Sponsored

40" tires... Talk me out of it

Lift/tire size

• Total voters

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Not knocking anyone who wants to go 40s; personally I think they look great given the length of the JT.

But a penile implant is a lot cheaper.
Sponsored

JD D05

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have run 37's and 40's on my JTR. 37's were great on my 2" Mopar lift and Dana 44's, no modification needed (at this point I could only get 14-15 MPG avg). I recently did a few upgrades and decided to go to 40's. To successfully upgrade and feel I had full reliability off-road I updated: lift (now 4" long arm), UD60 axle swap with 4.88 gears, driveshafts, ram ported steering box with hydro assist and yeti steering components. I also replaced all inners and fenders, only front inners were necessary for 40's at full flex without rubbing.

If you just want your truck to "look cool" but not be truly "capable" - I have seen several guys run 40's on their Dana 44s. Most of them will run a truss kit for extra support but a few have not.

I also know of a guy who was running 40's on stock Dana 44's (no truss kit) who found some wet pavement, tried to do a burnout and snapped his axle.

Personally, I wouldn't go to 40's without the proper frame work. If its just a mall crawler - 37's look pretty bad ass too.

1st picture - 37s on 2" Mopar lift
2-5 - All upgrades done for 40's

20200630_160106.jpg

Driveshaft1.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

inners.jpg

Jeep3.jpg
What inner fender liner are those?

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Not knocking anyone who wants to go 40s; personally I think they look great given the length of the JT.

But a penile implant is a lot cheaper.
So is just buying a Chevy.

Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
HAHAHAHAHAH ‘the fuck out of here dude. Ive been all over the US and Africa on 31.5-33” tires.

Bro, you didnt need $40k in axles and lift. Just stop. Seriously.

Just own it and say “Fuck you. this is fucking America, I got a shit ton of disposable cash, and Ill drive a big ass fucking Jeep because i fucking want to.”

But dont come at us with the “i needed dana60’s and 42’s for camping trips.” Ain’t a person here buying that bullshit.
Wow, so your an asshole in every thread then? Take your crap somewhere else dude. We are all enthusiasts. No one here needs to hear your .2 cents unless its supportive or keep your mouth shut.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Wow, so your an asshole in every thread then? Take your crap somewhere else dude. We are all enthusiasts. No one here needs to hear your .2 cents unless its supportive or keep your mouth shut.
Nah. Ill say what i want when i want.

My post was absolutely clear on my support for him running big axles and big tires. But people saying they “needed” it for camping trips isnt helpful or supportive to the newbie who is asking questions and doesnt know better and doesnt know whats really involved in going that big. Thats how people get set up for failure, and i wont be party to that.

You want support dressed up bullshit, then feel free to do so. Im going to cut it as real as i see it every time, and no one is ever going to change that.

Got it??

JD D05

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have wanted to comment on what people tow with these Gladiators but it would be negative so I don't lol.

Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Nah. Ill say what i want when i want.

My post was absolutely clear on my support for him running big axles and big tires. But people saying they “needed” it for camping trips isnt helpful or supportive to the newbie who is asking questions and doesnt know better and doesnt know whats really involved in going that big. Thats how people get set up for failure, and i wont be party to that.

You want support dressed up bullshit, then feel free to do so. Im going to cut it as real as i see it every time, and no one is ever going to change that.

Got it??
No I don't "got it". Sugar coat your shit all you want.....your just a jackass. You have absolutely no clue what trails or otherwise any of us run or what we put our rigs through.

So if we are going to be blunt and honest......lets just call it like it is.....your an asshole. Case closed.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
No I don't "got it". Sugar coat your shit all you want.....your just a jackass. You have absolutely no clue what trails or otherwise any of us run or what we put our rigs through.

So if we are going to be blunt and honest......lets just call it like it is.....your an asshole. Case closed.
Cool story, bro. Go cry into your beer. You’re in the wrong place for sympathy or apologies.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Cool story, bro. Go cry into your beer. You’re in the wrong place for sympathy.
I don't drink. Sympathy? Can't tell you how much I depend on needing sympathy from the forum....its the entire reason I am here! Your the one running your mouth in every forum thread trying to belittle peoples builds.

I feel sorry for you.

Sorry, I understand this isn't the platform for this and don't mean to take away from the OP's thread. Kurt, if you'd like.....PM me.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I don't drink. Sympathy? Can't tell you how much I depend on needing sympathy from the forum....its the entire reason I am here! Your the one running your mouth in every forum thread trying to belittle peoples builds.

I feel sorry for you.

Sorry, I understand this isn't the platform for this and don't mean to take away from the OP's thread. Kurt, if you'd like.....PM me.
I think id rather just add you to the block list, frankly. Ive had my fill.

My message to you and others remains the same as it consistently has been: you got the cash for hemi swaps and axle swaps, more power to you. I love seeing big builds like that, and you enjoy the hell out of it.

But i wont -not ever- let someone who is admittedly a total newbie looking for help be steered into 40’s without knowledge-afore-thought. If you GENUINELY need 40’s for your trails, then run your 40’s. If you just LIKE running 40’s, then run your 40’s. More power to you. But be candid with new people asking for advice as to what is really involved to truly wheel tires that big because Not everyone here has the budgets you people do. Not everyone can shrug off expense of a blown axle shaft or a blown diff. Not everyone realizes how easy it is to get DW from an improper build on 40’s. Or how fast youll wear out parts you thought would be warrantied.

So yeah. When a guy says “i needed 42’s and dana 60’s for camping” with zero additional context as to what trails he is driving, when the majority of us here know you dont need them for the vast majority of the globe, im going to toss up a flag on the play. And i know for a fact the OP has found that to be helpful, because he has told me as much.

Best of luck with your continued build.

Last edited:

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
off road newbie here -- Appreciate the post and all the comments. Helps solidify that I should be just fine with my Sport for the little bit of off roading I am interested in. I can say even when I first started looking at the forum I got sucked into the "need a Rubi and bigger tires" idea.

Eventually priced and researched my way out of that mindset. Also helps knowing I've gone out in the trail hawk and learned that real rock crawling is NOT my thing at all. I went home that day more stressed exhausted than ever in my life.:whew:

Maybe I will go to like 35 once the factory tires need replaced. Maybe. And a lift is a no cause I am short and it's already almost too high :CWL:

To OP - hope to see the progress of your upgrade to 37s!
Sponsored