Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They are a modified sine wave (MSW) or square wave inverter. This is common on cheaper inverters vs. a Pure Sine Wave on more expensive. This is why you get those low voltages using a non RMS multimeter because that leg drop lag on the square wave as it passed the 0V transition messes up the averaging of the cheaper non RMS meters.

https://wagan.com/blogs/news/invert...e-sine-wave-and-a-modified-sine-wave-inverter
Makes sense - they aren't about to put in a higher end inverter, especially for only 400 watts.

As far as expensive - I have a Liebert double conversion pure sine wave UPS for my wife's sewing and quilting equipment.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Makes sense - they aren't about to put in a higher end inverter, especially for only 400 watts.

As far as expensive - I have a Liebert double conversion pure sine wave UPS for my wife's sewing and quilting equipment.
That is why I think people are wasting their time who come on posting about wanting to install a factory inverter when theirs did not come with it. Never mind it is almost a impossibility financially and people are better off just installing a decent aftermarket inverter.

The Jeep one is fine for those small draw items but really is only good for like lap tops that is using a AC to DC converter and that converter is better able to put out a clean DC output.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I checked with a meter because my power station couldnā€™t charge (my jeep is 4 months old) first time trying. It does charge my cell phone. My power station displayed a low voltage error message which got me to check with a meter.
Funny thing is that my cigarette lighter on front console isnā€™t working either.
Take it to the dealer. Youā€™ve got a bad inverter very likely. You donā€™t need load to get good voltage. If youā€™re getting under 110, itā€™s not working properly. Mine charges my goal zero 1500 with no issues. I havenā€™t metered it, it will happily do so for you when I get a moment tonight.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Take it to the dealer. Youā€™ve got a bad inverter very likely. You donā€™t need load to get good voltage. If youā€™re getting under 110, itā€™s not working properly. Mine charges my goal zero 1500 with no issues. I havenā€™t metered it, it will happily do so for you when I get a moment tonight.
Just metered mine. 98v at initial vehicle start. After 1 minute running it went to 102v. After metering it, I agree with others. Cheap inverter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just metered mine. 98v at initial vehicle start. After 1 minute running it went to 102v. After metering it, I agree with others. Cheap inverter.
He needs to use a good meter, not go to the dealer.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
He needs to use a good meter, not go to the dealer.
Agreed. I changed my opinion after metering mine. And mine works as designed. I use it a lot.

OP
OP
BunkieJeeper75

BunkieJeeper75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
construction
Maybe I need to let the motor run awhile before trying to charge.
Iā€™ll try that

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I need to let the motor run awhile before trying to charge.
Iā€™ll try that
If the device youā€™re charging genuinely wants more than 400w input for charging, itā€™ll never work. These are 400w inverters.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. I changed my opinion after metering mine. And mine works as designed. I use it a lot.
I have a cheapie tire inflater that I found in Dad's garage years ago - along with a broken one, still in their boxes. Used parts from the worst one to fix the other and it actually works - although you'd be waiting a very long time to fill even a 33" tire, it's good enough for air bags and emergencies - and the silly thing actually runs from that outlet.
my grandson used the outlet for the fast charger for his phone so he could keep up with his crazy videos on his phone while they went up north to visit other relatives a few weeks ago. So it's fine for that.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of these that I bought at Home Depot. I plug the fridge into the 12v port when traveling, and plug it into the outlet so it charges when the engine is running. It charges from the factory inverter with no issues. If I would have had time to pick and order the one I wanted, I don't think it would charge since it would have a higher demand than this one.

1200 Peak Amp Automotive Jump Starter, Portable Power ā€“ 10W USB Port, 500W Inverter, 120 PSI Air Compressor https://a.co/d/16ahELT

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I just looked at a few power stations and a small unit had 120v 400watts required for charging and 25a for DC charging. Maybe your u it is too large for that 115vac outlet and maybe your cigarette lighter outlet fuse has blown.
I think the inverter is only rated @ 400w. Maybe that is the issue ?

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I think the inverter is only rated @ 400w. Maybe that is the issue ?
I think the OP's power station could consume up to 800w when charging via the ac plug. As I have stated, even cheap power stations require 400w to charge. They would push the limit of the OEM inverter.

The Op will need to look at adding a higher amperage DC outlet or a higher capacity inverter if he still wants to use ac.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think the OP's power station could consume up to 800w when charging via the ac plug. As I have stated, even cheap power stations require 400w to charge. They would push the limit of the OEM inverter.

The Op will need to look at adding a higher amperage DC outlet or a higher capacity inverter if he still wants to use ac.
For what itā€™s worth, I charge my goal zero 1500 power station from the Oem inverter all the time.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
For what itā€™s worth, I charge my goal zero 1500 power station from the Oem inverter all the time.
What is the power requirement of your power supply? 120w 230w or 600w? If you have the 600w power supply, you could run into problems with a 400w outlet.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
My fridge has a built in power supply. It could require 680 watts depending on the cooling requirements and current temp. I'd hate to find out that 680w is needed with a 400w inverter. I aborted the bed 115v idea for this reason. I now have a dedicated 12vdc line for the fridge. I don't even think about AC when camping for a few days. An external battery for the fridge helps and a stand alone deep cycle is all I need.
Sponsored