Sponsored

What did you WINCH with your Gladiator today?

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Yikes....glad no one was hurt.
Also, nice wheels, and I’m jealous of anyone with palm trees in their backyard 🙂
Thank you. That's the front yard.

We have citrus, Hibiscus, and Bird of Paradise in the back yard. Don't be too jealous though:

We only got 12" of sun yesterday...
Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Plumba
I spent a lot of years as a towing and recovery operator, and you definitely do your best with what you have at your disposal.
A buddy of mine was a towing and recovery operator on Alligator Alley in the late 80s when it was 2 lanes through the Everglades for 60 miles and a canal on each side.

Some of the horror stories he told...

FshnRdnJpnAB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon. 2005 TJ Rubicon.
A buddy of mine was a towing and recovery operator on Alligator Alley in the late 80s when it was 2 lanes through the Everglades for 60 miles and a canal on each side.

Some of the horror stories he told...
It is an extremely interesting line of work, but the ever present human tragedy element is difficult at times.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It is an extremely interesting line of work, but the ever present human tragedy element is difficult at times.
I worked several years in a business that did 24/7/365 towing for the state patrol and local police.
Yes, I agree - it's the human factor. When you impound a van for the state - was found abandoned along I80, and a few days later, well, I'm glad I wasn't working that day.

Sponsored

FshnRdnJpnAB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon. 2005 TJ Rubicon.
I worked several years in a business that did 24/7/365 towing for the state patrol and local police.
Yes, I agree - it's the human factor. When you impound a van for the state - was found abandoned along I80, and a few days later, well, I'm glad I wasn't working that day.
Yup, towing for law enforcement can definitely add an emotionally tough element to the job. I’ve got a ton of stories, that’s for sure.

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
Also, I know I should have attached to the low side in the first picture but the muffler was in the way.
I'm always trying to learn more about recovery techniques. Would the low side have been preferred just to get the ass end out of the ditch?

Florida Mojave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2018 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Plumba
Not literally today, but a couple of weeks ago I was able to help a nice family that was stuck near the Columbia Icefields between Jasper and Banff.
I put my front wheels on rolled up sections of chain so I had some grip on the icy road, and used a snatch block.

A4CE1913-B68B-464A-8E91-6FE9BB65F210.jpeg

0A2D3379-DE99-4E4A-84D4-A57764904F8D.jpeg
You go with your double-line pull!
Surprised we don't see more of this.
I've committed to only doing double and triple line pulls with remote anchor points where possible for all but the lightest recoveries.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I watch that dude all the time. I was just curious why you would have preferred it.
My kids make me google “Jeep Recovery Lizzy” They love the Matt’s recovery videos, but refuse to watch the ones without Lizzy.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I’m finishing up lunch and will head down to the Ocala NF to see what needs to be cut, pulled or winched from the trail.

EDIT:
Well, no winching. Cleared 2 trees from trail and hand trucked…. I’ll say a lot of the high clearance trails off of the make roads had tree blockage, but the trails are so over grown (50” SxS would get pin striping on both sides) so I just left them.

***The Forest service really needs to step up their game or the only users of the trails will be the ones that pitch their cans, 12-pack boxes and general household garbage.

Last edited: