First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales Engineer
For another possible option, you could have a combination of both matte and satin black.
Just finished this topographic pattern blackout this weekend, though I decided to stay with the original Jeep badge. Was able to wrap the backup camera bezel to match as well.

P1011715E.jpg

P1011710E.jpg
P1011718E.jpg
Thats pretty cool too.
Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Thats pretty cool too.
The topo pattern is a printed single layer film in the 3M 2080 Wrap material. Got it from Don at Pixel Decals. I really like how it came out.

OP
OP
tampahoosier

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
The topo pattern is a printed single layer film in the 3M 2080 Wrap material. Got it from Don at Pixel Decals. I really like how it came out.
WTF!! Iā€™ve been chatting with him about the topo for the tailgate since February because I have the hood topo with red outline and Iā€™m considering it on the tailgate. He put me on his list to notify me as soon as it was avail and I was just on it yesterday and it doesnā€™t up as an option to purchase. He said he wouldnā€™t get to it until end of April at the earliest.

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
WTF!! Iā€™ve been chatting with him about the topo for the tailgate since February because I have the hood topo with red outline and Iā€™m considering it on the tailgate. He put me on his list to notify me as soon as it was avail and I was just on it yesterday and it doesnā€™t up as an option to purchase. He said he wouldnā€™t get to it until end of April at the earliest.
He doesn't currently have a pre-cut kit for the tailgate blackout yet.
I asked him about the tailgate when I ordered the hood kit, and he was good to send me the bulk orange and topo pattern material
I used the 3M knifeless tape to trim the outer edge of the wrap material after application. I applied both layers dry as was afraid if I used a slip solution the wrap material might not adhere tightly to the knifeless tape, and result in a bad edge cut. This worked really well.

Actually I believe it worked out much better this way over all, as I think it would be a lot more difficult to keep the orange outline spacing consistent around the edge if you were to use a pre-cut kit.
The concave curvature of the sheet metal around the taillight openings combined with the radius of the bed corner would make it very easy to get it mis-aligned.

OP
OP
tampahoosier

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
He doesn't currently have a pre-cut kit for the tailgate blackout yet.
I asked him about the tailgate when I ordered the hood kit, and he was good to send me the bulk orange and topo pattern material
I used the 3M knifeless tape to trim the outer edge of the wrap material after application. I applied both layers dry as was afraid if I used a slip solution the wrap material might not adhere tightly to the knifeless tape, and result in a bad edge cut. This worked really well.

Actually I believe it worked out much better this way over all, as I think it would be a lot more difficult to keep the orange outline spacing consistent around the edge if you were to use a pre-cut kit.
The concave curvature of the sheet metal around the taillight openings combined with the radius of the bed corner would make it very easy to get it mis-aligned.
Well yeah, I can totally agree on that! I thought doing my tailgate and lights was incredibly easy with the knifeless tape, and I have never wrapped before. So you put the knifeless tape down then slapped the first layer over it (and you chose orange?), then did the same thing again with a sheet of the topo? Can you send me some close ups (head on and from sides) of the tailgate and and taillights where the edges of the vinyl are? I want to see where you chose to have the black and orange vinyls cut in relation to the indent/curves.

FYI 3M says itā€™s not recommended to use solution for thatā€™s (such as rapid tac) so itā€™s good you didnā€™t!

Sponsored

Killroy Was Here

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Well yeah, I can totally agree on that! I thought doing my tailgate and lights was incredibly easy with the knifeless tape, and I have never wrapped before. So you put the knifeless tape down then slapped the first layer over it (and you chose orange?), then did the same thing again with a sheet of the topo? Can you send me some close ups (head on and from sides) of the tailgate and and taillights where the edges of the vinyl are? I want to see where you chose to have the black and orange vinyls cut in relation to the indent/curves.

FYI 3M says itā€™s not recommended to use solution for thatā€™s (such as rapid tac) so itā€™s good you didnā€™t!
PM sent w/pix.

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think 1x5 would be enough. The tailgate section itself is about 11.5" and you need a few inches top and bottom for the knifeless tape to work. Also 5ft is not going to leave you with enough to do around the tail lights either. If you only wanted to do the tailgate (IMO it would look weird) you need the 2x5 section. If you want to do the tailgate and lights you need 2 rolls of 2x10.

RVINYL.com has some left. You can purchase two sections of 2x5 at $25 for each. Links to vinyl and squeegees are below. As far as YouTube just search for tips/tricks to install 3m vinyl wrap. FYI I did find a video specific for wrapping the gladiator tailgate, so I posted it below too.

https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Wrap-Film-Series-2080-Matte-Deep-Black-Vinyl.html

https://smile.amazon.com/Blulu-Edge...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 11.33.22 AM.png
Music was too loud. Barely understood anything.

Snakeyes

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Engineer
@Snakeyes the wrap on mine is also the Matte (2080 Matte Deep Black). I preferred it over the satin and did it myself. Much easier to pull lines with the knife less tape then slap the vinyl on over it and rip the knifeless tape off.
I forgot to ask what knifeless did you use. Im looking at the 3m finish line but not sure that will work for the angles around the taillights. Not sure if i need design line.

grownwrong

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2020 JL Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
engineer
Thanks to you both for your replies. I think im now covinced that i should so deep matte 2080 with knifeless. which was basically where i was at but the satin idea popped in my head in the last week for some reason.
I ordered the 3M 2080 Satin (haven't installed it yet) to hopefully more closely match my Satin front grill. But we'll see. Matte would have been my choice if not for the matching idea.

OP
OP
tampahoosier

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I forgot to ask what knifeless did you use. Im looking at the 3m finish line but not sure that will work for the angles around the taillights. Not sure if i need design line.
Stick with the Finish Line, it works perfectly fine. I used it on the tailgate and around the tail lights without any issues whatsoever. The Design Line is prone to easy breaks, including when you go to pull it for cuts in the vinyl.

Sponsored

Snakeyes

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Stick with the Finish Line, it works perfectly fine. I used it on the tailgate and around the tail lights without any issues whatsoever. The Design Line is prone to easy breaks, including when you go to pull it for cuts in the vinyl.
Great thats what i was thinking too. Thanks ahain.

OP
OP
tampahoosier

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator The last Gladiator Tailgate Badge You Will Ever Need! 20210416_184416

Wrap and badges look even better with lift and 37s
Solid! Are you headed to Jeep Beach this week?

Off topic but howā€™s the mileage on the diesel and what is an oil change running you?

OdieFL

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Gladiator Eco Diesel
Occupation
CNC Programming
Solid! Are you headed to Jeep Beach this week?

Off topic but howā€™s the mileage on the diesel and what is an oil change running you?
I still have my free oil changes to use, I am actually sitting at the dealership getting one now, I will for sure ask them what it costs for you, and I just got the tires on yesterday. They're going to recalibrate for the 37s since I don't have the Tazer yet so I'll keep you posted on that. I'm not going to Jeep Beach I'm leaving for Texas then Mexico on Monday so I will be able to dial in my MPGs on the trip. I will be at jeep fest in August though.
Jeep Gladiator The last Gladiator Tailgate Badge You Will Ever Need! 16186620036646743002265169848185