Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a sports car experience....buy one.

I have my V6 JT supercharged. This puts me running around 300 hrspwr conservatively. Its great for a Jeep.

When I want to drive a sports car or have all the power - I hop in my SRT.
If you only got 15 more HP out of a supercharger then you got ripped off.
Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
If you only got 15 more HP out of a supercharger then you got ripped off.
Thanks for your input. We are talking dyno'ed hrspwr at the wheels running 37s.

If you think the stock engine is putting 285 hrspwr to the ground on 37s you are plain silly.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your input. We are talking dyno'ed hrspwr at the wheels running 37s.

If you think the stock engine is putting 285 hrspwr to the ground on 37s you are plain silly.
I don't, but I would of thought you would get better gains than that from a supercharger, even on 37's. The Dyno numbers on a local guys with a Ripp Supercharger was 368 hp and 320 Torque on 35's. I would of expected at least 325 or better.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Why would you pay exponentially more for the 392 for more torque when you can pickup the Eco diesel?

At the end of the day, its too much engine ESPECIALLY for the Wrangler.

Just one mans opinion.
I agree. This is more power than I - personally - need in a Jeep. However, I don't want the diesel:

1. Its expensive up front.
2. Cold Weather. It is in the negative 20s (Fahrenheit) almost every morning in December, January, and February where I live, and we can get temps around 0 randomly about 9 months out of the year. This last September we had a cold snap out of the blue and it was negative 3 a few mornings. That makes managing diesel fuel a PIA because you cannot anticipate the cold temps.
3. Modern diesel emissions systems can be a hassle if you don't get them up to temp regularly, and they are expensive to maintain out of warranty.
4. V8 power is good enough or better than the diesel (depending which V8 you compare to):
5.7 Hemi truck: 395 HP / 410 Lb-Ft
6.4 Hemi truck: 410 HP / 429 Lb-Ft
6.4 Hemi SRT: 470 HP / 470 Lb-Ft

In a sensible world, we would have the 5.7 option for $2,000 more than the 3.6 Pentastar (for comparison, that is the price bump to go from the 3.3 V6 to the 5.0 V8 in a Ford F-150). The 5.7 would provide great power for a Gladiator. Sure, its a little down on torque compared to the diesel, but (1) it makes much better horsepower, (2) there are no cold-weather worries, and (3) no crazy-ass emissions systems. It seems like an obvious option, one that is time-tested, and one that is relatively affordable.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
I agree. This is more power than I - personally - need in a Jeep. However, I don't want the diesel:

1. Its expensive up front.
2. Cold Weather. It is in the negative 20s (Fahrenheit) almost every morning in December, January, and February where I live, and we can get temps around 0 randomly about 9 months out of the year. This last September we had a cold snap out of the blue and it was negative 3 a few mornings. That makes managing diesel fuel a PIA because you cannot anticipate the cold temps.
3. Modern diesel emissions systems can be a hassle if you don't get them up to temp regularly, and they are expensive to maintain out of warranty.
4. V8 power is good enough or better than the diesel (depending which V8 you compare to):
5.7 Hemi truck: 395 HP / 410 Lb-Ft
6.4 Hemi truck: 410 HP / 429 Lb-Ft
6.4 Hemi SRT: 470 HP / 470 Lb-Ft

In a sensible world, we would have the 5.7 option for $2,000 more than the 3.6 Pentastar (for comparison, that is the price bump to go from the 3.3 V6 to the 5.0 V8 in a Ford F-150). The 5.7 would provide great power for a Gladiator. Sure, its a little down on torque compared to the diesel, but (1) it makes much better horsepower, (2) there are no cold-weather worries, and (3) no crazy-ass emissions systems. It seems like an obvious option, one that is time-tested, and one that is relatively affordable.
Couldn't agree more. A 5.7 makes sense - a 6.4 is overkill and prices out 95% of the people that would want to drive it due to running premium fuel, fuel efficiency and insurance cost alone.

That being said I too live in a similar climate (Green Bay) and the modern day diesel has no issues in our temperatures. I will never own one out of warranty but you are right - any repair cost could be substantial.

Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
I don't, but I would of thought you would get better gains than that from a supercharger, even on 37's. The Dyno numbers on a local guys with a Ripp Supercharger was 368 hp and 320 Torque on 35's. I would of expected at least 325 or better.
I believe when I mentioned my supercharger I said "300 hrspwr conservatively or something along those lines. Anyways, that's off topic and not what this post is about so it doesn't matter.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Couldn't agree more. A 5.7 makes sense - a 6.4 is overkill and prices out 95% of the people that would want to drive it due to running premium fuel, fuel efficiency and insurance cost alone.

That being said I too live in a similar climate (Green Bay) and the modern day diesel has no issues in our temperatures. I will never own one out of warranty but you are right - any repair cost could be substantial.
No issues with fuel gelling? I know the winter blends are fine, but we don't get winter blends in September and October when we see surprise cold temps. I know people run diesels in the coldest places in the world, its just that the cold temps here can be hard to predict in fall & spring.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
No issues with fuel gelling? I know the winter blends are fine, but we don't get winter blends in September and October when we see surprise cold temps. I know people run diesels in the coldest places in the world, its just that the cold temps here can be hard to predict in fall & spring.
The stations around here are really good. We get winter diesel before the cold even thinks about setting in. Can also carry a bottle or two of anti-gel around with you just in case as well.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
The stations around here are really good. We get winter diesel before the cold even thinks about setting in. Can also carry a bottle or two of anti-gel around with you just in case as well.
Good to know! Perhaps my diesel fuel knowledge is out of date - it’s been a long time since I’ve driven a diesel. Thanks for the education. I still don’t think it’s the best option for my use (too many short trips for the emissions system), but cold-weather worries was a big concern. You’ve got me thinking, since I don’t see a 5.7 on the horizon....
Thanks!

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Good to know! Perhaps my diesel fuel knowledge is out of date - it’s been a long time since I’ve driven a diesel. Thanks for the education. I still don’t think it’s the best option for my use (too many short trips for the emissions system), but cold-weather worries was a big concern. You’ve got me thinking, since I don’t see a 5.7 on the horizon....
Thanks!
I read an article Motor Trend released today and it sounds like even the 6.4 has no future plans (near future 2-3 yrs) for the Gladiator. That being said it leaves you stick with the current V6 option which is plenty for some....supercharging.....OK solution (I don't love it like I'd hoped) or going Eco D.

Supercharging it gave me the power I was after for sure however.....I did not consider how much I haul my trailer and boat and how bad it sucks getting 8MPG on premium fuel while hauling. If you don't tow much.....the supercharger is a pretty sweet setup.

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I read an article Motor Trend released today and it sounds like even the 6.4 has no future plans (near future 2-3 yrs) for the Gladiator. That being said it leaves you stick with the current V6 option which is plenty for some....supercharging.....OK solution (I don't love it like I'd hoped) or going Eco D.

Supercharging it gave me the power I was after for sure however.....I did not consider how much I haul my trailer and boat and how bad it sucks getting 8MPG on premium fuel while hauling. If you don't tow much.....the supercharger is a pretty sweet setup.
Good info - thanks!

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
You won't see a 392 Gladiator until Ford comes out with a Bronco truck. Only reason Jeep is throwing it in the JLU is so try to reduce the Bronco sales bleed. Bronco turbo motors are strong, and if that's important to a buyer they will go Bronco. This will entice them to re examine the JLU.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Well there is one more option, … Switch to a JL so you can get the 392 engine. That is what I will probably do mid-year in 2021. I would consider doing it now, but my JT is only 3 months old

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
The 6.4 is marketed to the slim market with deep pockets. Not made for the masses that could afford a $2K 5.7 Hemi bump. If they offered an affordable 5.7 option then 3.6 sales would go down to probably less than half of overall sales. Having the vehicle lines C.A.F.E. standards to take a huge hit. They don't want that. Especially with the Green New Deal looming.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
The 6.4 is marketed to the slim market with deep pockets. Not made for the masses that could afford a $2K 5.7 Hemi bump. If they offered an affordable 5.7 option then 3.6 sales would go down to probably less than half of overall sales. Having the vehicle lines C.A.F.E. standards to take a huge hit. They don't want that. Especially with the Green New Deal looming.
Agreed, I am curious to see how many of these FCA pushes out for 2021.
Sponsored