First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
No because your driveshaft is still spinning faster.
If you go bigger tires then your driveshaft is turning slower at a given speed but if you up the gear ratio then that will bring the driveshaft revolutions back up at a given speed.
Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
One would think they could make an adjustment in the tune for your tire size ?? On my zr2 I had a tune from duramax tuner and they requested tire size and any other mods you have to be listed. So they could correct for it

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
One would think they could make an adjustment in the tune for your tire size ?? On my zr2 I had a tune from duramax tuner and they requested tire size and any other mods you have to be listed. So they could correct for it
They probably can but if you read between the lines, then that is a different tune and as such would need new EPA certs. One offs with essentially unlimited combinations of tires and gears and have these tested and approved to EPA standards and certified makes this all very cost prohibitive. And you know the EPA will want testing done for each and every variation.

Not to say in a few years there is more market competition and grey markets that can't meet this challenge. Just right now there are just a few players in the market and things are still being worked out it seems.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Most of the operating systems allow you to set the configuration in the body control module and all the speeds are right and everything works, but there are some OSs out there that will not do this correctly and it throws everything off. So sticking to factory offered sizes is pretty smart

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
GDE is protecting their ass. Being nailed to a wall once is enough. Second time around is even worse. All of the diesel tuners in the US is in the same boat now. You might find someone willing to take a chance. Or someone outside the country.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel emissions elude me. The byproduct that comes out of the engine after running like that, is absolutely a biohazard to the nth degree.

Keith Diesel

Banned
Banned
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler ecodiesel
Occupation
Diesel Calibration Engineer
Diesel emissions elude me. The byproduct that comes out of the engine after running like that, is absolutely a biohazard to the nth degree.
Can you clarify this statement? What biohazard comes out after running like what?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you clarify this statement? What biohazard comes out after running like what?
Well depending on what emissions package you have wether it is T4i or T4F. You can have EGR, a DOC, DPF, and SCR, with urea dosing.

Depending on what part your working on those all hold up soot and byproduct in much larger quantities than T2 and T3 engines did.

The air charge cooler for the turbo gets all gummed up with exhaust gas cooling, along with all the air intake piping and intake manifold.

On T4i the engine has to go through a regen cycle to clean out the diesel particulate filter every so often, and the super fueling it does to heat up, dumps fuel and moisture into the oil making it pretty nasty stuff to deal with. Early engines you could not even use that fuel in an oil burner heater cause it would run away ignite. With the three catalyst on the exhaust if you run cold you get soot build up at the exhaust manifold like no ones business and forget if you have to remove any of it after it has been to work. The combination of soot, urea, and oil in the piping is an epic coating of wtf.

Last but not least are all the fuel, oil, urea filters and water seperators. A service with these alone leaves you with enough metal to make a kia and paper to write the manual.

At the end of the day there is no doubt tail pie emissions are reduced and in run time that probably is the most problematic. But with the older engines there was a day you could reuse most of that equipment indefinitely and a service might require and oil cartridge.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Did you by chance have a tazer or any other programmer stacked to update tire size? I know this isnt recommended, but what would happen?
I did, and they told me it wouldn't be an issue.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tazer is not a stacked programmer, it mearly changes and activates settings already present in the BCM. Same with Jscan and Alpha OBD.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Got it, so even using a Tazer didnt provide an improvement in shifting?
Right, and over on the Ram forum we had some owners there post videos of their Ram shift behavior below 20 MPH and it was the same way...trans tries to hold onto 1st forever then holds 2nd until nearly 3,000 RPM on a cold start when you first leave and pull out of the neighborhood in the morning. It's just ridiculous. The TC being locked up at these same low speeds compounds the issue.

To be fair, GDE did send me a revision to the trans shifting to try and by then I had moved on from the truck. Would have been interesting to see if the revision fixed the issue.

M390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Ecodiesel
Reading all this makes me glad I went with Banks…
Sponsored