diesel as an option for mojave when I thought that wasnt the case?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The should have done 3.21 axle like on the Ram 1500. There is no reason for 3.73 axle paired with a diesel on a Jeep. Payload and towing are both miserable on the Gladiator with EcoDiesel, and the 8-speed provides all the crawl capability needed for the trail, so there's no reason for deep axle gears. Unlike gas engines, diesels really do see changes in MPG with lower RPM. 3.21 axle gear would have made a lot more sense. It would have lost nothing, but would have gained MPG.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It only has an 18.3 gallon fuel tank? That stinks. I guess to have room for the def fluid or what it uses?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
A light duty diesel isn't the same thing as a medium duty diesel. I have never heard the GM 6.2l diesel lasts for 500,000 miles like the 5.9 Cummins, for example. The old Mercedes 3L turbo diesel, on the other hand......

There are so many heat exchangers on a JTR, I'm not concerned about overheating.

A turbo diesel is neat because it's a turbo diesel, full stop. An hour at idle won't harm a gasser JT any more than it will harm a diesel JT.

I ordered an ecodiesel....not because of fuel savings, but having extended range for road trips is very nice.....I mostly bought it because I'm hoping that in general the ecodiesel can outlast the gas engine....I probably won't tow or haul a ton of stuff, but when I do I want the power to be there.....I probably won't go camping too aweful much, but when I do go camping or I'm on a fire scene and I have the truck sitting there at idle for potentially an hour or so, I don't want to lose 1/2 tank of gas or the engine to overheat.....I know there's all this regen crap on the diesel...and maybe I'm just biased because I'm used to diesel fire trucks....but in general, I feel like the diesel should outlast a gas V6 (although I would take a Hemi over the ecodiesel)

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
The should have done 3.21 axle like on the Ram 1500. There is no reason for 3.73 axle paired with a diesel on a Jeep. Payload and towing are both miserable on the Gladiator with EcoDiesel, and the 8-speed provides all the crawl capability needed for the trail, so there's no reason for deep axle gears. Unlike gas engines, diesels really do see changes in MPG with lower RPM. 3.21 axle gear would have made a lot more sense. It would have lost nothing, but would have gained MPG.
adam from Rockkrawler told me on their JL diesel with 38s, the mpg on the freeway went from 25 to 28/29 Swapping from 3.73s to 4.11s and said hed definitely do 4.56s if he had to do it all over again.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Neat trick how that Diesel rubicon loses 1 mpg highway AND city, but keeps the same combined score.
the tow rating has NOTHING to do with the 3.73 axle ratio. The Ram 1500 uses the same trans and with 3.21 gears and 32" tires has a 13,900 GCW.
On 33" tires, you're only turning about 2080rpm at 80mph. That'll just nicely let you stay in 8th gear all day. if you go up to 35's, you'll turn 1990.
Sponsored