Sponsored

Whats Changed On The Gen 3 EcoDiesel

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
That completely contradicts what an engineer told the host of Pickup Truck and SUV Talk. So now, we've got questions all over again at best.

As somebody on social media put it, "So they're saying 80% of the engine is new. That means 20% is still junk and 80% is totally unproven. I guess that makes it all better!"

Again, I'm a diesel lover. I just wouldn't touch the 3.0L EcoDiesel with a 10 foot pole. They should have gone to plan B.
It's never a good idea to purchase the first year of any new product. I say that even though I purchased a first year Gladiator but most everything on it has been on other products in the past.
Sponsored

ciagw

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
real estate
On another thread on this site someone mentioned that an engineer said that the cam gear issue was due to a harmonic thingymagig due to an RPM tiddlywink vibrational imbalance cofactor. They have fixed that so the press fit is OK now.
Thank you for this post! Press fit cams have not been an issue for 50 years, can everyone please stop perpetuating this myth that press-fit cam gears are somehow problematic on an otherwise healthy engine? Yes it does seem to be the case that *some* of the earlier gen ecodiesels had a harmonic issue at low rpms that (perhaps with other defects) caused bottom end failures by wrecking the main bearings. Once that goes all sorts of things break on an engine including cam gears. Bottom end bearing failures are the cause of problems in the earlier generation engines. The pressed-cam slippage issue is a total myth and please don't point to certain well-known BS youtube videos claiming this to be the problem. Pressed cam gears are just fine!!

FWIW, I had two 2018 Ecodiesels, both of which made it past 80,000km before I sold them, and neither had an issue with the bottom end, nor any kind of issue other than one bad glow plug at around 55K. Excellent engine overall and the reason I bought a Gen 3 ecodiesel Gladiator.

Yes, modern diesel engines are more complex, yes they are super susceptible to fuel contamination, yes they require careful maintenance... but if you keep them well maintained you get amazing power and fuel economy compared to the alternatives, and excellent drivability plus that sweet sweet diesel clatter that just adds character to the Gladiator.

Enjoy your ecodiesels while they are still being produced! Safe wheeling to all.