Sponsored

24+ mpg after 6 weeks on the road

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I usually drive at 60 or the posted speed limit if higher (yes I use the right lane and get passed lol). Our trucks seem to do alright up to about 60mph but above that mileage starts to tank, especially 70+. Add in ANY uneven road or an incline and it goes down a lot. If you want better mileage, usually going slower in our truck helps. Being a brick it sucks trying to be forced to go faster and faster, lots of resistance.
I agree. Around 55-60 seems the magic speed for good MPG. Also 1500-2000 seems the sweet spot for MPG. Manual trans.
Sponsored

Reactions: Len

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I agree. Around 55-60 seems the magic speed for good MPG. Also 1500-2000 seems the sweet spot for MPG. Manual trans.
The funny part is, this is my third Jeep and it gets the best gas mileage of any of them. Lol. I good with it!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The funny part is, this is my third Jeep and it gets the best gas mileage of any of them. Lol. I good with it!
Well, Gladiator is my first Jeep, and MPG was one big reason out of several why I took the plunge.

brog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I currently go to the dealership off VB blvd. I haven't had issues with the service department. They seem to be on top of things. The service manager is Vicki, she is very helpful, at least she has been with me.
That's Hall, I think. Thanks for the input.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That's Hall, I think. Thanks for the input.
Yes, that is correct. Make sure you deal with Vicki, no plug she just has always been very professional and honest.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If final drive ratio is inconsequential, then why does Jeep even offer the 3.73 ratio and why do the Overland series get better economy as a general rule, all else being equal?
And yes, I can change final ratio by determining what gear I'm in.
Engines running faster pull more fuel through. The power is wasted.
My truck with 3.73 ratio is doing the same work, but pulling less fuel through than one running higher RPM.
We've demonstrated that over and over in the classic car hobby where people swap differential gears and make no other changes, and talk about not only their ETs but fuel use as well.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
If final drive ratio is inconsequential, then why does Jeep even offer the 3.73 ratio and why do the Overland series get better economy as a general rule, all else being equal?
My truck with 3.73 ratio is doing the same work, but pulling less fuel through than one running higher RPM.
That's what I was thinking.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I just did a trip to South Louisiana so decided to play with the gas mileage. I have Sport S/Max Tow with Rubicon take off 33's and Rubicon take off Fox Shocks. Everything else stock. Currently I have about 4500 miles on the truck.
Was looking at different mpg I was getting a different speeds on the Highway. Just mostly flat road not much wind or traffic.
At 75 MPH I was getting about 17-18 mpg according to the readout. At 70 MPH It went up to around 19-20 MPG. Dropping to 65 MPH it was reading in at around 23 MPG. Finally I dropped it to 60 MPH for awhile and was reading around 24-25 MPG.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just did a trip to South Louisiana so decided to play with the gas mileage. I have Sport S/Max Tow with Rubicon take off 33's and Rubicon take off Fox Shocks. Everything else stock. Currently I have about 4500 miles on the truck.
Was looking at different mpg I was getting a different speeds on the Highway. Just mostly flat road not much wind or traffic.
At 75 MPH I was getting about 17-18 mpg according to the readout. At 70 MPH It went up to around 19-20 MPG. Dropping to 65 MPH it was reading in at around 23 MPG. Finally I dropped it to 60 MPH for awhile and was reading around 24-25 MPG.
Wind resistance increases exponentially above about 60. That's why there was a 55 mph speed limit for a few years during the great oil embargo years - to save gas. It wasn't just politicians tossing numbers at a wall to see what stuck, it was based on science.
You basically proved it again.
I noted the same driving in Indiana where the highways are 150% more flat and level than most of Iowa. When we were near Fort Wayne and the limits were 55-60 we got great mpg - then we hit the 70 speed limits and my wife was in a hurry to get back home so she hit the gas........ mpg went down dramatically.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Wind resistance increases exponentially above about 60. That's why there was a 55 mph speed limit for a few years during the great oil embargo years - to save gas. It wasn't just politicians tossing numbers at a wall to see what stuck, it was based on science.
Huh. Who would have thought politicians would have put *any* thought into it.

Sponsored

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
There are several factors that can play into fuel economy.
-Speed (65 vs 80+)
-Wind (pushing you from behind or side/head wind or none at all)
-Drag (tonneau cover or open bed)
-Gear ratio (Sport 3.73 or Rubicon 4.10)
-Fuel grade (87, 89 or 91 octane)
-GVW (weight of occupants and cargo)
-Terrain (mostly flat or hilly/mountainous)
-Stop and go (long driving stretches or frequent stops)

What gear ratio does your JT have? 3.73 or 4.10? If it's not a Rubi, then it's probably got the higher gear ratio and by nature will get better fuel economy than the 4.10. I've driven both and noticed that the stock Sport JT with the 3.73 has much more torque on acceleration than the Rubi 4.10 and therefore will achieve higher end fuel economy than the Rubicon as it has to work less to get up to speed or over hills.

As a professional driver, I am used to long haul driving, fuel economy and the factors I previously mentioned. I also don't need to stop every 2 hours to stretch or take a leak. I recently drove my JTUR with stock bumper and winch, with no tonneau cover and only one small bag with overnight stuff from my home in Fort Worth to a stop in Amarillo and finally my hotel in Parsons, KS, then back to Fort Worth, almost 1400mi total round trip, with about 20-30mi in town mileage in Parsons. Overall I averaged about 16.4mpg and averaged 68-72mph. Granted, I had a 15-25mph head and side wind from Fort Worth to about OKC, but nothing after that. Painful in my Rubi at ~$30/fill for 87 octane. I filled up 7 times in the 3 day trip. Inside the DFW metroplex I consistently average 18-19.5 mpg without cruise maintaining 70-75mph. (gotta love Texas).

I'm kind of sorry I didn't wait for the diesel release before buying. Fuel econ would be a far cry better than what I'm getting now with the Pentastar. That trip took me from 2571mi to 3864mi on the odometer. I burned over 150gal at an average cost of $1.93/gal at the pump. Odometer is currently at 4089mi. Not sure if the engine is broken in yet or not, but for a stock JT, I'd really be interested in hearing how ya'll are getting 25mpg driving a brick down the road.

The only other complaints I have is that the lumbar support in the stock seats is almost useless and the steering gear box issue that I haven't had time to get repaired yet. My lower back was killing me after the first day, 13 hours of driving from Fort Worth to Parsons, KS.

Some things I loved about it. Its just super fun to drive, and its still so new that everyone wants to check it out and talk about it. The LED headlights are fantastic, and the fog lights came in handy up in Oklahoma and Kansas when it got really foggy and then started light raining with road mist from other vehicles. I never had an issue seeing the road. The heater is more like a blast furnace, which I like, but I am sorry I didn't get the heated seats, solely because my back could've used it.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I noted the same driving in Indiana where the highways are 150% more flat and level than most of Iowa. When we were near Fort Wayne and the limits were 55-60 we got great mpg - then we hit the 70 speed limits and my wife was in a hurry to get back home so she hit the gas........ mpg went down dramatically.
I couldn't drive 60-65 much as I was about to get run over. Traveling at that speed on the freeway I was a sitting duck. Even the damned 18 wheelers were traveling 75-80 mph plus. I was just praying to stay out of the rocks they were kicking up and throwing everywhere.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
We've demonstrated that over and over in the classic car hobby where people swap differential gears and make no other changes, and talk about not only their ETs but fuel use as well.
overlands get better mileage mostly because of their wheels and tires. Respectfully, if you think 150rpm is the difference between 24-25 and 18-19 of the rubicons, youre out to lunch. wheels/tires and id guess front end bumper aero are the culprits, wheels and tires primarily. (Tread design, width, weight)

the classic car hobby is vastly different from a modern car due to fueling methodology.

the key factor isnt rpm, its load. Can the truck stay in top gear and remain in closed loop fueling protocol for the duration of the drive. Id wager a bet that a rubicon going from 4.10 to 3.73 would drop the mpg by 2 full miles per galon; and an overland going from 3.73 to 4.1 wouldnt see more than a 2-3% change if any at all.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
overlands get better mileage mostly because of their wheels and tires. Respectfully, if you think 150rpm is the difference between 24-25 and 18-19 of the rubicons, youre out to lunch. wheels/tires and id guess front end bumper aero are the culprits, wheels and tires primarily. (Tread design, width, weight)

the classic car hobby is vastly different from a modern car due to fueling methodology.

the key factor isnt rpm, its load. Can the truck stay in top gear and remain in closed loop fueling protocol for the duration of the drive. Id wager a bet that a rubicon going from 4.10 to 3.73 would drop the mpg by 2 full miles per galon; and an overland going from 3.73 to 4.1 wouldnt see more than a 2-3% change if any at all.
But I run rubicon tires and wheels 6 out of 12 months and do not see a mileage decrease with them.
Been a mechanic over 45 years.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
But I run rubicon tires and wheels 6 out of 12 months and do not see a mileage decrease with them.
Been a mechanic over 45 years.
youre saying you see no mileage drop swapping from SL rating passenger car tires to LT rated mud terrain tires?

yeah. Im calling bullshit.
Sponsored