Sponsored

GDE is back and making EPA compliant tune!

terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Sales
For the record, PCM removal on these is a PITA. DON'T attempt unless you have patience and an assortment of tools.
If you try to take it out sideways, like the guy on youtube did. it is.

Sank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJR, 22 JTRD
Look on GDE website for instructions, the three bolts are pretty straighforward. If you look at it with your own eyes, it's pretty obvious.

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Most likely not, it does not make fiscal sense to spend $100,000 to certify for one state. Once bitten, twice shy.
Just throwing this out there, I donā€™t know if anybody has suggested this idea. What about a Go Fund Me or some other kickstarter type campaign to see if we can raise the money to have Keith certify his tune for California. 5$ from 20000 ecodiesel owners? 20$ at 5000 ecodiesel ownersā€¦ Iā€™d pony up in a heartbeat.

Sponsored

KW80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd, 2021 JT Sport S Diesel
Just throwing this out there, I donā€™t know if anybody has suggested this idea. What about a Go Fund Me or some other kickstarter type campaign to see if we can raise the money to have Keith certify his tune for California. 5$ from 20000 ecodiesel owners? 20$ at 5000 ecodiesel ownersā€¦ Iā€™d pony up in a heartbeat.
Might want to post on the Wrangler and Ram sites as well, assuming it isnā€™t $100k per model. I doubt there are that many California Gladiator EcoDiesel owners on this site, much less a subset interested in buying a tune for $1,000+. Nothing against GDEā€™s product, but if the potential sales numbers were there they probably would have already pursued the opportunity.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
The thing is, I donā€™t know if he WANTS to do it. The way heā€™s discussed it in the past almost sounds like he doesnā€™t want to bother going through it. Especially considering, if I recall, they hit home hard the first time around (some bs).

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The thing is, I donā€™t know if he WANTS to do it. The way heā€™s discussed it in the past almost sounds like he doesnā€™t want to bother going through it. Especially considering, if I recall, they hit home hard the first time around (some bs).
GDE has been burned by the CARB before, so he doesn't want to go back through that door if they are going to be unfair and require him to pay $100,000 dollars just to get a certification that's already been approved with the EPA. He could spend a ton of money and still get denied for some technicality. California is a state that is banning the sale of all diesel and gasoline cars in the near future, so they have no interest in helping GDE expand his business.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
From what I've been reading up and watching some documentary stuff........The EPA kind of follows CARB's because guidelines they were too lazy to adopt their own. It's too bad the CA gov is next to impossible to deal with.........

I really feel the safe way is to get all of your tunes CARB cert so the feds won't be knocking on your door looking to out you in jail someday. Seems the popular consensus is that the peeps enforcing these laws don't really know/understand them well and just bust people on what "they think". They don't even know what some of the engine components look like?

The total number of units in CA might not seem all that high since it's only one state, but we purchase like 46% of the total vehicles nationwide? GDE might not even know there is intrest since I'm blocked from looking at ANY engine tuning from my IP location maybe? I can see trans tuning options......

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
From what I've been reading up and watching some documentary stuff........The EPA kind of follows CARB's because guidelines they were too lazy to adopt their own. It's too bad the CA gov is next to impossible to deal with.........

I really feel the safe way is to get all of your tunes CARB cert so the feds won't be knocking on your door looking to out you in jail someday. Seems the popular consensus is that the peeps enforcing these laws don't really know/understand them well and just bust people on what "they think". They don't even know what some of the engine components look like?

The total number of units in CA might not seem all that high since it's only one state, but we purchase like 46% of the total vehicles nationwide? GDE might not even know there is intrest since I'm blocked from looking at ANY engine tuning from my IP location maybe? I can see trans tuning options......
Blocked from any website that has engine tuning?

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Blocked from any website that has engine tuning?
Just on GDE's site so far that had seen, but I just went there and I can see everything I clicked on now. I figured they were being extra careful.

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
All valid points. I will patiently wait to see if GDE responds here. I think California owners of 3rd gen ED vehicles wouldnā€™t mind rallying for the money for the attempt. I might even dare say, we would relish an opportunity to show how frustrated we are. I just wanted to ask if anybody knew if someone had suggested that to GDE. If we(ED owners) remove the fiscal constraint from the equation would GDE be willing to try.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
All valid points. I will patiently wait to see if GDE responds here. I think California owners of 3rd gen ED vehicles wouldnā€™t mind rallying for the money for the attempt. I might even dare say, we would relish an opportunity to show how frustrated we are. I just wanted to ask if anybody knew if someone had suggested that to GDE. If we(ED owners) remove the fiscal constraint from the equation would GDE be willing to try.
Some guy named Keith on here may know :)

Keith Diesel

Banned
Banned
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler ecodiesel
Occupation
Diesel Calibration Engineer
Green Diesel Engineering has attempted 3 EO applications with CARB in the past. All passed the emission tests, but were rejected for test vehicle model year, tire configuration, chain of custody and some other BS reasons. We incurred a large bill, just attempting the process. Voting matters folks. The EPA is currently trying to put us out of business, so I doubt our products will ever be sold in CA.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
An individual would have better luck with CARB than a Business.
We had AEV install a HEMI in our ā€˜05 LJ. The process of passing smog was very involved. Not expensive just time and research.
We did this in ā€˜06/ā€˜07. Iā€™m sure the rules have changed.
The highlights of what I remember.
Told by most we would never pass smog, get a CARB #.
Learned that we needed a CARB Referee that understood ā€œAll of the rulesā€.
The biggest rule we broke was the Manufacturer Emissions Warranty. This is Federal not CARB.
The LJ with HEMI had to as clean or cleaner than the stock vehicle was with 4.0. It was cleaner.
The HEMI Emissions had to be factory matching the emissions the engine came out of (1500 Ram).
The only change we had to make to pass smog was a module. We had a 2500 Ram HEMI that needed to pass 1500 emissions.
The most important item was finding the CARB referee. We did this by talking to custom speed shops.
We understood from AEV that some owners gave up trying to pass smog while others took the time and research to get a CARB #. AEV never offered any direct assistance in regard to CARB certification other than the engine swap meets all factory emissions specs.

Side note. We would have never purchased the LJ had we known that Jeep derated the 4.0 so much. We built the LJ the same as our ā€˜00 TJ (before Hemi). The LJ was a complete turd in comparison to the TJ.
This is why we skipped the whole JK model.
Sponsored