10.5 vs. 12.5 wide tire

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Womdering if anyone has experience with both 35/10.5/17 AND 35/12.5/17?
I realize the popular thing is to go with 20” rims and as wide of a tire as possible, but I think I would prefer the slightly skinnier tire and the lighter weight/rotational inertia.

Just wondering if anyone can speak from experience?
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I've ran both sizes before and I prefer less rim more tire look. Your going to get more width on the 12.5 over the 10.5 and I have always liked the wider look of the 12.5 over the 10.5, I'm running a 12.4" wide tire now on mine and I also added 1.5" wheel spacers.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Personally never been a fan of putting 20's on a jeep wrangler or onna gladiator. Most I'd ever go would be 18's

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
12 wides are a dog. I don’t like the look either, but that’s secondary
By dog do you mean they affect your performance. I still get over 18.7mpgs average in my JT and can get 21mpg on long trips in my JT with Max Tow.

Sponsored

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
I think the OP is asking more about tire width than wheel size. I am curious, too - as I am leaning toward 10.5" wide 35" tires. But I think only one company makes that size (Kenda Klever).

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Interco super swampers are made in that size. I ran a used set on my old XJ back a few years back. Great tire for off roading, crappy tire for on road use and super loud on the road.

OP
OP

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Thank for the replies.

Yes Im just looking for feedback on the width of the tire.
I personally am drawn more towards the 10.5 but just wanted some feedback first..

If I had my choice Of rim size, I would run 15” rim, but thats just me.
With a hige sidewall like that, you dont have to air down as much and its suoer grippy off road.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
By dog do you mean they affect your performance. I still get over 18.7mpgs average in my JT and can get 21mpg on long trips in my JT with Max Tow.
Yes, they affect performance. Higher weight and larger footprint translates to less efficient. That isn’t nearly the only factor that comes into play, I.e. driving habits, intended use, gearing, etc... but tire v. tire 12s are less efficient.

On my JK it made a pretty big difference. I can only speak for my experience in that regard; on my Rubi JT it might not have as great an effect. But it then comes down to the aesthetic for me.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, they affect performance. Higher weight and larger footprint translates to less efficient. That isn’t nearly the only factor that comes into play, I.e. driving habits, intended use, gearing, etc... but tire v. tire 12s are less efficient.

On my JK it made a pretty big difference. I can only speak for my experience in that regard; on my Rubi JT it might not have as great an effect. But it then comes down to the aesthetic for me.
A JK and JT are two totally different animals. It all comes down to if you get the 3:73 gearing or if you get the 4.10 gears. It's also been documented on the site that the Max Tows do better as far as MPGs than the other models. Not sure why as compared to a Rubicon. The performance is affected when compared to stock size tires but your not going to see a huge difference from a 35 10.5 17 compared to a 35 12.5 17 or a 315 70 17. That's what mine has averaged on 315 70 17. It's normally between 18.7-19 and I got 21 on a trip to Virginia a few months back. The 18.7-19 is sitting like this
Jeep Gladiator 10.5 vs. 12.5 wide tire IMG_20200711_200050

Jeep Gladiator 10.5 vs. 12.5 wide tire IMG_20200611_194824

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
I have the 35 10.5 kendas and they are great tires especially for the price. But man do they throw rocks. I've always had 12.5 on all my jeeps but I'm liking the 10.5 a lot more. Lighter, quiter, better mud performance and will do better in the snow and less hydroplaning

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 35 10.5 kendas and they are great tires especially for the price. But man do they throw rocks. I've always had 12.5 on all my jeeps but I'm liking the 10.5 a lot more. Lighter, quiter, better mud performance and will do better in the snow and less hydroplaning
I'm not trying to start a argument by any means but your telling me a Kenda 10.5" tire sips mud better than a 12.5. I have had Geolander, Goodyear, and BFG over the years and either one of those three will seriously sling some mud, with Geolanders being the best I've ever ran for off-road use. As far as all around tire goes, I still gotta go with the BFGs, great in sand, snow, ice, rain, rocks and Mud, I have never hydroplaned running a set of them and that's driving the speed limit or better in some serious rain.

I'm not knocking the Kenda's, they probably are a good tire, but a wider tire and stance is going to give you a more stable ride on and off road.

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
I'm not trying to start a argument by any means but your telling me a Kenda 10.5" tire sips mud better than a 12.5. I have had Geolander, Goodyear, and BFG over the years and either one of those three will seriously sling some mud, with Geolanders being the best I've ever ran for off-road use. As far as all around tire goes, I still gotta go with the BFGs, great in sand, snow, ice, rain, rocks and Mud, I have never hydroplaned running a set of them and that's driving the speed limit or better in some serious rain.

I'm not knocking the Kenda's, they probably are a good tire, but a wider tire and stance is going to give you a more stable ride on and off road.
Not saying they're the end all tire for sure. I'm just saying in general I have better performance with 10.5 tires in mud, they seem to cut down and grab something solid better. I think the main advantage for wider tires is more real estate to grab rocks when rock crawling. I've had sidewall issues with the Ko2 in the past seem to be pretty thin. Anything Goodyear should not be part of a discussion :CWL: . Have never had a set of geolanders however. I had a set of 33 12.5 Dick cepeck mud terrains on my YJ (forget the model) and I nearly died at every puddle. But I have a set of 35 12.5 ridge grapplers on my cummins and love them. I feel skinnier tires go on these jeeps well.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Not saying they're the end all tire for sure. I'm just saying in general I have better performance with 10.5 tires in mud, they seem to cut down and grab something solid better. I think the main advantage for wider tires is more real estate to grab rocks when rock crawling. I've had sidewall issues with the Ko2 in the past seem to be pretty thin. Anything Goodyear should not be part of a discussion :CWL: . Have never had a set of geolanders however. I had a set of 33 12.5 Dick cepeck mud terrains on my YJ (forget the model) and I nearly died at every puddle. But I have a set of 35 12.5 ridge grapplers on my cummins and love them. I feel skinnier tires go on these jeeps well.
What were the BFG tire rated C,D, or E I've never ran anything under E rated tires on any Jeep I've ever owned and on my 4th set of BFGs and I have never had a sidewall issue. I have heard of the lower C And D rated ones having issues, but that's across the board in pretty much all tires

Also I found the Goodyear MTR mud tires with Kevlar to be a great tire off road, I would not particularly put them on a daily driver, but I ran a set on my XJ and they were great off road tires and you would behard pressed to tear a sidewall in those
Sponsored