Sponsored

Read an article... The word 'Mojave' appeared.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
The Cherokee tribe made a statement back in 2013, stating that they don’t care that Jeep uses the name. They care if businesses or institutions is derogatory indian names and/or terms.

We have to make a choice if a name is derogatory or not when looking at these situations. If we don’t, where do we stop? I think most people now a days have a lot of respect for the Indian heritage in our country. It would be a shame to remove all the culturally Indian words form our society. Seems worse to me, like a cultural segregation.

I can see the issue with Red Skins, that seems clearly derogatory. Chiefs, does not. Nor does Cherokee.

Are we going to decide that any Indian term or word is off limits? If we do, can a white business man have an Indian restaurant? Or is that appropriation?

there is a lack of reasonable discussion about what is ok and isn’t. Instead we are just told what is offense. And if we are not on the bandwagon, we are part of the problem.

The more people cry wolf about things being offensive, eventually, the more truly offensive things will be ignored.
We live in a clown world where the a certain group tells others that they are wrong to not be offended, to be victims, and think so little of the ability of minorities that they take on the mantle of white knight.
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
We live in a clown world where the a certain group tells others that they are wrong to not be offended, to be victims, and think so little of the ability of minorities that they take on the mantle of white knight.
I think teaching people how to be victims is a real thing.

We also tend to buy into what our party is selling. I’ve done it myself. Everyone just needs to slow their role. Take care of yourself, those around you, and those in your community. We are not helping anyone standing on our soap boxes online.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
This isn't political; this cancel culture sucks. I read that amongst other words we need to remove from Jeep culture is Cherokee and Mojave.

I used to jokingly tell people to 'grow up', but now I mean it!
I say give them what they want. Think about the ultimate result of it. Reminds me of the old addage. Be careful what you ask for.

I say rename it after another desert. And then Mojave owners wind up with a more valuable collectors item.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The First Amendment protects unpopular speech. Popular speech needs no protection.
I think he means, you don’t have freedom of speech on a forum. The moderators have every right to delete or end a thread. It doesn’t have anything to do with the First Amendment.

The comment he replied to made it seem like is freedom of speech rights were going to be infringed upon, if the moderators deleted this thread. This Forum has a no politics rule.

but you are right, it is to protect offensive speech. It’s a glorious thing to be cherished.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I'm all asses and elbows gettin' in before it gets closed... We've known this awhile, names matter. But what's funny to me is this: if a cry baby cries because another cry baby cries, who loves plywood ?? :LOL::CWL::LOL::rock::like:

Jeep Gladiator Read an article... The word 'Mojave' appeared. 1306391-1000-1347

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
In the case of the word Cherokee, we all need to heed the wishes of people who are actually Cherokee. If it’s some Caucasian person getting butthurt about it and not an indigenous person, it doesn’t hold the same amount of water.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
The new American past time of looking for stuff to be bothered about.

I've not heard of this one. Are there actually legitimate people upset about the name Mojave? By legitimate, I mean an actual native American person from whom we could perhaps consult?

Not some self serving news intern looking to make a name for themselves by fanning the flames of stuff that was never a thing until they made it a thing.

But thinking this over, and I'm of Italian decent so I don't mind saying that a gladiator "mostacholli" has a nice ring to it.

Yes? No?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
https://mdhca.org/local-history/the-name-mojave

The Name Mojave
Mojave Indian
The name [Mojave] is composed of two Indian words, aha, water, and macave, along or beside. Aha denotes either singular or plural number. Mojaves translate the idiom "along or beside the water," or freely as "people who live along the water (river)."

For more than a century the name "Mojave," or its counterpart "Mohave," has been used as the name of an Indian tribe who lived - and whose survivors still live - along the Colorado River. It has come to be the name also of such geographic features as Mojave River, Mojave Desert, Mojave Mountains, Mojave Valley, Lake Mojave. Allegedly it is an Indian name, and supposedly the geographic features were named after the Mojave, Mohave Indian tribe. Indians who bear the name, however, say that it is a misnomer and not their real tribal name. They claim that their true Indian name always was, and is, Aha macave (pronounced aha makav, all a's sounded as the a in "father," the c as in "cool," the e silent). The one form, Aha macave, is both singular and plural.

Extract from Lorraine M. Sherer's definitive work, "The Name Mojave, Mohave: A History of Its Origin and Meaning" published in the Southern California Quarterly, Publication of the Historical Society of Southern California, March 1967.

As a bonus feature, free to interested jeepers who crawl and roady in the desert so named, and If you want true American scandal story, full of history, honor, valor, war, criminals, the Supreme Court, the National Park Service, religion, and importantly No Politics, see here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Memorial_Cross

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I think he means, you don’t have freedom of speech on a forum. The moderators have every right to delete or end a thread. It doesn’t have anything to do with the First Amendment.

The comment he replied to made it seem like is freedom of speech rights were going to be infringed upon, if the moderators deleted this thread. This Forum has a no politics rule.

but you are right, it is to protect offensive speech. It’s a glorious thing to be cherished.
Ahh. Ok. I misunderstood. Thanks!

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
In the case of the word Cherokee, we all need to heed the wishes of people who are actually Cherokee. If it’s some Caucasian person getting butthurt about it and not an indigenous person, it doesn’t hold the same amount of water.
By this standard any non indigenous person could be just as upset with an indigent using the name Oxford or Virginia. Does this mean now that N & S Dakota must change their state names? Or Colorado?
There comes a point of ridiculous and this is where we are now. It‘s like a competition to see who can out-woke whom.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
By this standard any non indigenous person could be just as upset with an indigent using the name Oxford or Virginia. Does this mean now that N & S Dakota must change their state names? Or Colorado?
There comes a point of ridiculous and this is where we are now. It‘s like a competition to see who can out-woke whom.
Once again, I’m not Cherokee so I don’t know if this is offensive or not. Apparently the heads of the Cherokee nation addressed this years ago and said they weren’t offended by the use of the name. Some of the cancel culture mentality is as you say, ridiculous. Some are indeed racial in nature such as the Washington Redskins or the logo of the Cleveland Indians. My point is I’m not indigenous. It’s not for me to say what they are sensitive to.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
https://mdhca.org/local-history/the-name-mojave

The Name Mojave
Mojave Indian
The name [Mojave] is composed of two Indian words, aha, water, and macave, along or beside. Aha denotes either singular or plural number. Mojaves translate the idiom "along or beside the water," or freely as "people who live along the water (river)."

The wiki searcher experts have official spoken!
For more than a century the name "Mojave," or its counterpart "Mohave," has been used as the name of an Indian tribe who lived - and whose survivors still live - along the Colorado River. It has come to be the name also of such geographic features as Mojave River, Mojave Desert, Mojave Mountains, Mojave Valley, Lake Mojave. Allegedly it is an Indian name, and supposedly the geographic features were named after the Mojave, Mohave Indian tribe. Indians who bear the name, however, say that it is a misnomer and not their real tribal name. They claim that their true Indian name always was, and is, Aha macave (pronounced aha makav, all a's sounded as the a in "father," the c as in "cool," the e silent). The one form, Aha macave, is both singular and plural.

Extract from Lorraine M. Sherer's definitive work, "The Name Mojave, Mohave: A History of Its Origin and Meaning" published in the Southern California Quarterly, Publication of the Historical Society of Southern California, March 1967.

As a bonus feature, free to interested jeepers who crawl and roady in the desert so named, and If you want true American scandal story, full of history, honor, valor, war, criminals, the Supreme Court, the National Park Service, religion, and importantly No Politics, see here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Memorial_Cross
Sponsored