First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self employed
A little background.... Purchased 2022 Mojave in August 2022. Certified pre-owned with about 12,000 miles, one previous owner, never modded or taken offroad. Truck had been great until january 2023 when the engine suddenly shut off while traveling about 70mph down the freeway. Was able to get it over to shoulder before rolling to a stop but it would not start back up, just made a clicking noise when attempting to start and showed message " press brake and start button to start". Transmission was stuck in drive initially but finally shifted to park & Neutral. Attempted to jump and other normal troubleshooting before throwing in the towel and towing to dealership. Here's the notes / description from the service department at the Jeep dealership....

"1. Verified no power to Vehicle, found batteries needed to be jump started. Batteries failed GR8 test. Replaced both batteries & found no crank no start. When attempted to crank engine by hand, found engine crankshaft not rotating even after belt and starter removed. Vehicle pushed into repair bay, lifted and oil pan removed. Oil sample taken and performed main bearing inspection. Found high amount of metallic debris in engine oil. Cause: Spun bearing. 3rd main bearing spun, metallic debris in oil system leaking to crank shaft fracture, connecting rod separation, piston fractured, windage tray damage. Long block engine replacement required. Replaced all components involving oiling & pcv ventilation. Replaced all gaskets and seals when cleaning timing cover, valve covers, oil pan. Replaced pick-up tube and o-ring. Installed new long block engine, connected cooling system, A/C system, ABD EGR systems, cleared debris from cat converters, serviced fluids and charged A/C. Attempted to start & found started not energizing. Verified case ground & battery 12v supplied & verified PCM signal voltage present. Removed starter and bench tested to find no operation. Starter seized. Replaced starter & test drove verifying normal operation. Repairs complete. "

Got my truck back roughly 5 weeks after breakdown. Dealership provided rental the entire time at no cost and thankfully all repairs covered under warranty. Only explanation as to cause was "catastrophic parts failure". This is my first jeep so really hoping this was a fluke situation and hoping no other issues for a long while but a little nervous now to say the least. Truck has drivin great since getting it back. Hope no one else experiences this and it was just a fluke but time will tell. Interested to see if any other 2022's experience this problem between 12,000-25,000 miles.
Sponsored

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
This is not a common failure so I would chalk it up as a freak occurrence. If you want some added peace of mind, you can always send in used oil samples for analysis during the new motor break in period to get a heads up on any irregularities.

OP
OP
Mullen_az

Mullen_az

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self employed
This is not a common failure so I would chalk it up as a freak occurrence. If you want some added peace of mind, you can always send in used oil samples for analysis during the new motor break in period to get a heads up on any irregularities.
Good to know thank you! When is it advisable to do the first oil change on the new engine? its the 3.6 penstar. Dealer didn't give any instruction or detail about break-in and i've reached out to them but haven't heard back.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Good to know thank you! When is it advisable to do the first oil change on the new engine? its the 3.6 penstar. Dealer didn't give any instruction or detail about break-in and i've reached out to them but haven't heard back.
There isn't much to do for a break in on modern engines, I believe the owners manual has some guidelines about varying engine rpm & towing though. I changed my oil at 500 miles when the truck was new because I wanted to switch to a different oil type and there were almost no wear metals in the factory oil, so I don't think there's any real benefit to changing it right away. I would probably change it around 3-5k and then use a 6-8k interval after that. I'm sure you'll get all sorts of opinions on these service intervals though.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
IMO, any time someone has been into the engine, it is best to change the oil sooner rather than later. You just don't know how well they cleaned out all the components that they swapped over onto the long block (timing cover, valve covers, oil pan). If it were me, I'd change the oil & filter almost immediately, then 500 miles after that, then get back onto regular 5000 mile intervals.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Starter was seized huh? Batteries were dead, weird…. So what would happen if the starter engaged while driving, try to stop the motor dead and super high inrush current and kills batteries? ………Naw just an engine failure probably that just happened to take out starter when attempting to restart?…Jack

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That is a freak occurrence. Glad to see they stood up and took care of it under warranty. If not already done, I would suggest giving the engine bay top and bottom a visual once over to make sure they put all the little bits like the brackets and wire looms back into their appropriate places.

I agree with the other assessments to change the oil at 500 miles since it was a long block replacement.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Random series of failures all at once, but hey the dealer took care of it and got you back on the road.

Be certain, every single auto manufacture has failures. Up side, you have a brand new motor now.

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Had a 2013 GM 6.2L spin a bearing while under warranty. Swapped a new one in 3 days. It happens.

lots of debris in the filter when I changed mine at 2500 miles. Cut the filter open. Not hard to do. Been clean ever since. Just normal new engine wear in and circulation picking up pieces caught by filter.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Occupation
Land Tours Manager, Jeep Tour Guide
What you don't know is what occured during those first 12,000 miles at the hands of the first owner, OR, if at one of the oil changes an absent-minded tech maybe started it up with no oil in the crankcase. Whatever, glad they stepped up and got you a new engine.
Sponsored