Sponsored

Read an article... The word 'Mojave' appeared.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Once again, I’m not Cherokee so I don’t know if this is offensive or not. Apparently the heads of the Cherokee nation addressed this years ago and said they weren’t offended by the use of the name. Some of the cancel culture mentality is as you say, ridiculous. Some are indeed racial in nature such as the Washington Redskins or the logo of the Cleveland Indians. My point is I’m not indigenous. It’s not for me to say what they are sensitive to.
It shouldn't matter if the majority of the group or leadership deem it offensive. So what? Companies are supposed to change merchandise, marketing, HISTORY of something like a sports team because of feelings? Brands have power, people worked hard to establish a brand and give it monetary value. By strong-arming someone in changing a legitimate mark/name you are essentially taking their property without compensation.
Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Once again, I’m not Cherokee so I don’t know if this is offensive or not. Apparently the heads of the Cherokee nation addressed this years ago and said they weren’t offended by the use of the name. Some of the cancel culture mentality is as you say, ridiculous. Some are indeed racial in nature such as the Washington Redskins or the logo of the Cleveland Indians. My point is I’m not indigenous. It’s not for me to say what they are sensitive to.
Yep leave it to the actual Native Americans to say what is and isn’t offensive to them. Keep in mind there is more than one band of Cherokee's, and One statement from one government doesn’t mean all cherokee people believe the same thing.

I actually live on a reservation here in Va, and let me tell you, it was quite divided on the redskins topic. The people that had the biggest issue with it was because non-native people were telling them what they should and shouldn’t be offended by...

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It shouldn't matter if the majority of the group or leadership deem it offensive. So what? Companies are supposed to change merchandise, marketing, HISTORY of something like a sports team because of feelings? Brands have power, people worked hard to establish a brand and give it monetary value. By strong-arming someone in changing a legitimate mark/name you are essentially taking their property without compensation.
That’s what many people said before the redkins changed the name. Remember Dan Snyder’s famous remarks? I will never change the name...

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I suppose I am of the mindset that words only have power if you allow them to; that's my real reason form bringing up this topic/thread. Most of my closest friends are minorities, immigrants, gay, etc. Their strength demonstrates the lack of power with regards to words.

I could, just as easily, had let others words or opinions wear me out, however it motivated me to embrace and grow.

I better not start a thread about stand-up comedians saying many of the things we all think or things that makes us laugh because we're humans. That's courage and I appreciate those who can call a 'spade a spade'

I, personally, have owned a few Grand Cherokees. They are badass; If I could convince my wife to have another JT, it'd be a Mojave....why? Well, it's badass too! That's respect, from my perspective!

I do, however, take issue with Toyota and the audacity to build a Sequoia. Those trees are magnificent and that SUV sucks. Where my trees at?

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Seriously....... "just change it to make everyone happy"....... What makes one person happy pisses someone else off.

If the name of a vehicle that has been used for dozens of years offends you, I would suggest, you might be the problem.......not the name

I suggest everyone stop trying to be offended or justify someone else being offended. Get over yourself. Find something that makes you happy in life and stop focusing on shit that doesn't.

Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I predict this thread will get closed soon. The First Amendment is an endangered animal these days. Do not care if you are right or left. You have the right to say what you want. I had a colleague police every sticker in my back window of my Jeep. He was especially interested in my Polish Air Force sticker. Wanted to know what it was... Then proceeded to tell all manner of Polish jokes.
As long as the government isn't punishing you it has nothing to do with the first amendment, at least understand the amendments you complain are being infringed by a forum moderator.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose I am of the mindset that words only have power if you allow them to; that's my real reason form bringing up this topic/thread. Most of my closest friends are minorities, immigrants, gay, etc. Their strength demonstrates the lack of power with regards to words.

I could, just as easily, had let others words or opinions wear me out, however it motivated me to embrace and grow.

I better not start a thread about stand-up comedians saying many of the things we all think or things that makes us laugh because we're humans. That's courage and I appreciate those who can call a 'spade a spade'

I, personally, have owned a few Grand Cherokees. They are badass; If I could convince my wife to have another JT, it'd be a Mojave....why? Well, it's badass too! That's respect, from my perspective!

I do, however, take issue with Toyota and the audacity to build a Sequoia. Those trees are magnificent and that SUV sucks. Where my trees at?
I haven’t heard of anyone being offended by the terms “Cherokee” or “Mojave” on jeeps. My mother in law had a grand Cherokee for years, but hey maybe that’s because she’s not Cherokee. I think Jeep has done a good job at being non-ignorant and respectable about the use of the names. No animated, stereotypical visual bs propaganda like many other sports teams have done in the past.

I think the main issue here is that many are trying to tell others what to believe in and what to be offended by. That’s the real underlying issue. Leave it to the person who is actually offended.

Most of the people having conversations about theses topics shouldn’t even people sitting at the table to have the discussion in the first place.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I actually take offense that you think the sequoia sucks, they are a bad ass long lasting machine with an awesome 5.7. Other than the poor gas mileage they are of the most reliable full-size suvs on the road. I wish my gladiator came with a 5.7 option for 45k....

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Some members of our society need to go back to elementary school to re-learn "sticks and stones". Land o' Lakes removed the "Indian Maiden" from packaging. Now if I were of American Indian descent, I would be proud that a major corporation would choose to have a likeness of my kindred as a mascot/emblem. The US Army names it's helicopter models after the tribes it fought in the past to honor the bravery and skill of those same tribes.

Face it. Our existence is governed by petulant children. How did we get here? By trying to please the woman/wife/mother/daughter because that is what boys are taught, indoctrinated and genetically predisposed to do. Play nice and you might get some 'tang for dessert.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some members of our society need to go back to elementary school to re-learn "sticks and stones". Land o' Lakes removed the "Indian Maiden" from packaging. Now if I were of American Indian descent, I would be proud that a major corporation would choose to have a likeness of my kindred as a mascot/emblem. The US Army names it's helicopter models after the tribes it fought in the past to honor the bravery and skill of those same tribes.

Face it. Our existence is governed by petulant children. How did we get here? By trying to please the woman/wife/mother/daughter because that is what boys are taught, indoctrinated and genetically predisposed to do. Play nice and you might get some 'tang for dessert.
Face it, you aren’t Native American. It’s not about honor, it’s about placing stereotypical imagery on a group of people that does truly represent them. To some, it demoralizes and delegitimizes their culture? Honor? Hardly. Ignorance? Likely. The same argument was used by Dan Snyder...

Once again it’s hilarious that the people who are making the biggest fuss about the topic are the ones who are “offended” that others are “offended”. Contradictory at all?

Sponsored

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
This isn't political; this cancel culture sucks. I read that amongst other words we need to remove from Jeep culture is Cherokee and Mojave.

I used to jokingly tell people to 'grow up', but now I mean it!
Sorry I missed it. Where did you read it?

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Clearly you don't understand tone.

As long as the government isn't punishing you it has nothing to do with the first amendment, at least understand the amendments you complain are being infringed by a forum moderator.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
What if they were called the Washington Honkies? The fact that the name is born in bad taste is the issue, not the multi billion dollar profit machine that is NFL football.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What if they were called the Washington Honkies? The fact that the name is born in bad taste is the issue, not the multi billion dollar profit machine that is NFL football.
Again, shouldnt matter. Bad taste, outright hostility, whatever the intent was or still is, the "outrage" is still just emotional kneejerk. Nobody is calling for banning the term "jaywalking" even though it was originally a derogatory term towards Irish immigrants.

People have too much time on their hands and too easy of a life if words are causing them to expend energies, especially on other peoples' lack of outrage
Sponsored