Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
What was the issue?
Ended up being the injector pump catastrophically failed. Parts are out according to Jeep cares somewhere in December. :swear: :angry::time: So I've heard t a rental paid for by Jeep. At least it's a Gladiator. But a gasser. Not a fan of the gas 3.6 slug. Except that it's running and my Ecodiesel isn't.
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Hey OP, did you find a solution? I had the identical problem happen with mine while towing also. The the service throttle control message clears out after a few key cycles but the issue does return and I can only have about half power. There's also an engine code for charging system. It is not an overheating issue. I'm curious what anybody's solutions are.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I didn't get any codes, but was up in Colorado, headed to St. Mary's Glacier.

After driving a back way from Woodland Park up to St. Mary's, about 2 hours in to it, I exited the highway and came to a stop sign. The auto/start stop kicked in, vehicle shut off.
It was mine turn to go.
Left off the brake, engine starts right up, made my left turn on to the access road to get on I70 west.
Floored it, and couldn't get above 45mph. was NUTS.
I let off the accelerator completely, put on my hazards and slowed to about 5 mph.
Mashed it to the floor again and it took off like a rocket!
No issues and no lights.

Fast forward to the next day.
Ran Mosquito Pass from Leadville towards Fairplay.
Halfway down the back side, I SLOWLY go through water on the trail, it was below the rock rails.
Went slow enough water didn't splash any where and my rig didn't need any sort of car wash. Engine bay is spotless. (I know, boring! LOL)

5 minutes later, service Def Light goes on and stays on. No symptoms, no issues, no de-rate, nada.
She ran AWESOME the entire way back to the hotel in COSprings.
Next morning, no engine light and no issues. This was all this past Friday and Saturday.
Friday it went on. Saturday morning, it's off.

Today is Monday, light comes on after driving for 10 minutes. Idled at the fast food place, home by 12noon after having run for about 45 minutes total.

Four hours later, went outside, no check engine light, no issues, nada.

I'm headed to the dealer this evening to drop it off to have it checked out and I also need an oil change.

I'll update what they find.

PS Diesel is HANDS DOWN better than the gas.

My wife's new grand cherokee WK2 with the 3.6L couldn't keep up with me on the mountain passes. I'd pull away from her. She was angry and wants to trade her new WK2 for a diesel Wrangler. :)

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Update:

The wire harness that goes along the frame rail and the DEF pump was across a stud. Normal vibration and driving caused it to wear through the wire. This caused the code for the injector and service DEF. It is also the cause for my de-rate.

The wiring harness is being fixed and the jeep engineer has already put together a case so other dealers can help diagnose the problem if they run in to it.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Update:

The wire harness that goes along the frame rail and the DEF pump was across a stud. Normal vibration and driving caused it to wear through the wire. This caused the code for the injector and service DEF. It is also the cause for my de-rate.

The wiring harness is being fixed and the jeep engineer has already put together a case so other dealers can help diagnose the problem if they run in to it.
Maybe you could post the location so we can fix ours early?

Sponsored

wildwilly08

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I pick her up tomorrow evening. I'll ask the service advisor to point me to it and I'll snap a photo.
Any update? I'm stranded in Kansas with similar issues and this dealership in Colby won't look at it for two days. I'm stranded here on my own until then, I guess. FCW, ESC, Exhaust System, Cruise Control, Throttle Control warnings all came in while driving I70 with a trailer.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Any update? I'm stranded in Kansas with similar issues and this dealership in Colby won't look at it for two days. I'm stranded here on my own until then, I guess. FCW, ESC, Exhaust System, Cruise Control, Throttle Control warnings all came in while driving I70 with a trailer.
not yet. I had a dash rattle. The dealer has one tech that only does trim. He is doing that now. New eta on picking up is tomorrow.

if they want to collaborate, have them call mike at Huffines Jeep in Plano.

Rubiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I am in Colby as well. Exact same issue. Towing to Lawerence.

2kXJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ
All these diesel issue threads are really making me reconsider what truck I’ll order next year. Damn.

Sponsored

wildwilly08

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in Colby as well. Exact same issue. Towing to Lawerence.
Come to find out, the DPF won't go into a regeneration cycle (normally when it gets to 80% full) while pulling a trailer (prevents melting the trailer with 1200F exhaust). The DPF shouldn't fill up so quickly at freeway speeds, but maybe its because the engine was so new. Just needed to disconnect the trailer, allow the engine to do a regeneration cycle, and I was good to go and made it all the way to Virginia without any more problems.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Come to find out, the DPF won't go into a regeneration cycle (normally when it gets to 80% full) while pulling a trailer (prevents melting the trailer with 1200F exhaust). The DPF shouldn't fill up so quickly at freeway speeds, but maybe its because the engine was so new. Just needed to disconnect the trailer, allow the engine to do a regeneration cycle, and I was good to go and made it all the way to Virginia without any more problems.
Mine regened with the 3500# travel trailer behind it?

OP
OP

Cobblecrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I realized I did some updates on another thread I started, but I didn't copy that information to this thread.

The original issue was diagnosed (to a point) as being a buildup of particulates they only commonly see with high mileage, but the service writer guy said they found some information in their system about this possibly being from the vehicle being driven around at the original plant (low speeds). I read an article on the DPF - https://www.uti.edu/blog/diesel/diesel-particulate-filters - and this might be similar to what the service writer was referencing. However, there was something that happened a little while later which may have been an additional strain on the system.

Not long after the original issue, I was outside and noticed two small quarter sized drops of an oily substance on the driveway about where the fuel filter was located. A closer inspection revealed that same oily substance (diesel fuel) all over the filter housing protective cover and down the fuel tank. The filter housing and the drain lever were both tight so these were ruled out. I took it to the dealership, and they confirmed there was a crack (or defect) in the fuel filter housing. This was replaced, and I noticed a complete difference in the way the engine performed.

I'm wondering if the cooler temps when I first got the truck kept the housing issue from being, well, an "issue"... Under strain, and with the added heat, this allowed the defect/crack to manifest itself and brought too much air into the system. This would account for the slight fluctuations I sometimes felt and some of the hesitation (different from the way a diesel normally acts).

I have also found that the truck seems to run better - when towing - if I switch to manual transmission control when getting to the steeper grades in the mountains. Again, this may be allowing for the engine to [rev higher = more heat] and be directly related to the regeneration of the DPF others mentioned. I've found the sweet spot seems to be if I can keep the RPMs between 2000 and 2500. I'm getting better when it comes to the modern vehicle systems, but I have to still say my skills are rudimentary. I am certainly no diesel mechanic, so sometimes I'm just giving it my best guess, but I think if you find something that works stick with it...

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I had this same issue driving thru TX with 7k miles. The diesel particulate filter was 92% clogged. It apparently did not refenerate as it was supposed to. Every warning light came on, big warning on dash exhaust system failure take to dealership immediately. Went into limp mode. It's fixed but now I have big issues with derating with oil temps as high as 268 and I'm not towing. Took to Bullet Proof Diesel in Mesa, AZ today. Their engineers were under the hood, under the chassis taking measurements and pictures. The statement that stuck with me was that the JL and JT diesel was an engineers nightmare. Very little room for normal fixes unlike the 1500 Ram with the 3.0ED. They are going to come up with a plan and prototype a cooling solution and have .e back in about 30 days to install and see how it helps. Bullet Proof is much more than just a shop and most of their huge facility is devoted to R&D and manufacture of aftermarket solutions for diesel ailments. Hoping they have a solution that works for me and ultimately works for all of you too. I'll be posting updates on the derating thread on the forum.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Alright here is my story with a somewhat good end.

@ 0 miles ran great even cold starts 10 degrees

@3000 miles a cold start and slow ramp up to speed on my 35mph road felt like I had a tire out of balance.

@ 5000 miles - oil changed at dealership. Still ran rough on cold starts until it was at full temp.

@6500 miles - towing camper it had fault code "service throttle control" and derated to about 1/2 power. I would cycle the key and power came back but engine light remained for about 8 more key cycles. Derated with same error 3 more times within 100 miles despite me taking it easy and keeping the oil temp under 242 ish.

@7000 miles took it to the dealer and they did a forced regen and updated the ECU.
Cold start ran very smooth like new again.

Got OBD VeePeak and Fusion app with a RAM Ecodiesel setup to monitor regens.
@8500 mile took another 1000 mile trip with the camper (28ft, 5500lb loaded, lower 80s outside temp) and had no issues. I allowed the oil temp to go to 242 before backing off but most flat towing at 68mph was 238 engine oil temp. While towing it went through 1 exhaust regen when it got to 80% full. Dropped to 12% and slowly climbed back up to 100% when we got to our destination. I drove a few other trips without the camper to get it to regen and it would not despite going 55mph for over 30 minutes. DPF stayed at 100% for the entire return home, 2 tanks of fuel, and no issues or regen. 2 days later while cruising to work 45mph it did a regen again.

I also played around with the manual transmission mode and found no reduction in temperature or anything. I would run in multiple gears at multiple gears on flats with no change after 5 minutes. Even on hills the temps were very close. They numbers where moving and dynamic so I will say it was "my opinion" the transmission gear selection did not effect the engine oil temp. If anything while it held in 8th gear it may have been lower temps. This fuckery was all while towing as well.

It seems to me that there were some significant updates in the ECU after my 12/20 build date. I would suggest everyone ask the dealer for an update. The Veepeak / Fusion app was also a great combo tool to at least tell you if you are active regening. I am not confident that the DPF% readout is very accurate but its still info so I do like it. I was also able to watch the EGT temp to make sure I was not pushing it to hard. I tried to keep it under 1150 for any duration over 3 minutes.
Sponsored

Last edited: