Sponsored

2023 Chevy Colorado Is More Truck For Not Much More Money

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I like the looks of it, but it is still a Chevy when all said and done.

Being a late 2023 model when eventually built and released, it is probably going to be 12 months before being able to buy one off the lot at MSRP or lower. Dealers are going to do the usual adjusted market (ADM) bullshit for awhile, especially on the higher end more desirable models.
Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Loved my Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison diesel until it started getting error codes from the fuel system…. That scared the carp out of me and I traded it in for my wife’s car….

I thought that I would have it until the wheels fell off…

Waited 5 months without a truck… Funny, never been a truck guy, but got spoiled with the versatility of having a truck…. Had the new one been out, I would have gone that route but with a gas engine….

I even placed a deposit for a GMC Sierra AT4, V8 gas engine…. But after driving my brother’s full size truck for two weeks, while visiting him, I quickly realized that I do not like a full size truck…. It is not for me. So I canceled the order.

I am happy with my Gladiator…always wanted a Jeep…. But I have to say, had the new GMC Canyon AT4X or the Chevy Colorado ZR2 been out… I probably would driving one of those now…

But now that I have my Mojave…I hope that I can keep it for a long, long time…
This souns familiar to my experience with the diesel ZR2.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Tested the previous gen Colorado ZR2 back to back to back with the Ranger and Gladiator. It was…ok. Guess I wanted to get away from GM after having a Hummer H3 for 12 yrs. The transmission was brutal so hopefully it’s much smoother now in this current gen. I do like the new styling, however.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
For me the one attraction to some of the mid size options was the length was shorter by 6” and wheel base was slightly less. Wouldn’t trade the gladiator for one ( unless my circumstances changed ) but the length would make it easier to park in garages.

I want a full size but I don’t think I could live with it daily.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I wish the Gladiator had an engine with that kind of power

However these historically have weak tie rods and take massive amounts of lift to fit small tires

I'd still like to see something that could wheel at least at Tacoma level

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
For those that bought a truck that happens to be a jeep, the ZR2 is a decent alternative.

For those who bought a jeep that happens to be a truck, really no comparison here.

I take my gladiator's doors off every chance i get, and pop open my sunrider even more often than that.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I knew the '23 Colorado ZR2 was in the works, as a lifetime GM guy. But I wanted a topless and door less truck; like my days rolling in a M998 HMMV in Hawaii.

I'm happy with my decision. I still have my OG 2004 Chevy Colorado that's just waiting for an LS swap........already 5spd swapped it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A big turbo 4 with 310 hp and 430 ft-lbs of torque. Sign me up.

But the top and doors still don't come off. Just to put that in perspective that's

160!!! ft-lbs more torque than our gasser makes.

Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
The torque my diesel ZR2 had was really nice in the trails, the DSSV suspension was in my opinion much better than what my Mojave has. Sure the doors won't come off the new ZR2 but it will at least have a sunroof. I will be keeping an eye on how things go with them. That said for now there's nothing else on the market I can afford that would get me out of the Mojave.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
I knew the '23 Colorado ZR2 was in the works, as a lifetime GM guy. But I wanted a topless and door less truck; like my days rolling in a M998 HMMV in Hawaii.

I'm happy with my decision. I still have my OG 2004 Chevy Colorado that's just waiting for an LS swap........already 5spd swapped it.
When you do the LS swap maybe document the build in the Off topic section. I know I’d be interested.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
I like the looks of it, but it is still a Chevy when all said and done.

Being a late 2023 model when eventually built and released, it is probably going to be 12 months before being able to buy one off the lot at MSRP or lower. Dealers are going to do the usual adjusted market (ADM) bullshit for awhile, especially on the higher end more desirable models.
Exactly, dealers are going to ride the ADM bandwagon for a while I think. It will be interesting to see the demand this has when it launches. I’m also curious in hearing if they improved the old 8 speed trans. I know it had a fair bit of complaints. It’s also interesting how long Ford is taking to launch the new Ranger. I thought it would be out for the 23 year.
Sponsored