Sponsored

GDE is back and making EPA compliant tune!

Phil3333

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram2500
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I have the Banks derringer but I'm going to sell it in favor of gde it is supposed to improve fuel economy
Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Beware of competitors who "Exceed axle limits" with their tunes and wreck your vehicle. Oh by the way our tune (GDE) will have more torque than what is specked for your axles but ours is safe because you can just control that with your foot.
My guess is that the GDE tune pushes the limits, but the competitor goes far beyond the axle specs. GDE did give an option to derate the tune if customer requests it.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that the GDE tune pushes the limits, but the competitor goes far beyond the axle specs. GDE did give an option to derate the tune if customer requests it.
Derate is for the whimps! Good to know though, I will make that call when I see the specs. I'm still leaning towards the MRTuning since that shuts off the EGR and I'm in FL where there are no yearly emissions tests. But I'm not sold on either so I really what to see what each has to offer.

GDE made some claims on what other "tunes" do but it's a generic statement point no blame, facts, or data towards any specific tune. I would love to hear some cold hard evidence and go to MRTuning and ask. I just want to make the best informed decision.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Based on the website I posted, 650ft/lb is the magic number that exceeds the rear axles maximum torque rating when in 2wd. I did not include the transfer case ratio into this calc.

Stock rear wheel torque calcs out at 5567 nm, axle is rated at 8200 nm.

So is GDE eluding to their tune is hitting in the ball park of 650 ft/lbs?

Simple answer is to look at other tunes claimed Ft/lbs, should give you a baseline.

I suspect the pinion gear is the weak point in the axle being smaller in diameter and using ball bearings instead of tapered now.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Based on the website I posted, 650ft/lb is the magic number that exceeds the rear axles maximum torque rating when in 2wd. I did not include the transfer case ratio into this calc.

Stock rear wheel torque calcs out at 5567 nm, axle is rated at 8200 nm.

So is GDE eluding to their tune is hitting in the ball park of 650 ft/lbs?

Simple answer is to look at other tunes claimed Ft/lbs, should give you a baseline.

I suspect the pinion gear is the weak point in the axle being smaller in diameter and using ball bearings instead of tapered now.
Maybe, but that seems super high. If I recall MRTuning is stating somewhere are 70ft/lbs tq at the wheel for gains. I'm talking to MRTuning now about all of this and getting some clarification from his side on GDEs claims. I think the important thing to remember here is all the tuners are going to bash the other tuners because it's their competition.
I'm a data guy so like I said, you have to ask for cold hard facts with data to back it up. GDE does a great job with that but claims against competitors without those data points are just stupid opinions.

***Edit MRTuning says their new tune due out in the next 1-2 weeks where they ship you a flashed ECM without the need for you to first send yours in will be offered in two variations: 40whp with 70wtq or 50whp with 80wtq

Sponsored

Tacos

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon ECO Diesel
Occupation
Metal Pattern Maker
Where could a guy buy a new ecm if he were so inclined to?

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Where could a guy buy a new ecm if he were so inclined to?
Any mopar website for less than $300 (right now they all seem to be on sale for $200).
Mopar P/N 68256850AA

Last edited:

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Whoops, i put the the sale price same as normal price. I updated it. Side note, I wonder why all the PCMs are on sale for 100ish off. Are they about to come out with a newer AB model to replace the AA model?
The sale price is usually fairly lower than the MSRP price. Every part is like that, most dealers/sites are, too.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The sale price is usually fairly lower than the MSRP price. Every part is like that, most dealers/sites are, too.
I’m aware, but I have not seen them this cheap ever.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I have a few updates. I will put each update in a separate post for easier dissecting.

"GDE will launch the Gen3 49 state at first. CARB is changing the application/certification process, implementation next January. GDE will wait until that is all settled before applying" - Keith

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
"The fuel economy data is generated in the same manner as Stellantis did it when certifying with EPA. The following tests have to be run and then there is some averaging, contribution ratios, etc. in the EPA formula to arrive at the final fuel economy label. The tests GDE does are: FTP75, HWFEC, US06 and SC03. The ftp is more city cycle, highway fuel economy is around 40-60 mph, US06 is high speed and aggressive accelerations, SC03 is city driving with AC on, lab at 95 F with a large solar load. The factory results are available online through EPA. GDE outsources the testing to a cert lab in metro Detroit. It can be directly compared to factory." - Keith

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
"GDE modifies the combustion cycle, pilot1, pilot 2, main, post 1, post2 injections to optimize the burn for low CO2, this maximizes the fuel economy. The competitor tunes focus on power and turning off egr. There is no need to turn off the egr on the Gen3 engine. There is a high pressure egr loop and a low pressure egr loop. GDE is using the low pressure egr 99% of the time. This pulls egr from after the dpf and there is no soot in it. In this manner, the vehicle can be clean and fuel efficient along with a solid jump in performance when needed." - Keith

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
"When GDE releases, it will be a bench flash ecm/pcm tune and a handheld PG3 OBD tool for the trans. The goal will be to have the flash tool tuning the engine in the future. The ecm will need to be hipped in to tune. It will mean a day or two of downtime." - Keith
Sponsored