Sponsored

4:10 rings for $200 with 12K on them - for 35" or 37" eventually?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Yea, I stayed with the 3.73's when I put on the 33's but now with the 35's it struggles up hills. Still get 15mpg but it runs lower gear and higher ram up hills. I would wait if you think you are going to 35's. If you are staying with 33's then get the 4.10's now. You will still need kits and depending on mileage, new axle bearings.
I have a Sport S with 4.10's so figured I would be ok going up to 35's eventually. I am ok running the 33's as they are a much better look to me than the stock and I think 35's look the best.
Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I have a Sport S with 4.10's so figured I would be ok going up to 35's eventually. I am ok running the 33's as they are a much better look to me than the stock and I think 35's look the best.
A buddy has a Rubi with 35's and he has some issues going up hills. He is looking at re-gearing which we will have that discussion this weekend.

Deleted member 24880

I have a Sport S with 3.73 and running 35s. My truck run perfectly fine and I average around 16mpg with a mix of city and highway. We did a 1600 mile trek to TN and back and the truck performed flawlessly. I will only change gears if I go to 37s.

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
I have 37’s with stock 4.10 gears and have no problem doing anything...have not tried towing yet but will this weekend. Hopefully it won’t just explode into a giant catastrophic mushroom cloud.....

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm surprised to hear that, we have no problem hitting 8th gear on 35's. Does he have a lot of weight on the truck or something?

I feel like the 4.10's are well suited to 35's. H2's with a 4 spd auto had the same size tires and diff gearing, so 4 more gears is how our Jeeps make up for the missing 1.4L of displacement.

A buddy has a Rubi with 35's and he has some issues going up hills. He is looking at re-gearing which we will have that discussion this weekend.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised to hear that, we have no problem hitting 8th gear on 35's. Does he have a lot of weight on the truck or something?

I feel like the 4.10's are well suited to 35's.
Apparently a lot of other folks think that way as well - look at the number of Jeeps quickly equipped with 35s before they even have 1,000 miles on them - with stock gears. Don't really hear them complaining.
Again, I figure if I can run 33s then someone with 4.10 gears should be ok with 35s - I haven't done the math, to be honest, but that comparison shouldn't be too far off......

Towing, that's another matter - even my Silverado had towing issues- constant transmission shifting, lack of power on less than level ground -but it did have a higher gear ratio - 3.42 -

5.3 liter
315 HP @ 5200 RPM
338 ft/lb torque @ 4000 RPM
3.42 axle ratio

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer

I feel like the 4.10's are well suited to 35's. H2's with a 4 spd auto had the same size tires and diff gearing, so 4 more gears is how our Jeeps make up for the missing 1.4L of displacement.
It's not just number of gears in the trans and final ratio, the transmission gearing itself and engine power/torque make a big difference. With my 6MT the 5.13 first gear will spin damn near anything I can put on it but even on stock 33s 5th and 6th do not want to do any climbing under 65mph, both of those are ODs in this truck and dropping to 4th brings the power screaming back (plus revs which helps more)

The benefit to more gears means closer to optimal ratios at more speeds vs making do with a high gear, a low gear, and a couple intermediates. Plus those 4spd GM transmissions are crap compared to a ZF

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Wonder how altitude plays into this. I live at 6,000 feet. I wheel usually from 8,000+.

It's not just number of gears in the trans and final ratio, the transmission gearing itself and engine power/torque make a big difference. With my 6MT the 5.13 first gear will spin damn near anything I can put on it but even on stock 33s 5th and 6th do not want to do any climbing under 65mph, both of those are ODs in this truck and dropping to 4th brings the power screaming back (plus revs which helps more)

The benefit to more gears means closer to optimal ratios at more speeds vs making do with a high gear, a low gear, and a couple intermediates. Plus those 4spd GM transmissions are crap compared to a ZF

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Well see, therein lies the issue. Everywhere we go we have to go up over the mountains. If we play in the desert then we have to go up the mountain twice. The Rubi with 35's doesnt have as much of an issue as I do as I'm always down shifting and running 4k to 5k rpm. What sold the deal was our trip to Sequoia. Quite a bit of time in lower gears and higher RPM.
So every situation is different. 3.73's are not ideal for higher altitude 4 wheelin. With that said, I personally have decided to go with 4.56 for a more balanced approach with 35" tires.

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
Everything I read says 4:56 is the sweet spot for what I want.

Well see, therein lies the issue. Everywhere we go we have to go up over the mountains. If we play in the desert then we have to go up the mountain twice. The Rubi with 35's doesnt have as much of an issue as I do as I'm always down shifting and running 4k to 5k rpm. What sold the deal was our trip to Sequoia. Quite a bit of time in lower gears and higher RPM.
So every situation is different. 3.73's are not ideal for higher altitude 4 wheelin. With that said, I personally have decided to go with 4.56 for a more balanced approach with 35" tires.

Sponsored

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE-Billet, 21 F150 Tremor, 98 Jeep XJ, 68 Bronco
Ok. I have a chance to grab Rubicon 4:10 rings for $200 with 12K on them. They look clean.
I'm running 33s. May eventually go 35s or 37s but not for a long time. Probably more likely 35s next.
IS it worth it to grab and swap?
Was just browsing through threads this AM and I didn't see anyone say this here, but Rubi gears won't fit your axles unless you have the Max Tow (in which case you'd already have 4:10's). If someone already said that, my bad. If you're hellbent to pick some up anyway, I have a set of 4:10's with 1500 miles holding down some paperwork in my garage that I'd trade for some beer. ;):beer:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Was just browsing through threads this AM and I didn't see anyone say this here, but Rubi gears won't fit your axles unless you have the Max Tow (in which case you'd already have 4:10's). If someone already said that, my bad. If you're hellbent to pick some up anyway, I have a set of 4:10's with 1500 miles holding down some paperwork in my garage that I'd trade for some beer. ;):beer:
Why won't they?
I thought these carriers were only good to 3.73 and then you had to swap the carrier but it was pointed out - proven - they will take 4.10 gears. The charts on the web are for the earlier versions of these axles.
A forum member showed that I could indeed put 4.10s in my Overland axles without changing the carrier.
I was checking as I was strongly considering 4.10 gears for my Overland since I will be towing with it at times - about 5,000 pounds, and it's really hilly around here.

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE-Billet, 21 F150 Tremor, 98 Jeep XJ, 68 Bronco
Why won't they?
I thought these carriers were only good to 3.73 and then you had to swap the carrier but it was pointed out - proven - they will take 4.10 gears. The charts on the web are for the earlier versions of these axles.
A forum member showed that I could indeed put 4.10s in my Overland axles without changing the carrier.
I was checking as I was strongly considering 4.10 gears for my Overland since I will be towing with it at times - about 5,000 pounds, and it's really hilly around here.
That's my bad if this has already been done then. When I bought my gears for the Rubi, the vendor (not giving out names here) specifically asked if I had the Rubi and told me the carriers/housings were different and took a different set of gears. Not sure if they were thinking JL vs JT, or maybe something else. The good news here is if someone can use a set of 4.10s, I have a set to give them!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If I am choosing gears for 35 or 37 it would not be 4.10
And yet dozens here - if not many dozens - are running 35s on their Rubicon with the stock gearing....

I suspect you may be suggesting that if you are going to pay to re-gear ANYWAY, why stop at the edge of good - do it so they would be good for either sides, perhaps?

For me, I'll never go 37s - that's silly for me and my truck - I don't need the he-man look when towing to car shows or travelling cross-country. I'll likely stick with 33s, BIGGEST I'd ever go in my current life-time is 35s and that would be on a spare set of wheels.

The cicrumference jump from stock 33" tires to 37" is double the jump to 35" tires, so the 37" tires have a lot more mechanical advantage over that engine than the 35s do.
And frankly, when I put the Rubicon Falken A/T tires on my JT - nothing really changed -the speedometer was still accurate and I found the rolling diamater wasn't off enough to bother resetting anything. Side-by-side, my Rubicon tires don't sit taller by hardly anything compared to the stock Overland tires - and that's with the weight of the truck on the Overland tires. Weight off they sit all but the same height.

Circumference -
For a 33 it's 103.67
For a 35 it's roughly 110
For a 37 it's 116.24
You add almost 13" of travel for each revolution going to 37 from 33.

That's my bad if this has already been done then. When I bought my gears for the Rubi, the vendor (not giving out names here) specifically asked if I had the Rubi and told me the carriers/housings were different and took a different set of gears. Not sure if they were thinking JL vs JT, or maybe something else. The good news here is if someone can use a set of 4.10s, I have a set to give them!
Yeah, I was shown that they changed for the JT - the carriers for the JT are different and will take the 4.10 gears. I was very sure they would not - I even found charts showing they would not - then someone pointed me out to current JT stuff and proved me wrong. Gee, one little mistake..... LOL

Anyway, if shipping on all that iron wasn't so crazy it might be something to take a chance on. 1500 miles isn't a lot. I don't know if I'll ever change gears, but - I have not yet tried towing a LOAD with this thing, either, so never say never, I guess.
Sponsored