Sponsored

“Cruise control cancelled” every 2 minutes while trying to use cruise control now

Zaptrac

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
This is something that just started happening starting today. Anytime i try to use cruise control, after a few minutes it switches off, i get a message on the dash that says “cruise control cancelled” and an amber cruise control light shows up on the dash, stays for a few seconds, then turns off. It doesn’t matter how fast i’m going, had it happen at 65, 45, and while stopped with the cruise control still on. I’ve tried reading any possible codes with an obd reader but it doesn’t detect any new or old codes in the computer. Anyone have any ideas of what i should try checking? I had the main battery replaced last September, but haven’t replaced the aux battery yet. I’m gonna try bypassing that and seeing if the issue goes away. No my truck doesn’t have adaptive cruise control, it’s a very basic willys sport with the most basic cruise control. So i don’t think it’s any issues with any sensors related to detecting other cars. Attaching a very blurry photo of what pops up on the dash since it was hard to get a clear one because the timing is random when it happens and only shows up briefly
Jeep Gladiator “Cruise control cancelled” every 2 minutes while trying to use cruise control now IMG_1555
Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Maybe a brake sensor switch is loose thinking you are depressing the brake pedal?🤷

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
What is the age and mileage?

Any modifications?

Any recent service work?

Anything spilled on the steering wheel buttons?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the ACC/FCW on my 2020 Overland. Whenever someone would cut in front of me and set off the FCW, it would disable the ACC, and regular cruise control. It always reset with the next startup.

OP
OP

Zaptrac

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
What is the age and mileage?

Any modifications?

Any recent service work?

Anything spilled on the steering wheel buttons?
2021, 50k miles. It has the mopar 2 inch lift since 2022 which hasn’t caused any issues before. No service work besides body work to the passenger side of the bed. Nothing spilled on the steering wheel but a few months ago the buttons on the left side did flicker for a few minutes

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zaptrac

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I had the ACC/FCW on my 2020 Overland. Whenever someone would cut in front of me and set off the FCW, it would disable the ACC, and regular cruise control. It always reset with the next startup.
Yeah every similar issue i found was from people who had the ACC which mine doesn’t. Heard things as simple as aftermarket front plate mounts messing with the sensors. But mine doesn’t have ACC

JBerd81

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2021 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Welder/Steamfitter
This happens to me when I hit really gnarly patches of road that are unavailable seeing as how Iowa has some of the shittiest roads in the nation…

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
2021, 50k miles. It has the mopar 2 inch lift since 2022 which hasn’t caused any issues before. No service work besides body work to the passenger side of the bed. Nothing spilled on the steering wheel but a few months ago the buttons on the left side did flicker for a few minutes
My guess would be something in the steering column, possibly the wiring or the button panels. It could also just be a loose connection. Maybe you can get it covered under the power train warranty? Did you purchase an Extended Warranty? If not, maybe you can purchase one without having to get an inspection, and then wait a couple months to have it repaired.

OP
OP

Zaptrac

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My guess would be something in the steering column, possibly the wiring or the button panels. It could also just be a loose connection. Maybe you can get it covered under the power train warranty? Did you purchase an Extended Warranty? If not, maybe you can purchase one without having to get an inspection, and then wait a couple months to have it repaired.
After looking across multiple forums the only other person i found mention the same exact issue without having ACC was in a post on the JL forum about flickering steering wheel lights. So i’m going to start checking all the connections there. Don’t think power train would cover it. But yeah if i can’t find an issue after a while i might try to get an extended warranty since i don’t think they’ll find this issue even if they do an inspection

OP
OP

Zaptrac

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
This happens to me when I hit really gnarly patches of road that are unavailable seeing as how Iowa has some of the shittiest roads in the nation…
roads i were on weren’t that rough. But i’m thinking something in the steering is loose for the controls so that’s where i’m checking next

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Dash picture is fuzzy but if there is a "A" in the middle of that light symbol, that is the Start/Stop warning light and that system may be the root cause to troubleshoot first and the cruise canceling is a cascading failure of that.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Dash picture is fuzzy but if there is a "A" in the middle of that light symbol, that is the Start/Stop warning light and that system may be the root cause to troubleshoot first and the cruise canceling is a cascading failure of that.
Yea that looks like the stop/start "@!". When the aux battery starts going i've heard stories about all kinds of gremlins popping their heads out, with the single constant being electrical fuckery.

OP
OP

Zaptrac

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yea that looks like the stop/start "@!". When the aux battery starts going i've heard stories about all kinds of gremlins popping their heads out, with the single constant being electrical fuckery.
There was no A in the symbol. It was a speedometor symbol with an exclamation mark next to it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Is this ACC or normal cruise???
It matters, as normal cruise has zero sensors.
However, if it's ACC, that's another animal.
Canceled is as if the brake pedal was depressed or you hit cancel on the steering wheel.
Look those directions.
Has anything been apart where the steering wheel may have been turned with things disconnected, leading to clock spring issues?

And if that's the ESS light, yes, look for battery/voltage issues for sure.
The thing will go into self-preservation mode and kill non-essential things like cruise, ESS and so on to stay alive. But where that light is, and how it looks to me, that's not ESS related, it's cruise control by itself.

Technically speaking, you should have the camara/radar realigned after a lift or level. Even a lift can throw things off, and leveling even more-so.
There are specs used and if the measurement from frame to ground is outside of that spec, that number has to be plugged in and the system realigned.
If ACC and FCW act strange after a lift or level, don't blame jeep!
wo.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
There was no A in the symbol. It was a speedometor symbol with an exclamation mark next to it.
Ok, you are eyes on it, so I will defer to what you see.

Just the owners manual shows the Start/Stop warning light to not be enclosed on the bottom like your picture shows. May also be different since you have the base cluster.

Jeep Gladiator “Cruise control cancelled” every 2 minutes while trying to use cruise control now CruiseControl
Sponsored