Sponsored

3.0 Diesel IS quicker than Ram Hemi, and Ford 7.3!!

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Did they use the same horribly unfair test practice that they normally do, testing forced induction engines against naturally aspirated engines at high altitude?
As someone that lives in Colorado, this is just life. I wish I could have gotten the 2L turbo in the Gladiator instead of the 3.6L. Having forced induction helps in pretty much every area of daily use. It's kind of the reason I want to spend money on forced induction for the Gladiator...but I have heard nothing but bad things about doing that to the 3.6L. I will say that my little 2.4L Ecotech with some boost hasn't had any issues walking away from Vettes or Hemis in the last 4 years.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Good Grief you act like it's some grand conspiracy :rolleyes:
They simply raced what they had on hand where all the vehicles happened to be. Just for fun.
I would have been shocked if the lighter JL had not won -
I take their "test videos" with a grain of salt and view them mostly as just for fun.
Nothing scientific about them and no one should base any decisions at all on their videos.
They do this for kicks, money, views/clicks.
No one should take their stuff seriously or buy or not buy using their videos as any sort of criteria - often showing the 'DUH obvious'.
I had to wonder - what the heck are they counting brake applications or shifting for in one of their videos - who cares.
Youtube makes stars out of anyone, no experience needed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As someone that lives in Colorado, this is just life. I wish I could have gotten the 2L turbo in the Gladiator instead of the 3.6L. Having forced induction helps in pretty much every area of daily use. It's kind of the reason I want to spend money on forced induction for the Gladiator...but I have heard nothing but bad things about doing that to the 3.6L. I will say that my little 2.4L Ecotech with some boost hasn't had any issues walking away from Vettes or Hemis in the last 4 years.
If the bottom end isn't made to handle that sort of force or pressure - just amazes me when people believe they can take an engine designed to operate a certain way within certain limits and simply bolt on power. Just amazes me.
It works fine for some engines that are over-built or are made for that use, but if you want to go much more than stock power and forces, you build the bottom end differently - rods, bolts, other areas.
You don't see people taking race engines, upping the power and leaving the lower end all stock. Rods stretch with RPM, rod bolts are made to take so much force - exceed that and bad things happen. For me that means modifying the oiling system at times, different bearings, high dollar rod bolts, polishing, shot peening the rods or going lighter rods made for the forces being thrown at them.
Everyone wants simple bolt-on power............ and then gripe when the bottom end goes south or pistons break.

Here is one I rebuilt a while back - required sleeves and boring...........

engine-piston-029.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
At least to an elevation that doesn't unfairly pit a naturally aspirated engine working with less than normal atmospheric pressure against one with forced induction.
Exactly. If you are a professional automotive media entity, it would behoove you to provide the most accurate conditions possible for your testing. In their case, they should do their testing at an elevation that the majority of Americans live at so as to provide a more reasonable result. To not do so is being lazy on their part.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
Sigh...I suppose tfl should also have the Ike gauntlet rebuilt at sea level so as to remove high altitude bias too.

/Sarcasm

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sigh...I suppose tfl should also have the Ike gauntlet rebuilt at sea level so as to remove high altitude bias too.

/Sarcasm
Naw - they can simply bring their trucks to my neighborhood to test...... RAGBRAI riders come here to get ready for the big summer event because of our hills.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
And what's up with drag racing in 4WD high? WTH?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And what's up with drag racing in 4WD high? WTH?
First-hand experience. A buddy of mine towed his race car and trailer with his Dodge Ram diesel 4x4. He had it built nicely - so much he kept breaking things.
One time he decided on Friday night test and tune night, he'd for kicks take his truck down the track. We were all cheering him on - tree counted down, green light, the other guy was off down the track and Ron was spinning wheels - finally it took and he was pouring coal out the pipes and his time was horrible - even for a big heavy diesel Ram.
He came back around for a second pass and while he was in the lanes waiting his turn, a couple of us, over the din of the open headers of the other cars, shouted '4X4 - engage the case!!' and "put it in 4H!"
He did.
Countdown - and he's OFF! Launched nicely, not a bad time as I recall for the big heavy Ram.
A pickup on a dragstrip may as well sit back and relax - he'll spin those rears easier than almost anything else out there.

There's other guys who race Jeeps - I've got some pics, but not very good, of a couple of them, maybe more if I dig.

cordova-2005-jeep-8.jpg
Sponsored