First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Keep in mind that the inverter output is NOT a true sine wave as you'll see at your house outlets.
Many meters will read an erroneous voltage when measuring the inverter output.

Kevin
Yes on this! Try a different meter and look for one that reads "true RMS" which will cost a bit more. I have not measured my JT inverter but its most certainly a modified square wave and that can drive some meters nuts. I will sometimes use an old analog meter for stuff like that.

When I get some time tomorrow I'll measure my JT inverter and post what I find with different meters.
Sponsored

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
For a 12 V fridge I would only power it with 12V. I'll check mine.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind that the inverter output is NOT a true sine wave as you'll see at your house outlets.
Many meters will read an erroneous voltage when measuring the inverter output.

Kevin
This is a great point and may be the issue entirely. I've got a good Fluke meter and I'll test it tonight. My wife took the Jeep to work today. Fingers crossed. Ha.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes on this! Try a different meter and look for one that reads "true RMS" which will cost a bit more. I have not measured my JT inverter but its most certainly a modified square wave and that can drive some meters nuts. I will sometimes use an old analog meter for stuff like that.

When I get some time tomorrow I'll measure my JT inverter and post what I find with different meters.
I tested my JT with a true RMS meter and with the engine running its 95.4 volts AC. A cheap Chinese plug in AC line monitor reads 91 volts under the same conditions. 95 volts will not do and it can damage some equipment similar to a brown out. I'm going to see what I can dig up to convince my dealer to correct this.

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
The plug is there for looks and possible phone chargers.

Sponsored

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
I thought anything +/-10% of nominal voltage was acceptable for residential AC power. I think that’s even part of the ANSI spec.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I thought anything +/-10% of nominal voltage was acceptable for residential AC power. I think that’s even part of the ANSI spec.
I think the American national standard is 120V +/- 5% which would be 114 to 126V.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
21 Mojave at idle.

Jeep Gladiator 115v inverter outlet low voltage PXL_20221205_044451256

Same meter on garage current.
Jeep Gladiator 115v inverter outlet low voltage PXL_20221205_044451256
With no load, be it at idle or higher RPM - it shouldn't matter as the truck's system voltage is still going to be whatever it is. The inverter voltage should be regulated regardless of the input side.
That's well under 100 volts - low, IMO. (and that's no load, I assume)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think the American national standard is 120V +/- 5% which would be 114 to 126V.
Yes, the nominal voltage is 120. People still say "110" because that's the old standard. And that's where "220" came from. Most still say "220" to this day.
But most don't seem to really freak until it's under 100. I recall having an electrician come into a business I was managing because people complained of the older computer screens "pulling in" on the sides at certain times - a sign of low voltage. They hooked up a recorder and found it dropped under 110 now and then but basically said "that's fine, not unusual".
If I recall, it was a problem with too much equipment on one of the circuits - the recorder was on over a weekend when no one was working.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
With no load, be it at idle or higher RPM - it shouldn't matter as the truck's system voltage is still going to be whatever it is. The inverter voltage should be regulated regardless of the input side.
That's well under 100 volts - low, IMO. (and that's no load, I assume)
No load. 10 foot extension cord to make it easier to get to.
I never planned on relying upon this outlet for anything anyway, but they should at least deliver the advertised voltage of 115.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No load. 10 foot extension cord to make it easier to get to.
I never planned on relying upon this outlet for anything anyway, but they should at least deliver the advertised voltage of 115.
10' cord won't give any voltage drop when you are only using a meter so we can assume that's what it is right at the outlet.
Not even 100 volts. Wow.
They have a problem with the inverter they chose.
Don't know who makes it, but the voltage should be regulated to that 115 up to the rated capacity assuming adequate supply to the input side. (and a running truck will be at 12.6 volts minimum even when the PCM decides to conserve energy by cutting alternator output. They aren't going to let it drop below that. )

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Try comparing it with a cheap Harbor Freight inverter.

Kevin

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
It sounds like there' s no real loss then in new trucks that are shipping with an "inverter delete". Maybe Jeep figured out there was a problem with them and they temporarily stopped adding them until they fix it.
Sponsored