First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
i saw a bunch of Bronco’s testing in Colorado. They look cool kinda new defender-ish looking under the camo i hope they do well. Forces toyota and jeep to do better.
There lies a tremendous amount of untapped potential with Toyota. They need to bring back some type of four-door softop vehicle reminiscent of the FJ40.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I would agree. Years ago I had a Chev, Vega with the Cosworth 4 cyl. It was fast, and compared to the BMW's of the era very fast, however, it did not stand up well. There's only so much torque one can demand of a small block engine before the engine quits the team.
I had the same thoughts before I actually purchased my prior vehicle, a ‘16 F150. IMO Ford did an outstanding job with the engine and put quite a bit of thought into it for longevity. The 2.7 V6 puts out quite a lot of power in a tiny package and I found it to be a pleasure to drive in the truck. Mileage was great for being a full-size super crew cab with a 2” lift with the lifetime fuel average hovering around 20/21 (mixed use) when compared to my prior ‘08 F150 with the massive V8. Times have changed with most engines being manufactured...

I performed full synthetic oil changes every 5k and never had any issues with the power train. As always, The key to longevity is regular maintenance and quick repairs for any issues that arise. My father used to own a mechanic shop - you’d be surprised by how many people don’t perform regular maintenance and blame the auto manufacturer’s engineering when catastrophic failures happen that were easily preventable.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
OK Just had to add to this. Im a jeep guy but that 2.7 Ford Is better in every way than our 3.6. I would pay 10K up charge for that. Have driven one KIRK ? Have you looked at the interior pics ? OMG ? Jeep just crapped their pants. Also I have two ordered and no they are not canceled. And the guy who thinks Ford has a reliability problem. BS. The ambulance my daughter drives goes 5K without being turned off. Then. maintenance then 5K Only Ford diesels. Gladiator sold 40K last year and that's up. F150 sold 71K in November. Just saying keep in mind we are the JV girls team and they are the pros. Don't let the love of our Jeep cloud your mind. Yes I love mine. Ford offered me 3K to let them keep my (first day) ordered Bronco.
My wife is on the waiting list for the Bronco Outer Bank edition. The only change she will make is the add the 2.7 V6. My prior ’16 F150 had it and I found the engine to be quite reliable with a lot of pep.

The return of the bronco is good for everyone, Jeep/Toyota are getting lazy and didn’t see the need to innovate! Hopefully this forces their hands for the benefit of us all.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Neighbor had a deposit on a Bronco. They called him this week to return his deposit saying they wont be delivering Bronco’s until 2022.

<Snip>
So the Bronco pipe dream is extended another year. How are all the YouTubers abandoning their JT/JL Jeeps for ordered Bronco going to get needed new subscribers and likes?

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
So the Bronco pipe dream is extended another year. How are all the YouTubers abandoning their JT/JL Jeeps for ordered Bronco going to get needed new subscribers and likes?
Brad, the guy on TrailRecon bought a RAM Power Wagon. I think that was a good choice. I'm not a Power Wagon guy, but it opens up a whole new demographic of subscribers. And next year, if he does get a Bronco, that will open up yet another demographic.

Brad also said he looked into getting a V8 Wrangler, but got turned off by the dealers jacking up price 10 and 20K over MSRP. Imagine that.

Sponsored

Red-Paint

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2019 RS3
Occupation
Contractor
Look at the Bronco order numbers ! Where did all of buyers come from. New to this type of Truck ? Trading a Jeep, 4runner ect. ?? The number is huge !

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Look at the Bronco order numbers ! Where did all of buyers come from. New to this type of Truck ? Trading a Jeep, 4runner ect. ?? The number is huge !
I have a day 2 bronco order. My dealer has told me that he is converting reservations to orders at about a 15% pace as he goes through the list. Reservation holders have until March 19th to convert if they want a shot at a 21, otherwise they can defer to 22 delivery. He expects the Broncos to convet between 25 and 30%, which is slightly below Tesla, due to the low reservation amount, Covid, and delivery delays.

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Over the last year, I have learned to not trust numbers from anyone.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Broncos will start rolling out in June. Some people will get theirs until first quarter of 2022 depending on options and demand.

P.Lo

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
It's a strange obsession by some, that they are so concerned about what others are buying and driving. Does what someone else chooses to drive, validate your own choice? I like my JT simply because I like my JT. Enjoy what YOU have, and let others be happy for what they have.
Let the good times roll!!! 🖐

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Only good things come from Ford coming into the market. More competition is good. Jeep needs to get back to asking customers what they want in a vehicle instead of telling us what we want. The JL/JT are a great product; but Ford pulling focus groups of Wrangler owners with "What do you like and what would you change" was brilliant. Jeep hasn't listened to what customers have wanted or what bothered them in over a decade. Ford doing so will add pressure to Jeep.

Again, my hope is that it forced Jeep to tighten up a couple QC issues, and think more about the buyers. I hope it causes Toyota to bring the 4runner out of the fucking stone age or re-introduce a FJ.
Although the Rubicon model has been around since 2003, it was arguably a direct response to consumer demand. I recall a LOT of people asking for D44's and 4:1 t-case, and they finally came out with it. The JT is another example. I also hope they tighten up some QC issues. I for one got a new vehicle with a stuck VVT (P0300) that resulted in catalytic converter failure (P0420). Hopefully all is well now, but my wife keeps asking if there is any CEL..... ugh.

I agree Toyota has been sleeping for some time. That last FJ was a serious yawner IMHO.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The Broncos are already having issues with overheating with the drivetrain making them go into limp mode, it will be interesting to see how this translates with buyers.
Sponsored