Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Retired
  • Banned
I wanted to ask several on here about my 2022 gladiator?
First of all it started going into limp mode if I was pulling my lawnmower on a trailer up a long hill.
Saying throttle control malfunction stuff like that, I pull over turn off and start back and it goes back normal except with check engine light on.
It's happened 5 times.
It's always up a hill pulling a lawn mower.
Dealer reflashed, said a loose wire. But it did not help.
They said there was a code for low voltage.
So I took my multimeter and done random test, alternator, 2 batteries seemed normal except when running.
Voltage was 12.3-12.5 volts when running.
I went to my 16jk jeep and when running it's 14.7 volts.
I am wondering if it's a sensor or something else?
This never happens when empty it's always when hooked to a trailer with lawn mower

Screenshot_20230604-075347.png
Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
How hot did your oil get? If it’s get over 265ish degrees the computer nukes it.

In summer temps don’t be surprised if turbo heat soak becomes a thing too. I just had it on the hottest day in the last few years in my parts. Freaking sucked.

OP
OP

Ironman 67

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Retired
  • Banned
Not even close to that temp.
It was just normal operation.

t-bot

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD; '15 BMW K1300S
Not even close to that temp.
It was just normal operation.
I had the same experience back in May towing a camper (~3500#) on a 325 mile trip.

Towing up a hill on interstate approx 60-65 mph, started slight incline (maybe 3%), and RPM started rapidly changing between 2k & 3k rpm - shifting gears back and forth as well. "Service Electronic Throttle Control" and "CEL" came on the display. All temps were in normal range , maybe 10-15 degrees higher than non-towing. Truck went into 'limp' mode up hills and I was able to 'reset' by stopping turning off engine for a bit (CEL stayed illuminated). It happened twice on the way there, but didn't happen at all on the way home.

Took Gladiator in for service and they found error codes related to turbo signals/some other signal not received. They updated the PCM per a service bulletin. I'm away from home at the moment, so I don't have access to the service notes, but I can post the specific info in about a week and a half.

I haven't towed anything since the update, but will be for another trip in early August . Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. It wasn't a good feeling thinking I was about to be stuck on side of road pulling a camper.

Good luck!

Edit(including summary of 'fix')
Jeep Gladiator 3.0 diesel issues repairsummary

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Check the wiring harness by the exhaust pipe by the firewall. There is a bracket that may rub on the wiring harness. This has been known to cause all kind of strange things.

Sponsored

ScoGlad21

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
I'm interested to know if anyone has vented their hood to help with this issue? Seems to me the fake vents could be converted into real vents that could help keep the entire engine compartment cooler?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm interested to know if anyone has vented their hood to help with this issue? Seems to me the fake vents could be converted into real vents that could help keep the entire engine compartment cooler?
I did last summer. On the road, no noticeable difference. Cools down quicker when parked.

Tom C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude Diesel
I asked this in a different thread but was meant to ask here. Just a stupid question from someone who doesn’t know squat. If you aren’t going off roading for a long period of time, would removing the front skid plate help airflow and cooling? Also, maybe fabricate a lower air scoop.

MPTee

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep - 'nuff said
Just a thought - could it be your trailer wiring? Trailers often sit for long periods and don't get regular maintenance. If there is a bare wire in the frame or somewhere on the trailer itself, maybe it just shows itself on random up hill climbs. Could this throw the code to the truck, misleading it to think it is on the truck itself?
Experiment with the trailer lights not plugged in. Might be worth a shot.

K6ghl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Eco, 2017 JKR
Occupation
Retired Aerospace engineer
I had the same problem. Dealer said it was the dirty fuel filter. 21k miles on the old filter. Pulling my trailer in a few days. Will find out this weekend if that helped.

NOTJeepBeerSleep

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator diesel
Occupation
comms
i had the same issue. for me it it was a harness that was too close to the EGR.
Sponsored