Sponsored

3 for 3. My wife’s now too afraid to drive the Gladiator.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yet another good reason to bypass the shitty aux battery . It will fail without much warning . Check out the 600 post JL thread... yep
The poorly implemented auxiliary battery is just the tip of the iceberg.

I wonder if a large capacity capacitor could be used. Its life would be for all intents and purposes infinite and it would only have to operate for a few seconds at a time.
Sponsored

HVYMETL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Renegade, 2021 JTDR
Occupation
Manufacturing
Traveled from Iowa to Phoenix about a month ago. I was taking a load of belongings in an enclosed trailer. 1600 miles one way, about 2/3 of the way there I got the same message on my dash screen. Gladiator went into limp mode and we pulled over into a rest area about a mile up the road. I called every dealer from Tucumcari, New Mexico to Phoenix. All dealers were not willing to even look at the truck. There was one dealer willing to look at it but he said he honestly couldn't promise to fix it. For that, I do give a shout out to Bender Jeep in Clovis, New Mexico. Now I will say I was not willing to drive away from my destination 2 hrs in limp mode for a hope of fixing. I drove the gladiator to Lithia Jeep of Santa Fe because I left a message with an adviser explaining my situation. I told him i would be headed his way and to call me back if they could not look at it right away. I never received a call back and spoke to the adviser himself when I got there. He said he couldn't look at it for a week at least. I ask why he didn't call me back, and he said he got busy... I was disgusted, especially looking around the dealership with over 20-30 gladiators they would have no problem selling me right then.

After doing my own research at the rest area about the message in the display, I learned a lot. I needed a more powerful scan tool and carry more DEF fluid than you think you need. Prior to the message, I noticed my DEF gauge was showing more usage than I typically see. Appeared I needed to do a regen but the way I drive and was currently driving seemed crazy I would need it. My $20 BT scan device obviously wasn't up to initiating that.

I limp moded it to Phoenix and unloaded my stuff. Slept a couple hours and headed back to Iowa in limp mode. Made my appointment with my local dealer and a few days later heard back. He said there was a tsb on a fuel additive that they performed and it was ready to be picked up. I didn't believe for a second that was the issue, but OK. I couldn't wait to see the invoice and wouldn't you know they couldn't print it off because it was still open. I had them order the front end tsb items for the harshness with certain bumps. Guess the invoice will have to wait.

I did order the scan tool when I got home from Phoenix. ( should have been 30hrs with the trailer turned into 36 due to limp mode. I could do 55-65 most of the time, hills were like 45) I do highly recommend the Autel MK808bt as it paid for itself many times on our next trip to Phoenix.

Received the same message around the same location as last time. Thought it was an elevation issue but couldn't get myself to believe that. I pulled over on an exit and hooked up the scan tool. I can't say what triggers it, but I can say I erased the code and I was on my way with full power within 10 minutes. Would have been quicker but I didn't realize you need to be connected to the internet to download the files for the vehicle. I quickly set my hotspot up and didn't take long at all. I was soooo happy about that purchase and drove the rest of the way to Phoenix with no issues.

Headed back to Iowa and within 30 miles of the first two shit shows, It happened again. I whipped out the scan tool and was on my way within 5 minutes. It happened again about 2 hrs later when my wife was driving. She pulled over and again we were on our way within 5 minutes. Drove to Iowa with no other issues. I don't have time this week to take it in because we are trailering her Camaro back to Phoenix this weekend. The dealership is not that quick at getting things done there. We'll be fine I'm sure

My wife noticed the unusually high DEF consumption as well before the message. I am not sure where the DEF is utilized in the exhaust stream but possibly too much is used triggering a fault message from an O2 sensor. The scan tool did say there was an O2 sensor fault- Rich

When I return I will be checking with some other diesel shops to show them the codes and possible causes... If I learn something I will check back. For now, get your scan tool and you won't regret it.

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
Did not read the entire thread. Maybe already mentioned.
A “service exhaust see dealer message” is one of many messages I saw when I had a derate issue. I found wiring harnesses were getting too hot. The ECM could not properly read the sensor on the other end. I have also read about this on the JL forum.

I had heat issues with wiring above the power steering pump/ below fuse box and on the firewall near battery/EGR.

My Gladiator is heavily modified. Not normal air flow under hood.

Hope it works out for you.

HVYMETL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Renegade, 2021 JTDR
Occupation
Manufacturing
Did not read the entire thread. Maybe already mentioned.
A “service exhaust see dealer message” is one of many messages I saw when I had a derate issue. I found wiring harnesses were getting too hot. The ECM could not properly read the sensor on the other end. I have also read about this on the JL forum.

I had heat issues with wiring above the power steering pump/ below fuse box and on the firewall near battery/EGR.

My Gladiator is heavily modified. Not normal air flow under hood.

Hope it works out for you.
While I definitely won't say it's not the harness issue. I just find it odd, I can drive it 1200 miles and then it decides to act up.

OP
OP
DesertDog

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Update: Jeep Customer Care has sourced an intake manifold, turbocharger, and nearly enough parts to complete a repair. They are definitely trying. They also said that they will ship the Gladiator here when finished. I’m optimistic.

Sponsored

NCJL

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrical
While I definitely won't say it's not the harness issue. I just find it odd, I can drive it 1200 miles and then it decides to act up.
Possibly just look at the wire harnesses clipped to the fire wall near battery going towards transmission. I’ve read that one clip coming loose has caused similar situations. Wire harnesses runs right past the exhaust. Driving 1200 miles before happening makes sense. Takes time to heat up something near the heat source. Hopefully something simple like this. DEI heat wrap, done.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Right now we’re stuck in Butt Montana. Wife’s pretty pissed. Jeep only covers $1,000 during a trip when a Jeep becomes undriveable. Third trip. Third nightmare. This time the message was Exhaust service….see dealer (!) . Good luck with that one! Pressing the U Connect button is as worthless as “seeing your dealer” to try to get an oil or fuel filter. We’re traveling with animals so I have to leave her in a hotel 500 miles from home. I’m giving the dealer 2 days and then I have to figure out something survivable. No rental cars available one way. Hotels are full after Monday. I have one day left to be at work in Amsterdam so we’re so screwed and Jeep just says “ Yeah. It’s bad”. When will they ever get their shit together? Limp mode might be acceptable near civilization but it’s a matter of life and death out in the desert, which is where this piece of shit always fails.
Sorry for the rant. Desperate here.
They just flat out should have never put the 3.0l diesel in the JT/JL. I’m really sorry about your troubles and I hope it was sorted. I hope they buy it back from you and you can move on. The current version of that engine has had most of its issues addressed, but it’s a severely compromised design.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I get what you’re saying. There is just no other vehicle out there that does everything that the Gladiator does.
I understand that statistically the failures are rare.

Jeep Cares responded quickly.

I’m not really sure what can happen though as parts are (More often than not!?!!) lost in the supply chain.

Based on what several service departments have said, I don’t expect to see this vehicle anytime soon.
We made sure that the horse trailer and pop-up camper or stored properly as I don’t see the ability to tow either one of them anytime soon.

I try to put the economics out of my mind as $75,000 is sitting outside depreciating rapidly in a far away parking lot instead of being in the S&P.

At least everyone is safe.
You may be money ahead with your depreciated assets my annuity is down 21% ytd
Sponsored