morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
That pin isnt really designed to do that....

what needs to happen is to weld another tab to the axle so the pin goes through 2 holes..

Double shear vs single shear
I think since the factory bolt is using a single shear application, this pin should work decent as long as it's tight. I used the factory washer on both sides and spaced it so that it has no wiggle room like the factory sway bolt. It's held up fine for me so far.
Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Correct. it would have to be VERY tight.
Otherwise, it would start loosening up, and once that starts, it's downhill from there.

Looking at the application....what I would do...is keep the bottom mount stock, and change the link to a clevice type at the sway bar.
From there, you can use a pin like you have, or a pip pin - since it would be double shear at that point.
Only downside is that the links are attatched at the bottom and therefore need to be tied down somehow (a bungee or a zip tie) on the a arm to keep from flapping around.

as long as it's tight.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Why do you want that as a quick disconnect?

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
So you could disconnect the bar on a non Rubi when you go off road - and get the proper articulation.
Oh okay that makes sense.

Reactions: d k

Sponsored

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
Where are you connecting them when disconnected?

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
thats open for discussion...

the easy way would be to disconnect them from the A arm and tie them to the sway bar, but the smart way would be to disconnect them from the sway bar And find a way to keep them from lapping around while the A arm goes up and down.

Where are you connecting them when disconnected?

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
thats open for discussion...

the easy way would be to disconnect them from the A arm and tie them to the sway bar, but the smart way would be to disconnect them from the sway bar And find a way to keep them from lapping around while the A arm goes up and down.
I feel like you have come from independent front suspension world :) Your use of A arm usually refers to a control arm. If the disconnect is connected to a lower or upper control arm on a straight axle application, we've got a problem. lol. Most people with DIY will carry zip ties or a bungee, and tie the sway bar end link up to the sway bar itself, then push it up against the inner fender well above the frame. I've also on past jeeps taken the same bungee cord style, and held the entire sway bar and end links up against the upper coil perch.

For my application, I built some mounts that I mounted in the upper coil perch. My sway bar end links disconnect, and pivot 180* facing up and then attach to the aluminum mounts I fabbed with spare stock.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I feel like you have come from independent front suspension world :) Your use of A arm usually refers to a control arm. If the disconnect is connected to a lower or upper control arm on a straight axle application, we've got a problem. lol. Most people with DIY will carry zip ties or a bungee, and tie the sway bar end link up to the sway bar itself, then push it up against the inner fender well above the frame. I've also on past jeeps taken the same bungee cord style, and held the entire sway bar and end links up against the upper coil perch.

For my application, I built some mounts that I mounted in the upper coil perch. My sway bar end links disconnect, and pivot 180* facing up and then attach to the aluminum mounts I fabbed with spare stock.
@morejeepsthanicancount do you have any pictures of that?

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Here's how I used the clevis pin:

The day before I know I'm going off road, I switch the stock nuts/bolts with the pins.

At the trail I remove the pins. Before I head home I put them back in.

Finding level ground on trails is not easy sometimes so I have driven (slowly) to somewhere level where it is easier to put the pins back in. If perfectly level ground can not be found I can use a pry bar of some sort to move the sway bar enough to push the second pin in.

When I get home I replace the pins with the stock parts.

This way I don't wear them out or have to listen to them clank around when I'm on the road.

Brilliant Trick, Tewltalk(Brfertig)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, this isn't your YJ or my old TJ. The passenger side is double shear, it wont wobble, ever. Double shear is when the bolt or pin is supported by two points of the bolt. The driver side is being swapped out with a quick disconnect stud from rubicon express. So the orange justice quick disco 2.0 will be coming when I get the part. Still be better than a 200 dollar disco. Well because you made it yourself.

J13005.jpeg.jpg
Another location to get that (mounting pin) at is a tractor supply or farming supply store. A other option is to use a shock mounting bolt. I should have added that when I read this way back.

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I upgraded my quick discos with this now. Just a little update.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Here's my logic:

If you go off-road once a month or longer use the cheap disconnects as I described. If you are leasing the vehicle even more so.

If you go off road any more often than that, spend the money on the quick disconnect system of your choice.

YMMV.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Correct. it would have to be VERY tight.
Otherwise, it would start loosening up, and once that starts, it's downhill from there
Yep, I lost a bushing off of the sway bar link that must have wiggled free.
Sponsored