RSI Smartcap

RayWings

First Name
Chun Yuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota Sienna
The Roller Rack (which you referred to as the commercial version) has 7 load bars, and the Platform Rack has 5 load bars. On both racks they are spaced 202 mm or 7.95 in. apart.
@RSI North America Inc What is the width and height of the load bars? Would you please post more detail images of the load bars?

RayWings

First Name
Chun Yuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota Sienna
I had to take the topper off for some warranty work and was not looking forward to holding spacers in place while I was putting it back on. I was also not happy with the dented top rail although most of it popped out in the sun. I wanted to find some way to distribute the weight better on those plastic top rails. I went to tractor supply and bought 1/2" stall mat for $27. I cut it into the correct size strips and installed it on the topper. that is 1" on the front and 1 1/2" on the sides. I used silicone to hold it in place so i can peel it off if I'm not happy with it.
I did use the red hardware store rubber material on the door end to give it an extra 1/8 inch of clearance.
By far the easiest way to cut this stuff is with the carpet knife and a straight edge.
BTW anyone in the Bass Lake/Yosemite area can have the rest of the this material if they want to pick it up before the next trash day.
This stuff stinks when you first pick it up but a day in the sun did wonders on airing it out.
PXL_20210721_165953271.MP.jpg
PXL_20210722_173737536.jpg

PXL_20210722_210406233.jpg
PXL_20210722_210401952.jpg
Thanks for sharing this. I was wondering if I can use the flat aluminum bars to spread the pressure more evenly.

According to the information in previous posts:
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 11.04.33 AM

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Adding a Pad By Tailgate

Here is what I want to do:
Prepare some aluminum bars (H: 8mm, W: 38mm, L: 300mm), combine with H:3mm W:40mm rubber trim to replace those 10mm rubber pads, should be able to improve the bedrail cap problem.
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Screenshot 2021-08-15 155527
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Screenshot 2021-08-15 155729

sgumedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Got mine installed Friday, ordered it 2 days prior! Called a camper shell shop in the Los Angeles area, they called their distributor to ask for lead time and before they delivered it to the shop the next day. And it was installed on the following day. Lucky me considering lead times.

Anyway load bars were back ordered for month so I built something around T framing extrusion. I went with 48" of 40x80 mm profile (which also uses M8 which is the same size the weld nuts used in the smartcap rails), everything is mounted using 40x40 mm L-brackets and terminated with plastic end caps.

I'll be installing a Trustmade roof top tent which is longer than the bed and will slightly overhang above the cab. I wanted the everything as low profile as possible which is why I went with 40 mm profile as it will make the RTT sit real close to the top of the cab.

Attached a few pics in case it helps anyone

This looks amazing! I like it better than the RSI bars I have. Can you share the links for the parts you used? How is it holding up?

Sponsored

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Got mine installed Friday, ordered it 2 days prior! Called a camper shell shop in the Los Angeles area, they called their distributor to ask for lead time and before they delivered it to the shop the next day. And it was installed on the following day. Lucky me considering lead times.

Anyway load bars were back ordered for month so I built something around T framing extrusion. I went with 48" of 40x80 mm profile (which also uses M8 which is the same size the weld nuts used in the smartcap rails), everything is mounted using 40x40 mm L-brackets and terminated with plastic end caps.

I'll be installing a Trustmade roof top tent which is longer than the bed and will slightly overhang above the cab. I wanted the everything as low profile as possible which is why I went with 40 mm profile as it will make the RTT sit real close to the top of the cab.

Attached a few pics in case it helps anyone

This solution is fantastic! I think the lower the profile, the better.

May I ask where you sourced the L-brackets and T-framing extrusion?

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
I am working on a factory order for a Gladiator and will also be getting an RSI Smartcap. For those with black hardtops, does the RSI cap seem to match pretty well? It's hard to tell from pictures. I am back and forth on ordering the black or color match top.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
It matches good enough, but it is a different black and is smooth not textured, as for the color match top, I like the black top with RSI or any cap that is black, when with color matched tops ones the black caps really look like an “add on” more so then with the black top if that makes any sense…..Jack

Last edited:

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
It matches good enough, but it is a fiffetent black and is smooth not textured, as for the color match top, I like the black top with RSI or any cap that is black, when with color matched tops ones the black caps really look lije an “add on” more so then with the black top if that makes any sense…..Jack
Your thinking is the same as mine. If close enough, the black top and cap make sense. If not, it can look more like an "add on" than with a color match top. The pictures of black/black look good to me.

Sponsored

zy1337

First Name
Zy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
This solution is fantastic! I think the lower the profile, the better.

May I ask where you sourced the L-brackets and T-framing extrusion?
I got everything from mcmaster. The profiles are standard metric 40mm dual’s. They had black anodize for both the rails and the L brackets. And black plastic caps.
You can find those cheaper than mcmaster for sure, I was just in a rush.

cheers

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Anyone have suggestions for how to bolt items to the molle panels inside the side doors? The molle on the doors don’t have holes drilled next to the molle hole like other truck molle panels so I was wondering what people do when bolting things to the panel. Specifically, what are you using as backing plates? I’d like to bolt some quick fists to the doors but am unsure what to use on the backside of the panel.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
@RSI North America Inc What is the width and height of the load bars? Would you please post more detail images of the load bars?
The Load Bar dimensions are:
Length = 53.15 in (1350 mm)
Width = 3.15 in (80 mm)
Height = 2.56 in (65 mm)
Total Height above roof (including mounting feet) = 3.15 in (80 mm)
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap smartCap-load-bars_1
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap smartCap-load-bars_2
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap smartCap-load-bars_3