Sponsored

Read an article... The word 'Mojave' appeared.

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I’m going to officially say that this thread has jumped the shark. I think my Mojave is badass even if Mojave wasn’t plastered on the sides of the hood. It’s a name. I still would have bought it even if it was called the Jeep Gladiator Honkie because I bought it for the suspension not the decals.
I de-badge my vehicles...all of them. I am not a Gladiator, Rubicon, Wrangler, Commander or an Overland. I am offended by all of these things. I even swapped out my Goodyear's on the XK last year as 2020 was clearly not a Good Year. I bought Nitto's and until they aren't Neat-O, I am sticking with them.

***selling my iPhone on craigslist now as "I" is not a pronoun I am comfortable with***

EDIT: My Asus laptop sounds racist; selling it now as well; BTW, it has nothing to do with the core i5 seventh gen processor slowing down. My downloaded adult movies probably have nothing to do with that either. Also, those movies are downloaded by my wife. Calling Jerry Springer show now!

EDIT 2: In almost all situations, the Spanish name Jesus is pronounced "hay-SOOS". ASUS is too close to tangle!
Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
You must really love it, if you would drive around with Honkie on the side! I would still drive my Rubicon if it said "I'm a Cute Little Unicorn" on the side. Of course the font would have to be smaller.
Honkie would with no doubt be canceled in culture.

I put a gladiator sticker on mine simply because back in 2019 I was tired of people saying hey what model Jeep is that? ;)

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
My problem with catering to all the marginalized groups is that my grandmother was black, my other grandmother was Chinese, my father was born in Cuba my mother is an Italian born in Peru and my skin color is as white as can be with bright blue eyes.... i'm technically a part of Multiple Minority groups but my appearance prevents me from speaking for any of them.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Awesome, thanks. I had read through the posts but somehow missed the original article. Yeah if the President of the Cherokee Nation says its offensive, then it is.

Its easy to say people are too sensitive. But if you are not a member of a marginalized group, then I think we should listen more and speak less.
It was the governments and learned scholars that divided the Human Race into ethnic groups, ultimately pitting one against the other. By our reasoning nature, we discriminate based upon differences. What scientific method does the collective You employ to make logical decisions? Okay, let us leave logic out of the Human Experience.

• We must realize that our Party’s most powerful weapon is racial tension. By
    pounding into the consciousness of the dark races, that for centuries they have
    been oppressed by whites, we can mold them into the program of the Communist
    Party. In America, we aim for several victories. While inflaming the Negro
    minorities against the whites, we will instill in the whites a guilt complex
    for their supposed exploitation of the Negroes. We will aid the Blacks to rise
    to prominence in every walk of life and in the world of sports and
    entertainment. With this prestige, the Negro will be able to intermarry with
    the whites and will begin the process which will deliver America to our cause.

- Playwright Israel Cohen

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
It was the governments and learned scholars that divided the Human Race into ethnic groups, ultimately pitting one against the other. By our reasoning nature, we discriminate based upon differences. What scientific method does the collective You employ to make logical decisions? Okay, let us leave logic out of the Human Experience.

This whole quote is a hoax from 1957. The Internet giveth and the Internet taketh away....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Racial_Program_for_the_Twentieth_Century

Come on Man

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma

I had never seen this quote before (copied above), but it made me curious, so I googled it. According to Wikipedia, the quote was a hoax, and the book it came from (A Racial Program for the 20th Century) never existed, but Rep. Thomas Abernethy of Mississippi read the quote into the Congressional Record in 1957. Wikipedia cites as its source a book called: They Never Said It: A Book of Fake Quotes (Boller and George, 1990). The book was published by Oxford University Press, which has a rigorous review process.

This made me more curious. Wikipedia can be subject to distortion by politically motivated contributors, but their source checked out as a valid source. So I googled a little more. According to Arthur Goldwag, in his book The New Hate: A History of Fear and Loathing on the Populist Right, published by Random House in 2012, the quote is a hoax. As is clear from the book's title, Goldwag is writing from the perspective of the left, but still, it gives pause.

It is possible that these two sources are (1) not accurate, or (2) not the result of independent research (i.e. one of the sources could be using the other one, and so what looks like two sources might really be just be one). I don't know. But it points to the importance of fact-checking. Now, more than ever, we have to guard against being manipulated by those who seek to divide our country. United we stand, divided we fall.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had never seen this quote before (copied above), but it made me curious, so I googled it. According to Wikipedia, the quote was a hoax, and the book it came from (A Racial Program for the 20th Century) never existed, but Rep. Thomas Abernethy of Mississippi read the quote into the Congressional Record in 1957. Wikipedia cites as its source a book called: They Never Said It: A Book of Fake Quotes (Boller and George, 1990).

This made me more curious. Wikipedia can be subject to distortion by politically motivated contributors, but their source checked out as a valid source - though I cannot attest to its accuracy. So I googled a little more. According to Arthur Goldwag, in his book The New Hate: A History of Fear and Loathing on the Populist Right, published by Random House in 2012, the quote is a hoax. As is clear from the book's title, Goldwag is writing from the perspective of the left, but still, it gives pause.

It is possible that these two sources are (1) not accurate, or (2) not the result of independent research (i.e. one of the sources could be using the other one, and so what looks like two sources might really be just be one). I don't know. But it points to the importance of fact-checking. Now, more than ever, we have to guard against being manipulated by those who seek to divide our country. United we stand, divided we fall.
This is what happens when people use Wikipedia as legitimate resources, people become internet experts on everything, and their expertise comes from writings of anyone with a keyboard and a couple fingers.

I think people are mainly missing the big points here:
1) the main issue is with names that are derogatory
2) or names that maybe aren’t offensive, but are paired with imagery that is (mascots/commercials /logos etc)
3) let the people who actually represent these groups speak. Why are some people so quick to jump to say what people should and shouldn’t be offended by?
4) just because you can google doesn’t make you an expert on anything!

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
This is what happens when people use Wikipedia as legitimate resources, people become internet experts on everything, and their expertise comes from writings of anyone with a keyboard and a couple fingers.

I think people are mainly missing the big points here:
1) the main issue is with names that are derogatory
2) or names that maybe aren’t offensive, but are paired with imagery that is (mascots/commercials /logos etc)
3) let the people who actually represent these groups speak. Why are some people so quick to jump to say what people should and shouldn’t be offended by?
4) just because you can google doesn’t make you an expert on anything!
I never claimed to be an expert. That should be clear from my post. In fact - I was totally transparent in my post - I say I knew nothing about the quote, I explained my brief research process, and I cited my sources. I started with Wikipedia, and then tracked down their source, and then I found an additional source. The two sources I present are both from legitimate publishing firms (Oxford has just about the highest standards in the world) - so not just some guy with a keyboard. Frankly sir, you are out of line. I suspect you have been triggered somehow, so take a moment and reflect.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I only read page 1. This "cancel culture" stuff is crazy. I just read that some people are pushing to change breast milk/feeding to "chest milk" to keep it genter neutral. Crazy times...

Sponsored

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
My problem with catering to all the marginalized groups is that my grandmother was black, my other grandmother was Chinese, my father was born in Cuba my mother is an Italian born in Peru and my skin color is as white as can be with bright blue eyes.... i'm technically a part of Multiple Minority groups but my appearance prevents me from speaking for any of them.
This is an interesting point.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I suspect you have been triggered somehow, so take a moment and reflect.
Ok Ok, now we have jumped the shark. Pretty sure he was actually agreeing with you, @stickshifter. Most wikipedians don't do follow-up research.

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
unfortunately, gone are the days of live and let live. kids/we are no longer taught it's okay to disagree or have a different opinion from another and yet not hate them!

the bottom line is this specific scenario can be analyzed from countless view points and honestly valid points made from every position.........that's ultimately not the point. the point is this is supposed to be a free country, meaning you are free to make your own decisions, think what you want and arrive at your own conclusions. it DOESN'T give you the right to trample somebody else's freedoms. if you don't like something, don't support it, don't give it your time and/or your money......... but don't tell somebody else they can't! and don't threaten them or their wellbeing for having an opinion different than yours.

the post above referring to segregating people into classes and then pitting them against one another is exactly what is going on today. i try not to go down the conspiracy road however, there is some force or concerted movement driving, organizing and executing this division and it i do fear it is at the boiling point.

if people won't get out of each others business and stop trying to force the other to believe what they believe "or else". this will NOT end well!

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
unfortunately, gone are the days of live and let live. kids/we are no longer taught it's okay to disagree or have a different opinion from another and yet not hate them!

the bottom line is this specific scenario can be analyzed from countless view points and honestly valid points made from every position.........that's ultimately not the point. the point is this is supposed to be a free country, meaning you are free to make your own decisions, think what you want and arrive at your own conclusions. it DOESN'T give you the right to trample somebody else's freedoms. if you don't like something, don't support it, don't give it your time and/or your money......... but don't tell somebody else they can't! and don't threaten them or their wellbeing for having an opinion different than yours.

the post above referring to segregating people into classes and then pitting them against one another is exactly what is going on today. i try not to go down the conspiracy road however, there is some force or concerted movement driving, organizing and executing this division and it i do fear it is at the boiling point.

if people won't get out of each others business and stop trying to force the other to believe what they believe "or else". this will NOT end well!
What happened to the days when we could all have separate opinions and have a cordial conversation? That’s the real problem with society today, things are too polarized.
Sponsored