Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
I was looking at the diesel for towing so the truck wouldn't be at redline every time I drive through a mountain pass. I'm assuming this thing will still outperform the v6 towing but them stating the max tow is less than the v6 is concerning? IDK, the torque numbers say otherwise so I'm left confused. I'm not looking to save money or soak in the smell of diesel at the pump, I just don't want to feel like a piston is going to fly out of my hood every time I am going up anything over 8% grade.
This^. Because towing w/ the 3.6 even with 4.88s through the Colorado rockies every other weekend during the summer would suck. Even a 3500lb camper would have the 3.6 struggling. My logic for the diesel was for the torque and not having to keep the rpms up high like you would on the 3.6 which gets old very quick on long trips.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 3.6 doesn't struggle with 6,300 lbs. behind it, so why would it struggle with a 3,500 lb. camper? My JT towed whatever I wanted fine, and got 12 MPG doing it.

Yes, my 3.0D does stay in higher gears while towing. That's just because the power band is lower and smaller on the diesel. But it returns the same MPG as the 3.6 and doesn't feel any differently at all in terms of handling.

My only point is there isn't a financial or practical reason to go diesel. Get one if you like the experience. But don't get one thinking you'll save money or it'll last longer, because it won't.

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
The 3.6 doesn't struggle with 6,300 lbs. behind it, so why would it struggle with a 3,500 lb. camper? My JT towed whatever I wanted fine, and got 12 MPG doing it.
It does though. I currently have a grand cherokee with the v6 which has 6800lb towing capacity. I have a 17ft travel trailer that is 4000lb dry, probably 5000lb loaded. Towing flat on highway going 110km/h it shifts between 4th and 5th with no wind. If you get a head wind, it doesn't leave 4th. Going up a mountain pass, doing 90km/h in the national parks, it will sit at 5000rpm+ in 3rd gear and still loses speed on some of the steeper sections until it shifts down to 2nd. It is unpleasant to say the least.

OP
OP

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel
2021 Jeep Gladiators can be ordered on Jeep.com now......Under capabilities, it mentions the ecodiesel with a tow capacity of up to 6,500lbs with a star......star says "see dealer for details".....figures, why can't Jeep tell us upfront what the limitations are based on? Why do we need to rely on a bunch of salesmen that want to market a bunch of add-ons to us to know what this machine can do?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
2021 Jeep Gladiators can be ordered on Jeep.com now......Under capabilities, it mentions the ecodiesel with a tow capacity of up to 6,500lbs with a star......star says "see dealer for details".....figures, why can't Jeep tell us upfront what the limitations are based on? Why do we need to rely on a bunch of salesmen that want to market a bunch of add-ons to us to know what this machine can do?

On the Build site, selecting info on the diesel option states "GVW Rating - 6,350 Pounds ", that's 100lbs more than the gas version. How much more does the engine weigh than the gas version? How much weight is different from the 19 vs 22gal fuel tank and DEF tank?

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
38" tires completely changes the game.

I'm talking stock condition. In the Ram application, we're already seeing significant differences in real world MPG between the 3.21 and 3.92 trucks. On the Gladiator it would be the same. 3.21 gears would net the Gladiator much better mileage, particularly on trips.

It has everything to do with it. On the Ram, selecting 3.21 gears automatically decreases towing capacity by over a ton. And, did you notice how the "Max Tow" package on the Gladiator included a deeper axle ratio as it's primary feature?

With the diesel, deeper gearing is to keep the towing respectable. But, since the JT has relatively low diesel towing figures to begin with, they would have lost nothing by doing 3.21 gears. However, they would have gained significant MPG. They really missed the boat on that.
The Ram with 3.21 gears and comparable size tires has a higher GCW than the JT with 3.73 gears. The limitation in GCW/tow rating is cooling.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
On the Build site, selecting info on the diesel option states "GVW Rating - 6,350 Pounds ", that's 100lbs more than the gas version. How much more does the engine weigh than the gas version? How much weight is different from the 19 vs 22gal fuel tank and DEF tank?
In a DT Ram, the ED weighs 375lb more than a Pentastar truck.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Hi Mr KIA
How did you find that on the Jeep site? I tried to build one and could not find where they stated the 6350? Thanks

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
It does though. I currently have a grand cherokee with the v6 which has 6800lb towing capacity. I have a 17ft travel trailer that is 4000lb dry, probably 5000lb loaded. Towing flat on highway going 110km/h it shifts between 4th and 5th with no wind. If you get a head wind, it doesn't leave 4th. Going up a mountain pass, doing 90km/h in the national parks, it will sit at 5000rpm+ in 3rd gear and still loses speed on some of the steeper sections until it shifts down to 2nd. It is unpleasant to say the least.
Yep. The GC w/ 3.6 absolutely sucks towing. Hence my comment above regarding towing a 3500lb trailer. I tow every other weekend here in CO and its miserable towing through the mountains (6k-12k feet). Like you said, it’ll drop down to 3rd and run 5k rpm and lose speed going up a pass and hover between 3&4 on most inclines. Granted it has 3.55gears but this is why I just mow take my ecoboost truck w/ 3.55 gears on 35” tires and run the same passes towing at 2100rpm in 8th gear.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Hi Mr KIA
How did you find that on the Jeep site? I tried to build one and could not find where they stated the 6350? Thanks
Really had to dig: If you go down to the options in the 2021 order guide, in the "group Detail" section, p23, you see the this-
EXJ 3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE W/ESS G3 E E E
• 19 GALLON FUEL TANK (NF1)
• 245/75R17 BSW A/T DUELER TIRES (TTH) - W/O 2TK OR 2TW
• 3.73 REAR AXLE RATIO (DME)
• ABS 4-WHEEL HD DISC BRAKES W/FRT FNC (BR1)
• ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE (DSA)
• 245/75R17 BSW A/T DUELER TIRES (TTH) - W/WAA
• AUX BATTERY (BC1)
• CHROME ECODIESEL BADGE (MW2)
• GRAY ECODIESEL BADGE (MZR)
• GVW RATING - 6350# (Z1C)
• GVW RATING - 6450# (Z1D)
• NON-LOCK FUEL CAP W/ DISCRIMINATOR (XJ4)
• SELECTIVE CATALYTIC REDUCTION (UREA) (XAL)
• STOP-START DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM (XHZ)
• AUX BATTERY (BC1)
• SUPPLEMENTAL HEATER (HDB)

So, looks like JTR D GVW is actually 6450.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yep. The GC w/ 3.6 absolutely sucks towing. Hence my comment above regarding towing a 3500lb trailer. I tow every other weekend here in CO and its miserable towing through the mountains (6k-12k feet). Like you said, it’ll drop down to 3rd and run 5k rpm and lose speed going up a pass and hover between 3&4 on most inclines. Granted it has 3.55gears but this is why I just mow take my ecoboost truck w/ 3.55 gears on 35” tires and run the same passes towing at 2100rpm in 8th gear.
Odd. I've towed with the Pentastar 3.6 in the JL and JT both....at over 6,000 lbs....up and down steep grades. Mine never behaved that way and I shot YouTube videos for evidence. In fact, the last time I towed heavy with the Gladiator it would use 8th gear quite often. Even on long 6% grades it would only downshift to 5th. The Grand Cherokee must have totally different axle gearing or engine tune....the Gladiator certainly doesn't suck at towing.

If you want to spend $4-6k more money for the diesel so that you can legally tow less weight and get identical MPG while doing it, more power to you. It's America. Do what you want. :) I've had direct towing experience with both engines in the last 12 months and I'm not sure the diesel is the best choice. I'm not saying I hate it. I'm just saying it's not necessarily the best choice when you put everything under consideration.

OP
OP

SalukiFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel
so.....my build sheet shows the same tire size as above but Jeep.com has a larger tire and rim size standard.....I hope my Overland ecodiesel doesn't come with those stupid street tires....better have at least a little off road tread to them

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
so.....my build sheet shows the same tire size as above but Jeep.com has a larger tire and rim size standard.....I hope my Overland ecodiesel doesn't come with those stupid street tires....better have at least a little off road tread to them
Website has been know to not be entirely accurate

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
Odd. I've towed with the Pentastar 3.6 in the JL and JT both....at over 6,000 lbs....up and down steep grades. Mine never behaved that way and I shot YouTube videos for evidence. In fact, the last time I towed heavy with the Gladiator it would use 8th gear quite often. Even on long 6% grades it would only downshift to 5th. The Grand Cherokee must have totally different axle gearing or engine tune....the Gladiator certainly doesn't suck at towing.

If you want to spend $4-6k more money for the diesel so that you can legally tow less weight and get identical MPG while doing it, more power to you. It's America. Do what you want. :) I've had direct towing experience with both engines in the last 12 months and I'm not sure the diesel is the best choice. I'm not saying I hate it. I'm just saying it's not necessarily the best choice when you put everything under consideration.
it depends whether what you're towing is a big heavy sail or just a heavy load that doesn't give you a ton of wind resistance. travel trailer is 8ft x 12ft sail. you could tow way more without engine struggling if you're towing a trailer that is 6ft x 2ft wind facing footprint (ie. open cargo trailer). you combine weight and the big sail and you're redlining every time you go up a hill. Forget gas mileage because you're burning about 40-50L/100km. to give you perspective, going 90km/h i average less than 20L/100, probably average 18L if there's no wind. If i go 110km/h, I'm more around 21/22 which is a 20% increase in gas. Step it up to 120km/h and you're lucky if you get 25L/100.
Sponsored