Sponsored

GDE is back and making EPA compliant tune!

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So, who here is 100% certain you're ordering when it's available? Are you going to try and get a cloned ECU?
Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I'm on the fence. I might be trading in my Gladiator for a JLU that we ordered for my girlfriend if I can get a good return. Don't really need it as she has a paid-off Subaru Forester and I've got a '91 Jeep Comanche waiting to be restored and driven.

But if I don't, I might go for it. Not sure about going the route of the cloned ECU, not really sure how that would go/work.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
So, who here is 100% certain you're ordering when it's available? Are you going to try and get a cloned ECU?
Im 100% in for the GDE tune, and I’ll likely send them a new ECU for programming. We can get the ECU for $250 bucks, sort of a no brainer … I’m really curious how these axles will take the power.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was looking back through messages I had sent him about the tuning earlier this year. I see one where he said "No spare ECU. The customer will have to mail in the stock ECU for unlock and bench flash."

I have sent another message to him to get clarification on this. If a spare ECU is not an option, and there is no hand held flash tool, then I'm out. I don't want to spend that much $$$ and then take a chance on having it over-written during a service visit at the dealership.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OK so I got confirmation that cloned ECUs and blank ECUs will NOT be accepted at this time. So you'll have to mail your stock ECU to them. That's the only way.

*Jeep calls it a "Powertrain Control Module" so from here on out I'll refer to it as the PCM. And, the Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler, and Jeep Gladiator all use the same PCM for the diesel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I don't want to spend that much $$$ and then take a chance on having it over-written during a service visit at the dealership.
You and I frequent the same facebook groups. Did you see where someone put a lockout tag on their OBD port for that reason?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You and I frequent the same facebook groups. Did you see where someone put a lockout tag on their OBD port for that reason?
I didn't see that.

What is it? How does it work? Where do you get them? How does the dealership feel about it when it becomes obvious that you're tuned? So many questions....

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
What is it? How does it work? Where do you get them?
There are several on the market. Here's an example of one:

71auA5L54SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
OK so I got confirmation that cloned ECUs and blank ECUs will NOT be accepted at this time. So you'll have to mail your stock ECU to them. That's the only way.

*Jeep calls it a "Powertrain Control Module" so from here on out I'll refer to it as the PCM. And, the Ram 1500, Jeep Wrangler, and Jeep Gladiator all use the same PCM for the diesel.
I do not understand the difference, they may have been making the point that the PCM/ECU needs to be programmed by the dealer BEFORE they flash it... If not, buy a spare ECU, have the dealer flash the VIN and install it, then send GDE the old one...

Also, I was under the impression once GDE does their thing, the ECU can be programmed VIA handheld...

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I do not understand the difference, they may have been making the point that the PCM/ECU needs to be programmed by the dealer BEFORE they flash it... If not, buy a spare ECU, have the dealer flash the VIN and install it, then send GDE the old one...

Also, I was under the impression once GDE does their thing, the ECU can be programmed VIA handheld...
Yeah I don't get it either. But they specifically said "clone" and "blank" PCMs so I assume he understood what I was asking.

In any case, I've been thinking about it and I may still get a PCM and have it cloned and then just send GDE the one out of my truck. So it's the "stock" PCM and shouldn't matter, and I'll still have a spare. 6 of one, half dozen of another.....

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A little more clarification from GDE this morning: "There is learned data in the stock ECM. Keep the cloned ECM to use as your stock one."

So he does, in fact, need the stock original PCM out of the truck to do the tuning. Why, I still don't know. But it is what it is....

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
"Green Diesel Engineering is looking for Gen 3 tuning early adopters. You must be located in SE Michigan and able to drive to GDE to apply the tuning. The process will take about an hour, GDE is in Commerce Township. Call 248-977-9531 or send an email to [email protected]"

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I decided to give it a whirl. YOLO, right?

I bought a PCM tonight. I have a friend with a shop locally who says he can clone it for me and test it in my truck to make sure all is well. I'll get that done next week, then send a PCM off to GDE for tuning. This ought to be interesting....