Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Is toyota using the ZF or a proprietary 8sp?
Only Toyota you will find a ZF in is the current Supra that is a shared build with BMW. Everything else they use is either in house or a Aisin derived transmission.
Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I find it insteresting that the big argument for the Gladiator over the Tacoma is the former's ability to rock crawl. That's such a small subset of a subset. Most people will barely run these vehicles on dirt. And so call "overlanders" and "offroaders" rarely ever truly rock crawl. If we were honest, the Tacoma makes a lot more sense than the Gladiator. As we all no, these trucks spends more time on the road anyway. So Tacomas will do just about everything that 99% of potential buyers want and do it better. You get more power, better intererior comforts, higher dependability (real or imagined) bigger screens ( we have peeps setting up ipads cause we dont have a big enough screen for navigation), and even option for a 6 ft bed. Hell, most people never ever take their doors and solid top off anyway. So that too is moot for most potential buyers. If I were to do it again now, it would be a very difficult decision. I'd probably lean toward the Jeep still, and it would be an emotional decision rather than a logical one.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I find it insteresting that the big argument for the Gladiator over the Tacoma is the former's ability to rock crawl. That's such a small subset of a subset. Most people will barely run these vehicles on dirt. And so call "overlanders" and "offroaders" rarely ever truly rock crawl. If we were honest, the Tacoma makes a lot more sense than the Gladiator. As we all no, these trucks spends more time on the road anyway. So Tacomas will do just about everything that 99% of potential buyers want and do it better. You get more power, better intererior comforts, higher dependability (real or imagined) bigger screens ( we have peeps setting up ipads cause we dont have a big enough screen for navigation), and even option for a 6 ft bed. Hell, most people never ever take their doors and solid top off anyway. So that too is moot for most potential buyers. If I were to do it again now, it would be a very difficult decision. I'd probably lean toward the Jeep still, and it would be an emotional decision rather than a logical one.
The same argument could be made that 99% of Tacoma owners would be served well in a Ford Maverick but where is the fun in that?

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
The same argument could be made that 99% of Tacoma owners would be served well in a Ford Maverick but where is the fun in that?
[/QUOTE
I would say a Tacoma is a lot more capable than a Maverick. At that point might as well compare everything to a prius for most people. The point is, a Tacoma will go anywhere you want, just don't do serious rock crawling. Which most people on here don't do.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I would say a Tacoma is a lot more capable than a Maverick. At that point might as well compare everything to a prius for most people. The point is, a Tacoma will go anywhere you want, just don't do serious rock crawling. Which most people on here don't do.
IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
It's been a few years since I have driven a Toyota hybrid but I did NOT enjoy the experience and I don't think anything has substantially changed

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I was thinking, I’m pretty certain I could hit the bumper of my JTR with a baseball bat and the bat would be worse for it. Looking at the new taco I’m guessing the bat wins.

Back in the day the Toyota was a top choice for technicals, but I’d say the gladiator would be easier to mount an AA gun on than the new taco.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I love a good hybrid in the Jeep. Gladiator. A good hybrid. No problem with tacomas that I had was the car seats in the back. There was so little space in the back seat. The gladiator has so much more.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking, I’m pretty certain I could hit the bumper of my JTR with a baseball bat and the bat would be worse for it. Looking at the new taco I’m guessing the bat wins.

Back in the day the Toyota was a top choice for technicals, but I’d say the gladiator would be easier to mount an AA gun on than the new taco.
i cant wait to start seeing old gladiators with a rando weapon mounted in the bed in some middle east news report 🤞

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I actually think the 8.4 is perfect, the on in the Taco is overkill. Again that is just my opinion, but it looks like it was an afterthought. I like how flush and integrated the 8.4 looks in my Gladdy.
Agreed, and I especially appreciate this:
Jeep Gladiator 2024 Tacoma - Here’s The New Competition! 🥊 Hybrid Model Added 🔋 16847102895176345829863070416460

One touch, no screen. More OEMs need to do this. I've driven a passel of rentals lately and on dark roads with no street lights it makes a huge difference.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, I'm broadly not a fan of screens in vehicles, the gladiator system is well done though. I appreciate that Jeep has hardened the system a bit in case it gets caught in a drizzle, it helps with dust too which I guess is part of not having a cd slot.
I still use the dials and buttons and knobs for most things - and when it was time to adjust things in the Grand Cherokees my wife had - I was like - ok, where's the buttons? I hated having to choose a menu to get to temperature settings.
For things where a screen is needed - I need the larger screen in part due to age (essential tremor in right hand) and vision problems that haven't gotten better with age. So bigger is better. My laptop is among the larger screens available at the time. Still the same thing otherwise - so the screen size isn't always about tech although Jeep people seem to equate a larger screen to more tech. No, it's an easier target and easier to see! Some day you, too, will get old and your eyes will be less than perfect and arthritis will take a toll, and you'll no longer be able to be a brain surgeon due to hand tremors.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I find it insteresting that the big argument for the Gladiator over the Tacoma is the former's ability to rock crawl. That's such a small subset of a subset. Most people will barely run these vehicles on dirt. And so call "overlanders" and "offroaders" rarely ever truly rock crawl.
That's what I've been trying to say here for months if not longer, ever time someone gripes about something not doing off road, or Jeep doing something that wasn't strictly for off-roading.
If it wasn't for the mainstream Jeep buyers, Jeep would be a memory like Nash, Hudson, AMC, Studebaker, Stanley and others. And rock crawlers are hardly mainstream.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I still use the dials and buttons and knobs for most things - and when it was time to adjust things in the Grand Cherokees my wife had - I was like - ok, where's the buttons? I hated having to choose a menu to get to temperature settings.
For things where a screen is needed - I need the larger screen in part due to age (essential tremor in right hand) and vision problems that haven't gotten better with age. So bigger is better. My laptop is among the larger screens available at the time. Still the same thing otherwise - so the screen size isn't always about tech although Jeep people seem to equate a larger screen to more tech. No, it's an easier target and easier to see! Some day you, too, will get old and your eyes will be less than perfect and arthritis will take a toll, and you'll no longer be able to be a brain surgeon due to hand tremors.
I should have considered that recalling my father in law has Parkinson's and these things are a real challenge for him. It's a good case for physical controls. In the Army I learned to do a lit of things by feel and memory for working in the dark should night vision fail or be inaccessible.

Touch screens could use a reference point. Touch typing for example, you have two reference keys and from there you fingers can find all of the others. It could be an interesting use case for haptic feedback.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I should have considered that recalling my father in law has Parkinson's and these things are a real challenge for him. It's a good case for physical controls. In the Army I learned to do a lit of things by feel and memory for working in the dark should night vision fail or be inaccessible.

Touch screens could use a reference point. Touch typing for example, you have two reference keys and from there you fingers can find all of the others. It could be an interesting use case for haptic feedback.
Try touching a touch screen "button" or "icon" in the case of Parkinson's, essential tremors or similar things - often I get a "double-tap" which means I have to start all over again. Don't get that with tactile feel buttons or knobs.

>> In the Army I learned to do a lit of things by feel and memory for working in the dark should night vision fail or be inaccessible. << I've got no military experience directly, however, there's a lot I learned to do exactly that way as a mechanic working on similar cars over and over. Where one guy would fumble reaching up behind the dash or cluster to connect or disconnect something, I could reach right to it and get 'er done quickly. You just can't always have the pleasure of seeing something directly, or maybe it's too dark, or too close (I'm far-sighted, so they say - LOL - I could argue that point these days).
Too bad my fingers are soo messed up from decades of use and injury, losing some of that.
Sponsored