Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
You could sell a bag of ice to an Eskimo before you could sell a 2-door midsized pickup truck in the U.S. Mark Allen is exactly right. It sucks, but it's true. That ship has sailed.
And that's where it can be said, yes there are people who would buy a 2 door... but the number of people that would is not enough to justify the expense of tooling up a factory that can make them. I'm not familiar with the suggestion that the Rebel added a crew cab, but that's still a different market. The Gladiator is aimed DIRECTLY at lifestyle vehicle buyers, people with families who need the room, or friends they haul off to destinations. The 2 door is a work truck. The long bed is a work truck. The Gladiator is NOT a work truck.
Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
And that's where it can be said, yes there are people who would buy a 2 door... but the number of people that would is not enough to justify the expense of tooling up a factory that can make them. I'm not familiar with the suggestion that the Rebel added a crew cab, but that's still a different market. The Gladiator is aimed DIRECTLY at lifestyle vehicle buyers, people with families who need the room, or friends they haul off to destinations. The 2 door is a work truck. The long bed is a work truck. The Gladiator is NOT a work truck.
As much as I would love to see an extended cab version and see Jeep kill the midsize truck market, it doesn't make much business sense with incredibly low two door sales numbers. I loved my Comanche's but times have changed and that single cab/long bed design just doesn't translate to sales any longer. Jeep knows this and they did their market research as to whether it would be practical and financially responsible to do so and they determined it was not. In a perfect world, the Gladiator takes off and sells far beyond what Jeep anticipates and they decide its worthwhile to give us multiple configurations, but I do not believe this to be the case even if it does sell well. I personally do not have a need for a single cab truck since starting a family but there are those that want it and I think we can all sympathize with that desire. Hell, we have all been pining for a new Jeep truck forever and it is finally here proving they do listen. However, when the forum is bombarded in every thread with the same two door argument it gets a bit taxing. Just be happy they finally gave us a new Jeep truck and are back in the truck game!

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Ok. I did watch the video and I believe that there is no 2 door in the near future. Maybe by the time the salty Ohio roads (I live in the 419) eat my 4 door Glad There may be a 2 door.

I hold out hope for a long bed version but thats just me bringing a new horse to the ring to beat now that the 2 door horse is dead and berried.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
You guys really need find some new animation - this is about the tenth time I have seen this - this is beating a dead horse with beating a dead horse....

We'll see who ultimately is right. I agree that a true two door cab is a highly unlikely but that is not the case for an extended cab. Once again, look at the recent announcement for the 2019 Ranger. Ford builds extended cabs across their line of trucks - F150's, F250's, F350's, Raptors, and now Rangers. They sell more trucks than any other manufacturer - so why do they offer the extended cabs? I agree and am thankful Jeep finally decided to build a pickup truck again. I have written letters to jeep since 2005 when the Gladiator concept was first shown - AS AN EXTENDED CAB I might add. The hard part is over the assembly line for a Jeep truck exists, a specific, longer chassis has been engineered and built. There is no way Jeep limits themselves to just one vehicle in one configuration that is not their DNA - there will be many variations off this chassis and at least one of these will be an extended cab - I am certain of this.

Now I look forward to seeing some "new dead horse" animation to reply to this comment....

Sponsored

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Mark Allen head of Jeep design confirmed they will not be building a two door version. Skip forward to 3:40 for the conversation regarding a two door Gladiator and reasons why it won't come to market.

Letter's in the mail to Mark - urging for an extended cab. First letter of many I'll be writing...

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
You guys really need find some new animation - this is about the tenth time I have seen this - this is beating a dead horse with beating a dead horse....

We'll see who ultimately is right. I agree that a true two door cab is a highly unlikely but that is not the case for an extended cab. Once again, look at the recent announcement for the 2019 Ranger. Ford builds extended cabs across their line of trucks - F150's, F250's, F350's, Raptors, and now Rangers. They sell more trucks than any other manufacturer - so why do they offer the extended cabs? I agree and am thankful Jeep finally decided to build a pickup truck again. I have written letters to jeep since 2005 when the Gladiator concept was first shown - AS AN EXTENDED CAB I might add. The hard part is over the assembly line for a Jeep truck exists, a specific, longer chassis has been engineered and built. There is no way Jeep limits themselves to just one vehicle in one configuration that is not their DNA - there will be many variations off this chassis and at least one of these will be an extended cab - I am certain of this.

Now I look forward to seeing some "new dead horse" animation to reply to this comment....
No offense but you can be certain but Jeep has said definitively (on camera) that there will only be a 4 door Gladiator because to them it doesn't make since to do anything else. But at the same time you are right they are not going to limit them selves with the new chases they built. There will be an extended cab most likely on the chassis it will be called a Dakota and is suspected to be released for the 2022 model year (so available sometime in 2021). It will be built in Toledo like the Jeep and most likely have a longer bed option then 5ft which sounds like it's perfect for you.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I don't have a dog in this fight but I'd like to point out that virtually no manufacturer will tell you of their upcoming plans for variants. They want you to buy the vehicle that they've just debuted NOW!

As an example Ford said when they killed the Ranger back in 2011 that nobody wanted a midsize truck so you should (effectively) just shut up and buy a F-150. Obviously, they were very wrong and as a result are late to the party with what I consider a mediocre offering in the new Ranger ( yes, I've driven one). Once again they are saying that there will not be any other variant or engine choice but what you see NOW....However, Diesel Ranger Raptors have been seen in the US and I predict that they will come out in 2021 or so...

If you can live with a 5 ft. bed then buy this truck. If you can't and can wait a year or two there may be other choices for you...or buy a ZR2 Extended cab.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Once again, look at the recent announcement for the 2019 Ranger. Ford builds extended cabs across their line of trucks - F150's, F250's, F350's, Raptors,and now Rangers. They sell more trucks thanany other manufacturer - so why do they offer the extended cabs?
Maybe because Ford sold nearly 900,000 F Series pickups last year, so even if the take rate on standard/extended cabs was just 20%, that's still 180,000 trucks.

That's still a profitable line to produce, unlike 20,000 for the Gladiator at Jeep's projected total sales.

Furthermore, F250 and F350 are FAR more likely to be WORK trucks, where a standard or extended cab makes sense. And even the half tons are more likely to be used for work than any mid size, let alone one designed specifically for a different market like the Gladiator.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Yes, the concept was an extended cab. Maybe because it was likely based on the upcoming JKU frame? Meanwhile the Brute stretched the JKU frame and the JT has a unique frame, longer than the JLU.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
No offense but you can be certain but Jeep has said definitively (on camera) that there will only be a 4 door Gladiator because to them it doesn't make since to do anything else. But at the same time you are right they are not going to limit themselves with the new chases they built. There will be an extended cab most likely on the chassis it will be called a Dakota and is suspected to be released for the 2022 model year (so available sometime in 2021). It will be built in Toledo like the Jeep and most likely have a longer bed option then 5ft which sounds like it's perfect for you.
Exactly! Why would FCA come out with a vehicle that competes directly with the Dakota before it even comes out? That is just not what their vision of a Jeep Pickup is. No matter how much the people on this thread think Jeep should make work trucks for fleets FCA would rather make fewer active lifestyle trucks with higher margins to sell to richer people and leave the work trucks to RAM.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
If I knew the dakota was going to be offered with similar 4wd system hardware (4:1, lockers, solid axles, etc) and it was going to come with a bed that I could actually fit my fishing poles in I would happily wait for it.

Unfortunately, given the extra couple year delay they have slated for it I would almost bet they plan to IFS the front, drop all the 4wd goodies and still no offer a hemi. No 2005 dakota replacement for me yet :(