Sponsored

6.4L V8 Hemi (392) possibly "real world" testing for future Gladiator model

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I don’t see a reason for a $10-15k up charge for the V8. In the Ford F-150 lineup, the bump in price from the base 3.3 V6 to the 5.0 V8 is $2,000. In the Jeep lineup that’s a comp to going from the 3.6 Pentastar to the 5.7 Hemi (in theory). So maybe another $1,000 to the standard 6.4 (410 HP, 429 Torque) found in the Ram 2500/3500 trucks. Now the SRT version of the 6.4 is considered “high performance” so they’ll want a lot more for that... Maybe we should be writing Jeep asking for the 5.7 or the truck version of the 6.4.
I'm quoting my own post here - how pretentious is that!

I was thinking about the 6.4 and the cost increase over the V6. Ford can get away with a $2,000 up-charge for the 5.0 V8 (over the 3.3 V6) because the F150 with the V6 is basically overbuilt. It has the drive train of a full-size truck with the engine from a midsize, so moving up to a more powerful engine does not require other modifications. Jeeps aren't built like that. So I think Jeep would have to beef-up the drive train (I don't know which parts are stout enough to handle the 6.4 and which are not). If they sold a 6.4 Gladiator with something like Dana Ultimate 60s and heavier front end components (tie rod, drag link, etc.) that price bump over the V6 would be substantial - but its one I'd be willing to pay. I'm not willing to pay a lot for the SRT version of the 6.4 Hemi. What they want for the SRT over the truck-version of the 6.4 is silly (IMHO). And I would never consider a Hellcat in a Wrangler or a Gladiator - I don't want 700 ponies in an off-road rig, and I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for something I don't want! The most power I've ever driven in a Jeep Wrangler was a juiced 6.2 LS in a JKU; it had 500 horsepower and around 525 lb-ft of torque. Maybe I would have gotten used to it, but it felt like too much. Even the owner felt like he might have been better off leaving the LS stock (420 HP / 460 lb-ft).
Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
Disagree. Jeep doesnt need to do anything. Ford will see less than 10% of Jeep owners buy into a Bronco if its for true offroading. Its a novelty at this point. Much like the TRX, pointless and won't stick around long (a few years max). Everyone wants high horsepower, yes. No want wants to be filling a 6.4 with premium fuel to get 10-12 MPG. Let's be real and practical - what do you need a 6.4 in a wrangler for? Aee you planning to haul more than the 1500 lbs. That the chasis allows?
For the same reason we NEED 700+ HP in a challenger/charger/grand Cherokee... Cause we can. FCA has been very clever in their marketing and releasing cars to fit THEIR enthusiasts, not others. The Jurassic park scene where the T-Rex kills the raptors at the end, pure genius. They are giving their true fans what they want.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
What do you need a 6.4L in a Wrangler for? Speed. Thrill. Fun. FCA does a lot of market research. Guess which vehicle has been cross-shopped against the Wrangler for years? The Ford Mustang GT Convertible. Problem is, the Mustang GT convertible is fast, fun, and has open air. But it doesn't off-road. The Wrangler off-roads and has open air, but doesn't go fast. Just imagine if Jeep made a vehicle that did all three!

These companies are building trucks and SUVs that are $60k, $80k, nearly $100k and they're selling them as fast as they can make them. A big wig on the Ram pickup team famously said during an interview last year that "we wish we had a more expensive truck to sell." There are a lot of people who couldn't care less about 12 MPG and running premium fuel. If you offer them 450 HP and 450 lbs/ft in a convertible 4x4, it'll sell like hotcakes.

Horsepower has made a HUGE comeback in the last ten years.
Speed, thrill and fun?!?! If your a life long Jeeper.....you aren't looking for speed...unless you want to roll it! Everything else, it has!

Should they outfit it with more power, hell yea. Should they be putting a 6.4 running premium fuel in it, hell no.

I own a 2018 SRT Durango with a 392. In two years I have put 1k miles on it because its made for speed and handling. It was a novelty buy.

Wait it out, there wont be many produced. It will be a limited run because its not practical. IE - Demon.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
For the same reason we NEED 700+ HP in a challenger/charger/grand Cherokee... Cause we can. FCA has been very clever in their marketing and releasing cars to fit THEIR enthusiasts, not others. The Jurassic park scene where the T-Rex kills the raptors at the end, pure genius. They are giving their true fans what they want.
Im not knocking their marketing. Ive owned 20 FCA vehciles in the past 7 years. Its practically all I buy and drive. That doesn't mean I agree with every platform they make.

The 700 hrspwr sports car, makes sense and is usable. Most guys buying them, see track time.

The reality of 500 hrspwr in a Wrangler is .... beyond about 300 hrspwr it does nothing for you offroad. Im not arguing a V8, that move should have been made 10 years ago.

This however is overkill IMO and no matter how great people think it is....few will be able to afford it and those who can (outside a very few) won't use it as an offroad machine.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
1000%. Nuclear is the answer for clean, abundant, cheap energy, yet the ecomentalists are against it.
nuclear has a weak point and that’s demand spikes and shrinkage

Sponsored

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im not knocking their marketing. Ive owned 20 FCA vehciles in the past 7 years. Its practically all I buy and drive. That doesn't mean I agree with every platform they make.

The 700 hrspwr sports car, makes sense and is usable. Most guys buying them, see track time.

The reality of 500 hrspwr in a Wrangler is .... beyond about 300 hrspwr it does nothing for you offroad. Im not arguing a V8, that move should have been made 10 years ago.

This however is overkill IMO and no matter how great people think it is....few will be able to afford it and those who can (outside a very few) won't use it as an offroad machine.
We can agree to disagree here. NA HP is very usable off-road in lots of different situations. Also, at 3k rpm, the SRT8 has 75 more TQ than the pentastar. Peak power isn't the only advantage.

Now, I would agree the SRT8 6.4 is a bit overkill and the HD 6.4 would be a better suited engine for the JL/JT simply due to the internals being forged, different head/block design for cooling, which is the problem with putting a 392 in the JL/JT platform.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
We can agree to disagree here. NA HP is very usable off-road in lots of different situations. Also, at 3k rpm, the SRT8 has 75 more TQ than the pentastar. Peak power isn't the only advantage.

Now, I would agree the SRT8 6.4 is a bit overkill and the HD 6.4 would be a better suited engine for the JL/JT simply due to the internals being forged, different head/block design for cooling, which is the problem with putting a 392 in the JL/JT platform.
Why would you pay exponentially more for the 392 for more torque when you can pickup the Eco diesel?

At the end of the day, its too much engine ESPECIALLY for the Wrangler.

Just one mans opinion.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Why would you pay exponentially more for the 392 for more torque when you can pickup the Eco diesel?

Just one mans opinion.
Each to his own, I suppose. I really like the 3.6L V6.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Each to his own, I suppose. I really like the 3.6L V6.
You are absolutely correct. The 3.6 becomes a bit underwhelming depending how much gear you load up and how big you decide to go on wheels and tires but it has been a reliable platform for some time!

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Just one mans opinion.
I think you're "arguing" that the V6 is enough, which I would agree with you. Its a great engine and has very usable power. However, Im a power junky, Im always chasing it in every car. I tuned an M6 Gran Coupe to over 700 HP on race gas and most recently with my 911, Im itching for more power. The 392 is an awesome option because it doesn't change the power to up top only, it gives more everywhere which is more usuable.

All this said, I don't feel the V6 leaves much to be desired. Its perfectly powered for the JT in every way. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like more or there's no benefit to more.

Sponsored

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
I think you're "arguing" that the V6 is enough, which I would agree with you. Its a great engine and has very usable power. However, Im a power junky, Im always chasing it in every car. I tuned an M6 Gran Coupe to over 700 HP on race gas and most recently with my 911, Im itching for more power. The 392 is an awesome option because it doesn't change the power to up top only, it gives more everywhere which is more usuable.

All this said, I don't feel the V6 leaves much to be desired. Its perfectly powered for the JT in every way. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like more or there's no benefit to more.
If you want a sports car experience....buy one.

I have my V6 JT supercharged. This puts me running around 300 hrspwr conservatively. Its great for a Jeep.

When I want to drive a sports car or have all the power - I hop in my SRT.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want a sports car experience....buy one.

I have my V6 JT supercharged. This puts me running around 300 hrspwr conservatively. Its great for a Jeep.

When I want to drive a sports car or have all the power - I hop in my SRT.
Cool. I have a sports car to experience. Now all you're saying is we all should conform to what you want out of your JT. You've lost me completely.

Carry on.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Cool. I have a sports car to experience. Now all you're saying is we all should conform to what you want out of your JT. You've lost me completely.

Carry on.
No, I am saying if you want something that drives and handles like a sports car buy one. If you want a vehicle that drives and handles like a JL/JT buy one.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
What if you want both in one vehicle?