Sponsored

To Solenoid or Not

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
Just bought a Warn 10-S for the Gladiator and am currently waiting on the Warn mount for the OEM steel bumper. The mount appears to be on national back order as I guess COVID got their manufacturing speed in a bit of a bind. So as I wait, I was ordering things to make the install polished and nice.

I have a SPod and I currently trigger off the ignition system so that my ARB Compressor cannot be turned on unless the ignition is running. Its a 2 phased switch system whereby I have the ARB switch power controlled by the Spod per the ignition to a Grimm Offroad mounted ARB switch. I did this so when the kids air up their bicycles, they don't kill my battery by accidentally leaving the ARB switch on with power since the only way to know its on is the LED light on the switch under the hood. Therefore I use the Spod is a power enabler to the ARB switch. It works great and exactly as I wanted it to.

That led me to think about the Warn winch. It takes a huge amount of amperage and I figure that by using the ignition trigger for power to a solenoid from the SPod, someone won't use it without the engine running (my kids). More importantly, the Warn winch doesn't appear to have a fuse of any sort. My fear is that in the unlikely event that the Gladiator is involved in some form of accident, the long run of power from the bumper to the battery leaves a lot of room for a potential short on that thick cable, and thus potential for fire. I looked at putting a solenoid near the battery that the SPod controls for power to the winch, which then does the double duty of preventing running the winch unless the engine is running, and protects the possibility for a short during accident/fire.

Any thoughts on using a solenoid in this fashion and does anyone else here do it? Warn seems to have a nice power kit for this that has everything you need. Is this a waste to do or would this be something beneficial to do?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought a Warn 10-S for the Gladiator and am currently waiting on the Warn mount for the OEM steel bumper. The mount appears to be on national back order as I guess COVID got their manufacturing speed in a bit of a bind. So as I wait, I was ordering things to make the install polished and nice.

I have a SPod and I currently trigger off the ignition system so that my ARB Compressor cannot be turned on unless the ignition is running. Its a 2 phased switch system whereby I have the ARB switch power controlled by the Spod per the ignition to a Grimm Offroad mounted ARB switch. I did this so when the kids air up their bicycles, they don't kill my battery by accidentally leaving the ARB switch on with power since the only way to know its on is the LED light on the switch under the hood. Therefore I use the Spod is a power enabler to the ARB switch. It works great and exactly as I wanted it to.

That led me to think about the Warn winch. It takes a huge amount of amperage and I figure that by using the ignition trigger for power to a solenoid from the SPod, someone won't use it without the engine running (my kids). More importantly, the Warn winch doesn't appear to have a fuse of any sort. My fear is that in the unlikely event that the Gladiator is involved in some form of accident, the long run of power from the bumper to the battery leaves a lot of room for a potential short on that thick cable, and thus potential for fire. I looked at putting a solenoid near the battery that the SPod controls for power to the winch, which then does the double duty of preventing running the winch unless the engine is running, and protects the possibility for a short during accident/fire.

Any thoughts on using a solenoid in this fashion and does anyone else here do it? Warn seems to have a nice power kit for this that has everything you need. Is this a waste to do or would this be something beneficial to do?
I would recommend it for the reasons you mentioned. I bought the Warn kit with my Warn winch.

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator, 2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2020 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
Great... may I ask where/how you mounted it?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Great... may I ask where/how you mounted it?
I got a small piece of flat metal from Lowes. I'm going to fashion a mount somewhere between the battery and air box to attach the solenoid to. I've seen pictures of various ways it has been done in some of the older threads.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
You cant go wrong with adding the solnoid other than it's just one more thing to go bad eventually. For safety, Ive been wrapping my positive cables in heater hose for years for a little added insurance.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I used the cutoff switch that came with my winch. It's manual, but someone would have to open the hood to turn it on. So if some fool blows a stop light, I don't have battery power at the bumper/grill.

Jeep Gladiator To Solenoid or Not 20201017_135923_HDR

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks like a polished install. Thanks for the pic... that helps.

I was also thinking I could hang it off the fender as there is a nice location with one of the 10mm fender bolts that could hold it down.

I see a pretty good deal on the Warn power interrupt kit on Amazon right now. But the Bulldog Winch power interrupt kit is half the price. Anyone use that?

OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Ok...that is EXACTLY what I was thinking about doing... may I ask where you got that piece of metal?

EDIT: NM... you said ti in the thread... thank you for that.
It is a piece of ABS (plastic) that I bought on Amazon. It is 12"x12"x1/8". Let me know if you can't find it. I'll get you a link.

Sponsored

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
OP
OP

M0untainM4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats very polished. I have the Spod, so I will wire it to the other side. However, you are giving me a great idea for where to put a bus fuse power distribution bar for my rock lights. Great idea for what you did.

Let me ask... how did you get the holes for the screws to the fender lined up properly? Im guessing i could do like ceiling drywall... poke it on the template and cut around before transferring it to the plastic?

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Thats very polished. I have the Spod, so I will wire it to the other side. However, you are giving me a great idea for where to put a bus fuse power distribution bar for my rock lights. Great idea for what you did.

Let me ask... how did you get the holes for the screws to the fender lined up properly? Im guessing i could do like ceiling drywall... poke it on the template and cut around before transferring it to the plastic?
I measured the hole to hole distance with a compass (divider), transferred it to a piece of cardboard template, poked holes in the cardboard with a pen, and transferred to the ABS. Then I drilled holes in the ABS.
Sponsored