Sponsored

GDE is back and making EPA compliant tune!

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
I sent in my ECU to GDE for the tune with engine brake and regen message. Will report back when I get her installed.
How many miles do you have so far?

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I sent in my ECU to GDE for the tune with engine brake and regen message. Will report back when I get her installed.
You will love it!

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
How many miles do you have so far?
10,500, 7 months old. I think this JTRD is going to be a looong term vehicle for me so getting the tune now to minimize the soot buildup and get a little better fuel mileage to me is a no brainer. I don't see any other vehicle anytime soon meeting my unique overland/off-road needs out West. Also go the second ECU for you know, "reasons".

I still have a Rivian R1S, Hummer EV, Silverado EV and Cybertruck reserved but, the Rivian doesn't have enough space and not enough off-road chops, Hummer EV is too big/heavy (over 9K lbs), Silverado/Cybertruck are going to be too large for most trails.

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport Diesel
but, the Rivian doesn't have enough space and not enough off-road chops,
I'm sorry but have you seen a single Rivian off-road review? With 4 individually-controlled motors and fantastic articulation afforded by moving the control arm mounting points far inboard of a normal truck/SUV it is considered exceptionally capable by many reviewers.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I'm sorry but have you seen a single Rivian off-road review? With 4 individually-controlled motors and fantastic articulation afforded by moving the control arm mounting points far inboard of a normal truck/SUV it is considered exceptionally capable by many reviewers.
who cares, this thread is about tuning a ecoD.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Woops, I guess I didn't read the part about after you get the ECU back from GDE, you have to then send them the read trans download file and wait to get it back before you can finish the install. Guess no truck this weekend. :lipssealed:

Just make sure you plan for that if you get the tune lol.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
GDE sent the trans file this afternoon and I got a chance to drive around, city, highway and some off-road.

The turbo lag is WAY reduced, throttle response is heightened. I really hated the stock turbo lag so this is a big win here. Truck definitely feels way quicker and quicker shifting up and down the range. Should help when I'm fully overland ladened and need to pass other vehicles etc.

Stuff like fuel economy I'll keep my eye on but probably not going to see much there with how much peppier the truck is.

The biggest reason I bought the tune was to minimize soot build-up, so obviously unable to really test that.

Still have to test out the exhaust brake feature and will wait to see if the regen message pops up when it's time.

During off-road, I tested some steep grades and it seems like the truck is able to idle up steeper inclines before the torque converter turbine stops.

Overall very satisfied.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Anyone else that has the tune think the "diesel engine" sound is louder than stock? Or am I just imagining that lol. Not that I mind, as I like the sound of diesel engines.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Anyone else that has the tune think the "diesel engine" sound is louder than stock? Or am I just imagining that lol. Not that I mind, as I like the sound of diesel engines.
Correct. GDE takes away the extra injection event that quiets down the engine. It's crazy to think that Ram/Jeep uses wasted fuel to quiet the engine. That's one way that GDE saves fuel, which ultimately puts money back in your pocket. If you keep the EcoDiesel long enough, the tune literally pays for itself in fuel savings.

Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Correct. GDE takes away the extra injection event that quiets down the engine. It's crazy to think that Ram/Jeep uses wasted fuel to quiet the engine. That's one way that GDE saves fuel, which ultimately puts money back in your pocket. If you keep the EcoDiesel long enough, the tune literally pays for itself in fuel savings.
Have you heard any rumbles of retrofits to fix this cp4 issue ?

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Have you heard any rumbles of retrofits to fix this cp4 issue ?
I was told it would be a revised CP4 and with no software updates.

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Better fuel economy is good but a louder EcoD is not something I'm excited about. Personally I'm not a fan of the sound, compared to other modern diesels it's not particularly sonorous; because I find the timbre kind of harsh I'd prefer it just be quiet. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Better fuel economy is good but a louder EcoD is not something I'm excited about. Personally I'm not a fan of the sound, compared to other modern diesels it's not particularly sonorous; because I find the timbre kind of harsh I'd prefer it just be quiet. 🤷‍♂️
Personally, I don't think the difference in noise is noticeable enough to bother you.

Sting-Gray Neutral Pres.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally, I don't think the difference in noise is noticeable enough to bother you.
Thanks for that reassurance! A 90s Ford 7.3 IDI diesel pulled up to the other side of the diesel pump I was at this week and reminded me how just how loud injector pop can get.
Sponsored