Sponsored

Read an article... The word 'Mojave' appeared.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Again, shouldnt matter. Bad taste, outright hostility, whatever the intent was or still is, the "outrage" is still just emotional kneejerk. Nobody is calling for banning the term "jaywalking" even though it was originally a derogatory term towards Irish immigrants.

People have too much time on their hands and too easy of a life if words are causing them to expend energies, especially on other peoples' lack of outrage
You should likely take your own advice in the last sentence above. The real question is why are you so worried about what other people are worried about?
Sponsored

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
It seems like there are many that get offended by the thought of someone else being offended. As far as the renaming of brands that use indigenous nomenclature in their marketing, I’ll leave it up to the the people who actually have a stake in the game to determine if it is offensive. Growing up I never thought of the Redskins as being offensive. I also never lived on a reservation or had ancestors who were slaughtered or removed from their original homes.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I suppose I am of the mindset that words only have power if you allow them to; that's my real reason form bringing up this topic/thread. Most of my closest friends are minorities, immigrants, gay, etc. Their strength demonstrates the lack of power with regards to words.

I could, just as easily, had let others words or opinions wear me out, however it motivated me to embrace and grow.

I better not start a thread about stand-up comedians saying many of the things we all think or things that makes us laugh because we're humans. That's courage and I appreciate those who can call a 'spade a spade'

I, personally, have owned a few Grand Cherokees. They are badass; If I could convince my wife to have another JT, it'd be a Mojave....why? Well, it's badass too! That's respect, from my perspective!

I do, however, take issue with Toyota and the audacity to build a Sequoia. Those trees are magnificent and that SUV sucks. Where my trees at?
This may make some heads explode, but the Sequoia trees are actually named after a person, "Sequoyah", a Cherokee who invented their alphabet and written language.

I love how whenever a thread starts with "this is not political" it always is, or turns that way. Kinda like prefacing a sentence with "no offense" right?

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
This may make some heads explode, but the Sequoia trees are actually named after a person, "Sequoyah", a Cherokee who invented their alphabet and written language.
giphy.gif

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Sorry I missed it. Where did you read it?
https://carbuzz.com/news/cherokee-nation-chief-wants-new-name-for-jeep-cherokee

"I'm sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," said the principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, Chuck Hoskin, Jr. "The best way to honor us is to learn about our sovereign government, our role in this country, our history, culture, and language and have meaningful dialogue with federally recognized tribes on cultural appropriateness."

I’d say he is qualified to speak for the Cherokee Nation. <— (not directed at @Papa Jawa but those who, like me, were curious who was offended).

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
You should likely take your own advice in the last sentence above. The real question is why are you so worried about what other people are worried about?
I am concerned about cancel culture because it could one day affect me. I am concerned about people letting their emotions dictate other peoples' behavior/freedoms, outside of quietly voting with their monies. And I am participating in this thread to raise the arguments against it for those who did not give it much thought beyond the media narrative. Specifically I have an interest in preserving the Cherokee term used in Jeeps because I like it. I want to keep seeing Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Apache, etc on badass vehicles. I want other terms used in relation to other groups, no matter how offensive, to be used as commonplace identifiers, to be able to freely say "Jeep Gladiator" or "Cherokee" and people know what I am referring to instead of having to use "Jeep JT" or whatever the Cherokee is, without having to worry about fear of negative repercussions from white knights on twitter doxing me and calling me a racist.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I am concerned about cancel culture because it could one day affect me. I am concerned about people letting their emotions dictate other peoples' behavior/freedoms, outside of quietly voting with their monies. And I am participating in this thread to raise the arguments against it for those who did not give it much thought beyond the media narrative. Specifically I have an interest in preserving the Cherokee term used in Jeeps because I like it. I want to keep seeing Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Comanche, Apache, etc on badass vehicles. I want other terms used in relation to other groups, no matter how offensive, to be used as commonplace identifiers, to be able to say "Jee Gladiator" and people know what I am referring to instead of having to use "Jeep JT"
Quote:
Specifically I have an interest in preserving the Cherokee term used in Jeeps because “I like it”.

I’m glad you have so much in stake at this game.

In regards to the cancel culture... most of the people who have been “canceled” downright deserved it.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
I’m going to officially say that this thread has jumped the shark. I think my Mojave is badass even if Mojave wasn’t plastered on the sides of the hood. It’s a name. I still would have bought it even if it was called the Jeep Gladiator Honkie because I bought it for the suspension not the decals.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
https://carbuzz.com/news/cherokee-nation-chief-wants-new-name-for-jeep-cherokee

"I'm sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car," said the principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, Chuck Hoskin, Jr. "The best way to honor us is to learn about our sovereign government, our role in this country, our history, culture, and language and have meaningful dialogue with federally recognized tribes on cultural appropriateness."

I’d say he is qualified to speak for the Cherokee Nation. <— (not directed at @Papa Jawa but those who, like me, were curious who was offended).
Awesome, thanks. I had read through the posts but somehow missed the original article. Yeah if the President of the Cherokee Nation says its offensive, then it is.

Its easy to say people are too sensitive. But if you are not a member of a marginalized group, then I think we should listen more and speak less.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Awesome, thanks. I had read through the posts but somehow missed the original article. Yeah if the President of the Cherokee Nation says its offensive, then it is.

Its easy to say people are too sensitive. But if you are not a member of a marginalized group, then I think we should listen more and speak less.
Spot on.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I’m going to officially say that this thread has jumped the shark. I think my Mojave is badass even if Mojave wasn’t plastered on the sides of the hood. It’s a name. I still would have bought it even if it was called the Jeep Gladiator Honkie because I bought it for the suspension not the decals.
You must really love it, if you would drive around with Honkie on the side! I would still drive my Rubicon if it said "I'm a Cute Little Unicorn" on the side. Of course the font would have to be smaller.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Its nice to see what other people think.

Names are weird. Like all words, it's a placeholder for something tangible. People can sometimes get more attached to the symbol of something than the actual object without realizing it.

Change is inevitable. Look at the names some of the first baseball teams - mostly based on the color socks they wanted to wear. Those names weren't anything special, but perhaps they were better than some of the more modern names... no offense directed at the Marlins or the Diamondbacks.

Soccer had a similar naming "problem". Early teams had dumb names (Earthquakes? Fusion? Mutiny?) and now most of them are stylized "FC" for football club or "United" as they do in England. I think people are able to identify a team based on it's location just as easily as an animal.

Washington Football Team may just be ahead of everyone else.

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I actually take offense that you think the sequoia sucks, they are a bad ass long lasting machine with an awesome 5.7. Other than the poor gas mileage they are of the most reliable full-size suvs on the road. I wish my gladiator came with a 5.7 option for 45k....
I like the Sequoia. I just configured one online two days ago; a black edition trim. Sweet!

The trees are better though, just sayin'....
Sponsored