3M Digi Dash Wrap

Nick1941

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
I decided to take the dash apart and do a blk/gray Digi camo wrap on my Stingray JT interior. Came out looking really good
3M Metro series wrap
1x5 ft piece was enough to wrap the dash. Cost about 20$ and took about 2 hours total with wrap time.
Jeep Gladiator 3M Digi Dash Wrap 20200805_163805

Jeep Gladiator 3M Digi Dash Wrap 20200805_165531

Jeep Gladiator 3M Digi Dash Wrap 20200805_143410
Jeep Gladiator 3M Digi Dash Wrap 20200805_144155
Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Camo is not my cup of tea but looks like you did a great job! Glad you like it!

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, CRX Del Sol Sir, AP1 S2000
I was under the impression that the passenger airbag is back there. Might not be a good idea to put a huge piece of tape over it unless you score it

Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Love it!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It is back there, but you underestimate how powerful airbags are.
When I was in HS, a buddy of mine's family owned a auto recycling place, and they used to buy salvage vehicles for parts all the time. We used to find intact airbags and sit [empty] 55 gallon drums on top of them, and run wires to them, and stick them to a 12v car battery from a safe distance. A lot of people underestimate how powerful airbags are... When you've seen one send a 55-gallon drum over 50' in the air, you know it's got some juice behind it. :like:

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Another vote here for scoring it along the airbag opening. As a mechanical design engineer, I wouldn't mess with anything that could cause issues with a life safety system functioning properly. Not only are you increasing risk for your family/friend passengers, you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit *if* there was an accident and your wrap interfered with the airbag deployment. Take it for what it's worth, just my 2 cents.

For a visual, compare the airbag panel flaps to the bottom flaps of a cardboard moving box. If you just have some basic glue holding the bottom flaps together, it might hold a little weight, but if you take packing tape and reinforce the bottom flaps, it holds substantially more. I get that airbags are powerful, but I think you also underestimate how strong tape (or a wrap) can be when applied correctly.

That all being said, as far as looks, I like it quite a bit. Nice work.

Last edited:

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
X2 @Alabama Mud Machine and @JRobes

If the airbag can't come out that burst panel it is going to blow the dash apart. If you are in an accident bad enough to blow the airbag, you don't need the additional shrapnel an exploding dash is going to create.

IMHO, YMMV

Gregj

Sponsored

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, CRX Del Sol Sir, AP1 S2000
It is back there, but you underestimate how powerful airbags are.
I wonder what the back of the trim covering that goes over the airbag looks like. I would try to duplicate whatever method they have for weakening the plastic to allow it to split and the airbag to detonate properly. My guess is that it is scored but I haven't seen it. When the airbag detonates that energy is going to rush to the point of least resistance and if the designed exit is reinforced, it may find another exit and launch the trim piece off the clips or shatter it into pieces. Scoring would at least help guide the energy through the intended channel.

I think the wrap looks awesome but it's not worth the potentially extreme risk for me. Would love to do mine in black multicam....

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
I wonder what the back of the trim covering that goes over the airbag looks like. I would try to duplicate whatever method they have for weakening the plastic to allow it to split and the airbag to detonate properly. My guess is that it is scored but I haven't seen it. When the airbag detonates that energy is going to rush to the point of least resistance and if the designed exit is reinforced, it may find another exit and launch the trim piece off the clips or shatter it into pieces. Scoring would at least help guide the energy through the intended channel.

I think the wrap looks awesome but it's not worth the potentially extreme risk for me. Would love to do mine in black multicam....
Can do!
Jeep Gladiator 3M Digi Dash Wrap EA53E951-5795-4241-93D3-C23779D01EF2

Jeep Gladiator 3M Digi Dash Wrap E7F1CF3E-FDC9-467D-BBED-728FC038FE77

That blue box is where the airbag lives, that dark line is where it is designed to open to allow the airbag to deploy.

Gregj

Backwoodsraider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jts
@Nick1941 any tips on the driver side? I wrapped mine a while ago, but always ends up with wrinkles. And some air bubbles are forming where I heated and stretched

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I like the camo.

Just not a fan of the color palette you picked. Gray camo would have gone better with a stingray exterior.
Sponsored