Sponsored

24+ mpg after 6 weeks on the road

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Wind resistance increases exponentially above about 60.
Well, mathematically it increases exponentially at any speed. i.e., the wind resistance is proportional to the square of velocity.

But I know what you meant: the raw numbers become more noticeable above 60.

Last edited:

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I couldn't drive 60-65 much as I was about to get run over. Traveling at that speed on the freeway I was a sitting duck. Even the damned 18 wheelers were traveling 75-80 mph plus. I was just praying to stay out of the rocks they were kicking up and throwing everywhere.
You should be in the RIGHT lane, and doing the speed limit yes. I do 60 unless it's higher than that, then I only do the posted limit and stay on the right. People can go around me if they want at that point.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
You should be in the RIGHT lane, and doing the speed limit yes. I do 60 unless it's higher than that, then I only do the posted limit and stay on the right. People can go around me if they want at that point.
I have been on a few highways where it can be downright dangerous to drive the speed limit, just like BAT said. Like I-285 going around Atlanta. Some spots 8 lanes in one direction and everyone doing 85.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I have been on a few highways where it can be downright dangerous to drive the speed limit, just like BAT said. Like I-285 going around Atlanta. Some spots 8 lanes in one direction and everyone doing 85.
Indeed; the 401 near Toronto, ON is downright scary. Semis feel the speed limit is merely a suggestion, and when you are driving a loaded up JK that is incapable of going much over the speed limit, your drive can be a bit of a white-knuckler!

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I was in the right lane and its only 2 lanes so even the right hand lane doing 65 was hairy as hell. I know they can go around me but that still doesn't make it any better

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
If 80mph scares yall, don't come to Texas. 80 is slow here and you WILL get run off the road. 65mph is suicide, you're gonna get rear-ended. :) just sayin... even the cops run 90+. For reference, limit is 75mph going through downtown Dallas on US-75. And thats not even an interstate.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Well. Hit 5k miles today and my mileage hasnt improved. This is the only vehicle ive driven That wasnt up-armored that you could set the cruise control at 65 and watch your mileage plummet.

on mixed driving of highway and interstate ive maxed at 20.2 with 93. Interstate only at 65-75 is high 17’s low 18’s. I expected mileage to not be great but this is absurd. The sahara I rented in co got me 24.5 all mixed to include 4lo for the week.

as it sits, my mojave is getting 4-5mpg worse than my Ram 2500 did. It just doesnt have the power to turn mud terrain tires. Its always having to hunt 5,6,and 7 gear and comes out of 8th almost as soon as it drops into it. Any hill at all and its kicking down gears and mileage plummets to 10-14 depending on incline.

im on the fence as to whether or not trying to regear it or just dump it for something else. I like everything else about it, just needs more power. And im not about to dump 10-30k on a blower or a v8 conversion. Gearing down would probably help mileage, but it isnt cheap.

Last edited:

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Well. Hit 5k miles today and my mileage hasnt improved. This is the only vehicle ive driven That wasnt up-armored that you could set the cruise control at 65 and watch your mileage plummet.

on mixed driving of highway and interstate ive maxed at 20.2 with 93. Interstate only at 65-75 is high 17’s low 18’s. I expected mileage to not be great but this is absurd. The sahara I rented in co got me 24.5 all mixed to include 4lo for the week.

as it sits, my mojave is getting 4-5mpg worse than my Ram 2500 did. It just doesnt have the power to turn mud terrain tires. Its always having to hunt 5,6,and 7 gear and comes out of 8th almost as soon as it drops into it. Any hill at all and its kicking down gears and mileage plummets to 10-14 depending on incline.

im on the fence as to whether or not trying to regear it or just dump it for something else. I like everything else about it, just needs more power. And im not about to dump 10-30k on a blower or a v8 conversion. Gearing down would probably help mileage, but it isnt cheap.
I'm ok with the 3.6 in my truck its just the Sport S. But I never understood why they didn't at least for the Mojave or the Rubicon which I consider the upper models having a different engine like a V8. I mean it would be nice in mine but the 3.6 works well for me with what I do.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm ok with the 3.6 in my truck its just the Sport S. But I never understood why they didn't at least for the Mojave or the Rubicon which I consider the upper models having a different engine like a V8.
JT is based on Wrangler JL, which just got V8 (promised) in its 5th model year. Gladiator is only in the second model year.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Since the PCM flash mine has been lucky to hit high 18s. That's at least 4 or 5 under what it did before the flash.
I actually hit 18.4 today - whooopie! It should have been an easy 22 for the driving I've done lately.
It shifts a lot better, far less hunting, holds gears longer, etc. - but what a cost.
My 4.0 WJ actually does better now.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Since the PCM flash mine has been lucky to hit high 18s. That's at least 4 or 5 under what it did before the flash.
I actually hit 18.4 today - whooopie! It should have been an easy 22 for the driving I've done lately.
It shifts a lot better, far less hunting, holds gears longer, etc. - but what a cost.
My 4.0 WJ actually does better now.
What was the flash for?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What was the flash for?
I went to the dealership for my wave oil change and tire rotation.
They always plug in their dongle to the OBD port to read the vin check for stored codes, whatever, then the info about the vehicle pops up on their tablet.
A couple of seconds later, the system does a check and finds the VIN is on a list needing a PCM flash/update.
Apparently they are doing all JTs in a certain range to take care of the PCM issues causing misfires and other fun stuff a few folks are having.
Since they've changed the PCM code at least a couple of times to solve problems in the PCM that cause trouble for some - they are apparently updating all of them in a certain range, I assume to make sure other people don't have misfire issues, engine damage and what-not.
Makes sense - if the PCM code is a problem for some of these engines, and they literally found problems in the code resulting in EGR issues, valve control issues and some other stuff I've forgotten - it makes sense they won't let that same bad code exist in other JTs just to cause engine troubles down the road.

The shifting is a lot better, the transmission lets the engine run up where it should run RPM-wise and it downshifts earlier under load - it used to stay in a high gear until you really pushed on it, almost lugging it, now it drops back more than one gear and stays there longer. GOOD for loads and towing I assume, bad for mpg.
My hope is that it eventually "re-learns" as it did get better mpg once I hit 7,000 miles, so I wonder if I have to drive 5,000 more miles to get mpg back up a little.

It's more "gutsy" in how it shifts, more sport-like shifting, not "grandma's" shifting patterns.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
They always plug in their dongle to the OBD port to read the vin check for stored codes, whatever, then the info about the vehicle pops up on their tablet.
A couple of seconds later, the system does a check and finds the VIN is on a list needing a PCM flash/update.
Apparently they are doing all JTs in a certain range to take care of the PCM issues causing misfires and other fun stuff a few folks are having.
Geez, I sure hope they don't do that to me.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed the same thing since my 3rd dealership oil change, normally I lose 2-4 mpg for first tank of gas this time I lost 6+ MPG and still trying to work it back up to 23+ MPG but haven't in over 4 refuelings.
Sponsored