Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
and GM switched to 1 piece in 1986
Which made it a ton easier to change the seal for sure.
AMC never used such a seal in the rear. Always two piece, Chrysler continued that in AMC designs they still used into the 2000s.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
damn it ....... I actually had the answer before you posted that top pic

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Corvair Engine
Bingo! This is my 64 Monza Convertible. I gave it a modern clutch, Valvetrain, and added fuel injection. Wife loves taking it to the grocery store and watching people freak out when she puts the groceries in the engine bay lol
IMG_20140907_193919_227.jpg

Papa Smurf

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Telecom Construction
Not to hijack your thread and not a blown engine, but I had my brand new Gladiator (431 miles) an hour North of the dealership when it blew a transmission line. I wanted to keep the truck, but folks smarter than me said give it back and get a new one. I'm currently waiting on a 2021 Gladiator now. Did I make the right move by returning it?
50409552732_a4ac13ec60_z.jpg
Rubicon on flatbed by Phil Skigen, on Flickr

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I think you did. I had a Ram that blew a transmission relatively, brand new and the spent 6 weeks trying to rebuild it. They could not get it to work right. FCA finally sent a new trans but my dealer put me in a new truck. That move right there turn what probably would of soured me on Chrysler to an avid customer.

blackeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I think you did. I had a Ram that blew a transmission relatively, brand new and the spent 6 weeks trying to rebuild it. They could not get it to work right. FCA finally sent a new trans but my dealer put me in a new truck. That move right there turn what probably would of soured me on Chrysler to an avid customer.
Sounds like a solid dealer that knows how to keep a customer!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
He said line, not transmission............

Sponsored

OP
OP

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
So driving up the highway I had a sudden loss of power, a shudder and barely got off the highway as the truck died. It had a piston blown through the block. I had it towed to my dealership to have him tell me "you're the second Gladiator we got this week with a piston through the block". Mine had 11K miles, the other had 7K miles. Hope this is isolated....
So here's the update - while the Jeep was having the engine replaced, I asked for them to change the steering box as well. Once the engine was complete the technician came back and said the issue with the steering was due to "lifted Jeep" - funny but I only have spacers in the rear - no lift in the front. I explained this to the dealer, and he said I could bring it back in to have the technician drive it again - my response was I really wasn't feeling much confidence in the technician's opinion since he thought there was a lift, and regardless the TSB has nothing to do with the technician's opinion. The service rep told me to have someone else do it then, and hung up on me. Insult to injury, they failed to put a cloth when having the hood resting on the windshield and scratched the paint on the hood. Then, I noticed a coolant leak - couldn't see where from, but coolant was all over the engine. ARGH!!!! BUT - I called the dealer I purchased it from, they have the steering box on order, and even are coming to pick up the Jeep to fix the coolant leak (hope it's just a loose hose connection). Big call-out to Meadowlands of Carmel NY - the purchase was one of the easiest I had made and now I'm blown away by their service. Unfortunately they are a bit of a drive - but I will never use my local dealership again. @JeepCares even reached out to me to help my situation - my faith in the process and the product are restored!!!

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
So here's the update - while the Jeep was having the engine replaced, I asked for them to change the steering box as well. Once the engine was complete the technician came back and said the issue with the steering was due to "lifted Jeep" - funny but I only have spacers in the rear - no lift in the front. I explained this to the dealer, and he said I could bring it back in to have the technician drive it again - my response was I really wasn't feeling much confidence in the technician's opinion since he thought there was a lift, and regardless the TSB has nothing to do with the technician's opinion. The service rep told me to have someone else do it then, and hung up on me. Insult to injury, they failed to put a cloth when having the hood resting on the windshield and scratched the paint on the hood. Then, I noticed a coolant leak - couldn't see where from, but coolant was all over the engine. ARGH!!!! BUT - I called the dealer I purchased it from, they have the steering box on order, and even are coming to pick up the Jeep to fix the coolant leak (hope it's just a loose hose connection). Big call-out to Meadowlands of Carmel NY - the purchase was one of the easiest I had made and now I'm blown away by their service. Unfortunately they are a bit of a drive - but I will never use my local dealership again. @JeepCares even reached out to me to help my situation - my faith in the process and the product are restored!!!
What a bunch of idiots. It would have been so much easier to replace that gear with the motor out.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Are they fixing the scratches in the hood?
Sponsored